Book 2 - Chapter 3 - Isengard

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Book 2 - Act 3: Isengard

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Telurin considers their situation, then speaks to the others, "What if we put his body on a boat, as a bier, and send him to the Sea? He is of the line of the Kings of old, and he shall pass through Gondorian havens. I do not see how we can carry him up the Greenway and to the scattered Dunedain. It is too far."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Halleth shakes his head and says, wiping tears from his eyes, "I told my liege I would lay him to rest among his ancestors and I will carry out that vow if I must bear his body on my back the whole way." After a moment of thought, he adds, "We could cremate him on a pyre and I could carry his ashes so that he can lay at rest with his forebears."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Dubthach rows his boat to the bank and the men there disembark and pull the boat up on the shore. "So his line ends?" He looks down at the dead Aravule, and looks to Halleth. "We could aid you, it is the least we can do for him now. However after that I will return to Isengard and Saruman." He looks at the other Dunlendings with him. "So shall they, we have family and duties here to do. I can aid you in cricling around Tharbad, and then we shall part until you once more come south to Angrenost."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Halleth nods heavily. "Yes, with Aravule ends the ancient line of the Kings of Cardolan--but is said that a few others of the royal blood of Numenor still live, descended from other lines, so all hope is not lost." That thought seems to give Halleth some strength, though his grief still weighs heavily on him. He turns to Dubhthach and says, "Thank you for the help you and your fellows have offered. We know the battle of Tharbad was not your battle and we are grateful for the risks you took to aid us. May the Valar watch over you as you return to your own lands."
And Aravule's death brings things back neatly in line with canon ...

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:02 pm

"Thank you Dubthach," says Telurin; for what he thanked him he did not specify, but the Elf had left it that way on purpose, as there was much the Dunlending had already done and now promised to do for the company.

Telurin looks around for fallen branches and sticks suitable for a fire. "We cannot hope to carry him and circle Tharbad. So we must build his pyre now." He sets to work, telling the Dunlendings that they must build a small mound, surround it by a small stone wall, and then pack the kindling in thick between the stone wall and atop the mound. While he works, he hopes the others will take care of setting up some kind of camp, of preparing the body, and the other things they would need.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Halleth helps to build the pyre. He says nothing, but he is grateful to Telurin for taking charge of the project--he is having difficulty focusing just now.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:21 pm

The pyre must be grand and large for the King of Cardolan, the last of his line. So for hour you gather the wood needed to burn Aravule like the ancient pagan kings of old. At last the fire is lit and the body of Aravule, son of Arafel, last of his line, is sent into the next world. A great fire rises into the sky, visible from Tharbad, and for a time even in that foul place the fighting comes to an end, a sadness takes over the region. It is the last fading of this noble line. Never again will it rise. Instead some one else will have to take up the banner of Numenor and restore Arnor.

After a long night the fire burns down to ash and you collect what is left. Halleth packs away the remains of his Lord, sadness in his face, but by morning you are ready to set out once more north.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:46 pm

Halleth says grimly, "Let's move as quickly as possible. We may have left our enemies badly off enough that they don't want to pursue us--but if they do, they know where we are now. And my liege would not want us to squander our lives in vain to honor him. He was a proud man, too proud for his own good maybe, but not a tyrant who thought all his followers should die with him, like some wicked pagan king." He sets out, heading for the north and Rivendell.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Telurin nods, glad that their work is done. The Company now has many weeks of travel before they are home again, Aravule--at least his remains--for the very last time.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Hartley sheds tears unashamedly at the site of the funeral pyre. For all of his faults, Aravule was a decent man for which the hobbit had grown to respect. Now that the company was setting off to the north, a new vigor seemed to infuse his steps. As much as he had enjoyed his adventures in the south, the north was more his home and part of him longed to feel the green grass of Breeland between his toes.