Book 2 - Chapter 3 - Isengard

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Book 2 - Act 3: Isengard

Post by Muskrat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Halleth nods. "Let us do it. We are fighting to free this city--but I fear soon there will be nothing left of the city once it is free. It is best we finished this quickly."

He paces back and forth, then says, "I am not only a skilled warrior, but a master of stealth. If I can go ahead, I may be able to sneak onto the island and sabotage their defenses enough to give you the edge in laying siege to the island. Perhaps I could take a small force with me, who are also master scouts and saboteurs."
I'm essentially proposing I take advantage of my Burglary trait to sneak onto the island and see what I can do to disable its defenses.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:06 pm

"I have a better thought," says Telurin. "Let us approach before dawn, when seeing across the river will be far more difficult for the defenders. Then I will construct special sides and roofs for our boats. The sides will protect those inside from arrows coming from far away, but as we approach we will need protection from a higher angle. The roofs will protect at that point, and will enable us to get all the way to the island with minimal harm from the arrows. The most difficult part will be to debark and fight our way onto shore. But if Halleth already has secured a secret foothold, he and the men with him can hold off the defenders enough for the main force to arrive."
Craft 3 (favoured), spend Hope if needed to build these defenses onto the boats.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:02 am

Hartley looks at the men and elf for a long time as he thinks of what he can do. Finally he says, "I am obviously no great warrior, but I can move stealthily and am a decent shot with a bow. Perhaps I might come with you Halleth and help as I may. Perhaps I can find a vantage point from which to provide cover fire as the boat lands."
Stealth 3 (favored) use a point of hope if necessary. Perhaps use nimble to climb to a vantage point from which to shoot.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Aravule paces, "I do not like delays...." he is a brash man and you know that, "...but I can't risk any more lives. We will build these boat defenses. Halleth can find us a landing place, and Hartley you can man this shore with those two cowardly to make the assault." He realizes how that sounds, "I will need someone brave enough to lead those men who stay behind. I do not call into question your own bravery sir hobbit."
Craft Rolled:
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 1,6t,2
Totaling: 14 with 1 success
So you set to work on the boats, it isn't going to be a quick job. Telurin has the skill and you barely have the supplies. It takes a long while to prepare the materials, to assemble the wood, and nails and the man power to make the shields. Telurin builds the first, and explains the task to many others, but it isn't easy, but its possible. It will take days to complete however.

During this time Halleth scouts the shores on this side of the river, and with Hartley's eagle eyes spots a place to land. The hobbit manages to find a decent spot on the broken bridge to set up a post for those remaining behind that might be able to reach and fire to help cover the boats. Its only just barely good enough.
Hartley Stealth - Rolled:
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 1,1,5
Totaling: 12 FAIL + Hope = Sucess
One night during the construction time, Halleth and Hartely are out scouting the shore, Telurin is working with the men to finish up the boat shields when all Mandos breaks loose. The cries of battle ring out, the clash of swords and a sudden burst of fire from back at the headquarters. A raid! A raid from the east! Scores of wild men are attacking from the east. They must have circled around the city the long way, taking advantage of your delays in building the boats. They have come on Aravule and what men he had with him in the headquarters. A fire rises as they torch the roof, and the screams and howls of battle carry over the land.

Halleth and Hartley are a good distance away, but the shouts and flames are a give away to them. While Telurin is a bit closer along the near bank, but even he isn't within striking distance. Whatever battle is taking place may be over with by the time you reach Aravule!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Hartley looks to Halleth, "Aravule is in trouble. We should lend him aid although I am not certain what we can do other than attack from the rear and try to divide the enemy force. Do you have any better idea?"

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Telurin hears the noise and sees the flames, and tells the men working on the boats to quietly follow him. He leaves two men back to keep an eye on the river, and asks them to sound the alarm if anything appears amiss coming from the Island.

He looks in the direction of where Halleth and Hartley were to see if he can signal to them, and point in the direction he intends to lead the men in the succor of Aravule.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Halleth says, "Blast and double blast!" He paces a moment, "I fear all our preparations may come to nothing if we move away from here--but we cannot risk my liege Aravule being slain. Let's move. I think our best bet is, as you say, to get here as quickly as possible and attack our foes from the rear." He rallies whatever men he has with him and begins marching as rapidly as possible towards the battle.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:17 pm

The three are on their way.

Halleth and Hartley are racing through the streets toward the headquarters, hoping they can arrive before its too late.

Telurin gathers the men, eight in all, and starts up the bank toward the headquarters. He's moving with stealth and speed, but still he's slower than the others, and before he and his men reach the headquarters Halleth and Hartley have caught up to him, coming from the right of his group. Together the eleven turn a corner and spy the burning head quarters. The roof is nearly gone, it was the target of a dozen flaming arrows and a few torches. Out in the yard Aravule, and Dubthach and others are doing battle against overwhleming odds, easily out numbered three or four to one at this point. Men, your men, are scattered about the yard, stuck with arrows, or laying dead from sword and spear strikes.

Aravule is quickly being overwhelmed, and between you and him are a dozen more men. They are dark men, wild men, with the look of Dunlendings to them, but something else. Their have swirling tattoos, and are dressed in hides and bear spears and axes with stone and bone heads. There is a feeling of Dreudain to them, but you can tell they aren't of those people. Aravule is beset by the leader of those people, a great man with a heavy axe. The two do battle, but many enemy stand between you, and the swirl of battle means you can't reach Aravule, not yet at least.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Telurin watches from the shadows of the buildings. Even the eleven of them cannot turn the tide here, even to rescue Aravule. Perhaps he could provide a distraction to enable them to escape? He puts his hand on his lamp, considering whether to light it, but then remembers Aravule's pride. The man would never run from battle, even if it meant he might return another day to win.

Such a distraction would only bring certain death upon himself, the men working for him, and his friends Hartley and Halleth.

Dubthach on the other hand...he would be wise and would see such an opportunity to escape. Telurin prepares to light his lamp...
If Seosaidh posts to indicate he'll have Dubthach escape, Telurin will be the first to help him. If Seosaidh says to retire his PC, then Telurin will soon see it was already too late...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Aravule and Ducthatch are holding their own, but the men around them, those men who have been working and living and fighting for Aravule won't last long. Perhaps Aravule deserves what is coming to him, perhaps, but do the men who fight for him?