Book 2 - Chapter 3 - Isengard

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 2 - Chapter 3 - Isengard

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:53 pm

Image Beneath the mountain's arm within the Wizard's Vale through years uncounted had stood that ancient place that Men called Isengard. Partly it was shaped in the making of the mountains, but mighty works the Men of Westernesse had wrought there of old; and Saruman had dwelt there long and had not been idle.

This was its fashion, while Saruman was at his height, accounted by many the chief of Wizards. A great ring-wall of stone, like towering cliffs, stood out from the shelter of the mountain-side, from which it ran and then returned again. One entrance only was there made in it, a great arch delved in the southern wall. Here through the black rock a long tunnel had been hewn, closed at either end with mighty doors of iron. They were so wrought and poised upon their huge hinges, posts of steel driven into the living stone, that when unbarred they could be moved with a light thrust of the arms, noiselessly. One who passed in and came at length out of the echoing tunnel, beheld a plain, a great circle, somewhat hollowed like a vast shallow bowl: a mile it measured from rim to rim. Once it had been green and filled with avenues, and groves of fruitful trees, watered by streams that flowed from the mountains to a lake. But no green thing grew there in the latter days of Saruman. The roads were paved with stone-flags, dark and hard; and beside their borders instead of trees there marched long lines of pillars, some of marble, some of copper and of iron joined by heavy chains.

Many houses there were, chambers, halls, and passages, cut and tunnelled back into the walls upon their inner side, so that all the open circle was overlooked by countless windows and dark doors. Thousands could dwell there, workers, servants, slaves, and warriors with great store of arms; wolves were fed and stabled in deep dens beneath. The plain, too, was bored and delved. Shafts were driven deep into the ground; their upper ends were covered by low mounds and domes of stone, so that in the moonlight the Ring of Isengard looked like a graveyard of unquiet dead. For the ground trembled. The shafts ran down by many slopes and spiral stairs to caverns far under; there Saruman had treasuries, store-houses, armouries, smithies, and great furnaces. Iron wheels revolved there endlessly, and hammers thudded. At night plumes of vapour steamed from the vents, lit from beneath with red light, or blue, or venomous green.

To the centre all the roads ran between their chains. There stood a tower of marvellous shape.

TTT, Book III, Ch 8, The Road to Isengard

August 26th, 2957, The Third Age of Middle-earth

It has been a few weeks since the Fellowship arrived in Isengard. Its strange but its hard to recall just how long you've actually been here. It seems longer at times, or even shorter at times. Still the time spent has been productive, and will continue to be.

Your access to all of Isengard has been limited, but little by little you have gained some access to other areas. A smithy along the southeast side of the ring wall has been opened up to you, mainly for Telurin's use as Saruman has agreed to work with him and his Lamp. For the most part when you need to spread your wings you head outside of the Ringwall and travel up and down the River Isen among the Vale as far south as the Fords of Isen in the Gap of Rohan. Its out here you train with bow and blade, and put your feet to walking and exploring.

About a week into your stay Dwrgi was called away, and you have not seen her since. She offers some kind good-byes and well wishes and then has returned to her duties for the White Wizard that don't involve your company. Vara, Blain and the dwarves that remain have been talking more and more about moving on and finally its come to it. They have decided they will march north along the eastern side of the Misty Mountains and gaze into the Mirrormere and take a look on the Gates of Durin of Moria. They could not be talked out of it. Blain has decided that he must look on Khazad-dum after seeing Stoneholt, he must see Moria. Saruman has offered them some aid in this, and the Wizard has held several private meetings with Vara and Blain both about the venture. He has even given them supplies and provisions for the trip.

So today Blain stands, dressed for the coming fall weather, ready to march out of Isengard with Vara, Balwain, and Oxdis. So you stand with them at the gates saying your farewells to the Khazad.
Welcome back to the game! It only been a few weeks, we will move forward in great leaps here as you post your Undertakings.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Book 2 - Act 3: Isengard

Post by Wbweather » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:55 am

Hartley is often seen humming to himself and even begins to practice hours a day on a little recorder he carves out of a wood while waiting on the wizard. The other's in the company hear him humming to himself and playing a tune on his hand made instrument. It does not take long to realize that he is working on a song to honor those they lost in battle.
First fellowship phase undertaking: Gain a new specialty trait: Minstrelsy (Replace herb-lore)

Write a song, thematic, battle song: TN 16-2 = 14, Song 2

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Gruffly, Halleth says, "Well, I wish good fortune in this venture--certainly better than the fortune we had in our last quest."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:53 pm

"It has been good to journey with you, Blain son of Balin," says Telurin. "You bring the Dwarves honor, as your father has. May your journey come to its hoped-for ending." When the farewells were completed, Telurin turned away.

Telurin had mixed feelings about their journey to the White Mountains. He did not mind the adventure, but he did not feel he had served Elrond well. The only recourse he had, when he finally returned to Rivendell, was that he had served Saruman the Wise, and could bring tidings to Elrond from him.

-----------

Over the next days Telurin began learning from Saruman and working in the smithy. In truth it was far more of the latter than anything else. The Elfn was more than impressed by Saruman opening a smithy in a short time just for the purpose of teaching him. Of course, it made sense if the wizard was to share of his knowledge of smith-craft, it needed to be practical, and not merely head knowledge.

In reality however, the wizard was setting Telurin to work. It was a test, and specifically, he had to forge a dagger. Though metal-craft was only a part of lamp-craft, and blades were not his strongest suit, the ability to hammer layers and layers of metal over a hot fire would prove to Saruman that Telurin had not only the skill required to learn from him, but could endure the hard labor and conditions without complaint.

Interestingly, though the smithy had been built for the purpose of Telurin's training, he found that somehow the wizard managed to get the fires as hot as those in Rivendell, whose forges were the best among the Elves left in Middle Earth. Of course, the forges of Rivendell were full of special tools and luxuries this simple workshop did not have (though Telurin doubted not the wizard had a private forge somewhere to rival those of Rivendell). But somehow this small smithy could produce a flame that was incredibly intense; and though the small room was sweltering for it, it made the work easier.

One afternoon while continuing to refine the dagger blade Telurin spoke to Saruman who observed from his chair in the corner of the room,and a pipe in hand. The wizard did not usually smoke the pipe openly, but in the smithy he would allow himself the pleasure.

"You have already seen the lamp I made under the tutelage of Ormal," said Telurin, the sweat already heavy on his brow. "I sought you hoping to learn a secret or two that Ormal had yet to reveal to me; insights that I had not yet gained while I was his apprentice - such as how to relight a lamp with little effort. It is always a strain on my energy to use it, but Ormal's lamp never had that issue. I always thought it was the secret to his design, that the lamp itself was the secret. And yet now as I work with your fire in this makeshift smithy, a fire as hot and intense as the forges of Rivendell, I wonder if the secret is in the fire itself."

Saruman chuckled, his deep voice filling the room; but he did not answer for a time, the only sound in the room that of the burning fire and Telurin's hammer. "Have I guessed it?" Telurin asked.

"Yes. And no. The secret is in the fire, and yet if the lamp is not crafted to to hold that fire, it will not work. It will break, in fact," added Saruman.
Raise Craft 2 to 3
I will post the rest of my Fellowship Phase activities later.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Blain and Company offer hearty handshakes to all, and part in friendship and fellowship. Only Vara seems a bit cool, but he doesn't let that stop him from offering friendly good-byes and well wishes of luck on your ventures. The dwarves then march out of Isengard and it is a long time before you ever see them again.

The next day the place seems quiet without the hustle and bustle of the dwarves making their preparations to leave. So you set to work, Hartley works on his songs, and Telurin turns his attention to lamp making. It is Halleth and Dubthach that seem lost now, just aimless among the actions of the others. Halleth desires to seek out Aravule, and its time for him to do that.
Alright

Hartley: Rolled:
Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 5,6t
Totaling: 14 with 1 success= Success on your Song

Undertaking of the others?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Hartley gathers the group together one night and performs his song, which he is quite proud of. The others seem to agree that it is one of his better attempts at composition. The group quickly joins in and before long they are all singing heartily together.
So, since the roll was a great success, the TN for execution will be 14. Since it is a battle song, we can use it before a battle for inspiration. Maybe, I will actually write a song, if I get a chance. :)

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Telurin joins in Hartley's song, which is surprisingly grave for one composed by a Hobbit, and yet he feels it would be inspiring before a battle.

-----

Over the days of working in the smithy, Telurin finally finishes the dagger. The handle is of a black wood, the like of which the Elf has never seen before. It reminds him of some of the twisted oaks of Mirkwood, though it feels far older.

All the materials for the dagger - the metals and wood, had been set out for him before he began. This almost made him feel as if he had been put to work for Saruman on a project the wizard had long desired, instead of being given training.

And yet, he had learned much and had improved. The fire of this forge was a revelation, as well as the subtle tutelage of the wizard, whose very presence seemed to help Telurin enter moments of pure focus, when the heat, clanging, lack of air, and sweat on the forehead could be ignored.

Normally it was a battle for any metal smith to ignore these distractions and focus on the precise work necessary... and yet Saruman's presence and few words of instruction showed the master knew how to teach.

-------

The work finally finished, Telurin puts the newly polished dagger into a small wooden case and ties it with a cloth, preparing it as if it was a gift, and not merely an apprentice's assignment. As he sets it down on a table Saruman often used, to his surprise Telurin finds a box in the corner of his room, something not there even that morning. As he had never seen the wizard leave personal things in the smithy, Telurin lifted the box, which was surprisingly heavy, and set it on the table, slowly opening it.

Inside were a number of pouches, a closer inspection revealing they contained various powders, nearly all of which Telurin was familiar - sand, lime, acid salt, but finally a strange black powder he had never seen before - one with an almost silver gleam to it.

"That is for your new lamp," a deep, regal voice says behind him. "As well as the metals." In the box was a silvery metal that Telurin had indeed seen once before, and though it was but the tiniest amount, it still took his breath away - true silver. Mithril.

Turning around, the Elf begins to thank Saruman, who raises his hand, "No, I thank you. This is a fine dagger and will serve well. You have proven yourself worthy to learn more. I will teach you to make a lamp that can hold the fire that you have discovered. If it too is well made, perhaps I will teach you the secrets of the fire, as well."

-----

Over the days at the forge, Telurin finds that Saruman works with him far more than before, giving more specific instructions on the glass-making, particularly in reference to the unknown black powder. The elf discovers that not only does he learn much at the forge, but he also takes to heart the wizard's thoughtful and wise manner. For an elf, he had always been considered a bit brash (though nothing like the wayward elves), and over this time the hard anvil of Saruman's demeanor had tempered a bit of Telurin's edge. To be fair, the edge was still there... but Telurin had learned to better control it.
Raise Courtesy to 3
-----

Before their days at Isengard came to a close, Telurin had finished his new lamp; the crystal glass was of a hardness he had never seen before, and the fine metalwork around it, particularly due to the mithril, brought his work to a level of beauty he had not imagined being able to achieve for many decades. He gave the credit to the wizard for his near daily instruction and guiding the direction of the project.

In working with the fire of the forge, Telurin also realized that the wizard was showing him the secret of this special fire, if he was but observant. Always Saruman's way had been to present a pupil with all the knowledge needed, and to see how much that pupil would observe and learn on their own, merely helping to keep his attention on those things that were most relevant for the lesson. In this, Telurin had done well, and now he had a fine achievement to show for it.
Taking the next Lamp ability - Lamp of the Far-Traveller. The Lamp & associated abilities doesn't cost Hope to light/use.

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:25 am

Dubhthach spends his time relating in further detail the events of the journey as well as the rumors he heard within the company, particularly those about Gandalf. He also studies lore under Saruman, hoping to gain knowledge that will benefit his people.
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:12 pm

Ever since he has read Aravule's letter to him, Halleth has seemed ill at ease and restless, frequently pacing back and forth, lost in uneasy thoughts.

Finally, he announces to the others, "My liege Aravule has returned to Tharbad in an attempt to take it back, with some of help of some retainers Saruman has sent with him." He looks embarrassed as he continues, "My liege has forbidden me to join him, feeling the victory will be greater if he achieves it on his own. I am loath to disobey him, but in my heart, I know I do not serve him well if I remain here while he is in danger. And those of you who were with us before we came to this tower know Aravule well--he is a proud man, as is befitting a king, but sometimes he is too proud and that he leads him to be foolhardy. So I have decided that to best serve him, I must disobey him and go to his side and be his adviser."

With this, he goes to the guards at the door and says, "I would like to set out on the road as soon as possible."

After a short while, the guards lead Halleth out of their quarters--but, to his surprise, they lead him not to the gate but to Saruman. "So, you intend to join your liege, despite his orders to you?" asks the white wizard.

"Yes," says Halleth resolutely. "I do not like to disobey him, but I feel I will best serve him by doing so, going to his side and being his adviser. Aravule is a proud man--you must know this if you have worked with him--sometimes so proud it blinds him. I want to provide him with what wise counsel I can so he does nothing he will later regret."

Saruman sits on this throne, regarding Halleth a long moment. He makes a gesture and a retainer brings a chair. "Sit," he commands. After Halleth uneasily does so, Saruman says, "I will grant you leave to follow your liege, but first I would speak with you. I have spoken with Aravule about the disaster that befell you at Carn Dûm. But I would hear your thoughts on the matter--you may have seen thinks he did not. Plus, I understand you are widely traveled and have seen many things, including creatures of the Shadow, in Eriador."

Halleth nods and, uneasily at first, shares what he saw both at Carn Dûm and elsewhere in his travels. He finds to his surprise that Saruman not only takes in what he says, but often speaks to tell him more of the evils he has seen. At one point, the white wizard says, "The power of the Shadow grows. You are an uncouth man, but at heart, you are a good one, who will stand against the Enemy. The more you know of his servants, the better you will do so." When their meeting is done, Halleth feels like he has learned much from the wizard--but also like a new darkness hangs over his heart from the new knowledge. Saruman may have taught him much in a short amount of time, but his manner did nothing to set Halleth's heart at ease.
Confer with Saruman: Gain the Shadow-lore trait at the cost of permanent point of Shadow.
It is late once his conference with Saruman is over, so he returns to his quarters for the night. The next morning he sets out in pursuit of Aravule.
Vardaen, I'll let you describe what happens in Tharbad. Then I can say what role Halleth plays in it and how he bumps up his skills and gains the Star of the Dunedain.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Seosaidh why don't you go ahead and make a post similar to the others. IC info on how you gain your various stats for the XP and AP you spend
Halleth is restless, and his troubles bring him to Saruman, who teaches the Ranger much, but heavy hangs the lore he's learned on his heart. Halleth must leave to find Aravule, and eventually he does. The morning comes where he finally leaves Isengard, with Dwrgi as a guide. The woman has returned from whatever task Saruman had set her. "A pleasure ta travel with you again Halleth." So on the morning of Telurin's training with the dagger, Halleth and Dwrgi leave Angrenost and head south down the road. The trip from Isengard to Tharbad is not without its dangers, but the pair are well suited for it. Both have traveled plenty, and the Dunlending knows the land and the people and that aids greatly many times along the road. Eventually they reach the town of Tunum and are welcomed in. Halleth learns some news of Tharbad, it seems there is trouble there, fighting in the streets, and conflict among its peoples. That pushes him to travel faster and further each day, so when finally the pair do spot Tharbad in the distance they are tired and weary from the road.

Tharbad is much as Halleth left it, save that a portion of it seems to have burned down since last you were present. Aravule has rallied the people in places against the thugs and forces of the Black Numenorian Arguzagar. There is in fact fighting the streets, open battle for the heart of the ruined city. Smoke from war rises in places, and it seems at all hours of the day the echos of a fighting taking place somewhere filter to one's ears. Halleth seeks Aravule in all of this, and finds him without trouble. He is at the fore, pushing forward. He has in fact managed to secure the entire southern half of the city on this side of the river. Arguzagar's forces still hold the island and the city on the northern banks, but there are pockets of resistance here and there against the Black Numenorian's rule. Those people you aided once, have proven to be loyal and good folks, and have rallied to Aravule's cause even in the face of real danger.

It is late one evening, even as Telurin is handing over his new forged dagger to Saruman, when Halleth finally finds Aravule. The "King" is taking a quick meal as he looks over a map of the city laid out on a table in the broken yard of your old head quarters.