Book 2 - Chapter 3 - Isengard

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 2 - Act 3: Isengard

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:04 pm

The Fellowship starts the long trip north.

From the banks of the Gwathlo trough Minhirath you travel north for time until you cross the Green Way. It is here that Dubthatch and the others take their leave. You offer strong hand shakes and promises to return one day to Isengard and the wise councils of Saruman. Dubthatch leads his men east across Cardolan and eventually into Eregion before turning south into Dunland and home.

You on the other hand travel along the Green Way north and west, then find the fork some ways before Sarn Ford and turn north heading for Bree. The other option, the wilds of Cardolan and Eregion would be shorter for a crow to fly, but you are men and elves and hobbits and so the road is your path. After many long weeks as autumn is all around you you finally spy Bree Hill rising up before you. Halleth's skills in the wild and in hunting have kept your fed, but Hartley can't wait for a proper meal and a cold ale at the Prancing Pony Inn.

You stay in that fine place for many days, and learn of news and gossip from the region. More importantly however are the soft beds, cold ale, and hot breakfasts (and second breakfasts, and elevensies). Eventually even you are bored of Bree, and you set out east along the East Road for Rivendell and the Rangers. Another week plus more and you have left Amon Sul behind and cross the Last Bridge and find yourselves going over the Fords of the Bruinen. Finally, you are returned to Imladris even as the first snow flakes of winter begin to fall.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Halleth's heart is heavy and he finds no joy in Bree, but sips quietly and morosely, sipping ale. He is restless and eager to move on, but tries to be patient as the others rest, something at which he is only partially successful. When they set out to see Rivendell and the Dunedain, his pace is quick, for he is eager to see his kin after losing his liege.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Telurin is glad when they finally come in sight of Bree, but his feeling is small compared to Hartley. The Hobbit looks apt to burst with relief and happiness. It is with a bit of surprise to the Elf that Hartley is willing to leave Bree once again after having been gone so long.

Finally the company enters the familiar Vale, where time has stopped and beauty is in every corner. Telurin looks forward to being home again, to rest, and to returning to duty under Lord Elrond. But the moment to report of all their doings has not yet come; first is rest, and food, and refreshment in the Hall of Fire.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue May 01, 2018 6:29 pm

At Bree, Hartley is excited to catch up on all the gossip that has circulated over the last year. Somehow though he realizes that his adventuring has made him somewhat of an outsider. Other Breelanders look at him like he is a ghost. They listen to his tales, applaud in all the right places, but he suspects they all believe him a bit mad or perhaps prone to a little too much embellishment. There is a new hobbit that has taken his place at the Pony. I nice chap named Ned whom Hartley had seen around town occasionally before he left on his trek south. It seems most people assumed he was never returning after winter came and went without word of Mr. Sandheaver.

Of course, this made his decision to leave Bree for Rivendell all the easier. He explained it to Telurin this way one night: "It's not like I no longer belong here, but it's like they've moved on without me. I don't know what I expected to return to, I guess I though maybe it would be like I never went away. That's not how it is though. Folks around here are friendly, but I get the sense that I make them uncomfortable. I am just now realizing that you and Halleth, you're my truest friends now. I think it's time to get back on the road."

Now that they were arriving at Rivendell, he looked forward to seeing what a proper elvish place really was like.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Last Homely House: Rivendell

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 01, 2018 7:03 pm

There at the bottom of a sharp incline you see before you a long flat mile, and beyond that the Ford of Rivendell. On the further side is a steep brown bank, threaded by a winding path; and behind that the tall mountains climb, shoulder above shoulder, and peak beyond peak, into the fading sky.

"We have now come to the River Hoarwell, that the Elves call Mitheithel. It flows down out of the Ettenmoors, the troll-fells north of Rivendell, and joins the Loudwater away in the South. Some call it the Greyflood after that. It is a great water before it finds the Sea. There is no way over it below its sources in the Ettenmoors, except by the Last Bridge on which the Road crosses." says Telurin.

'What is that other river we can see far away there?' asks Hartley.

'That is Loudwater, the Bruinen of Rivendell,' answers Telurin. 'The Road runs along the edge of the hills for many miles from the Bridge to the Ford of Bruinen.'

You reach the Ford of Bruinen and can hear the soft sounds of elven music drifting on the air. All your worries fade in this enchanted valley. The valley known as Imladris (Elvish for deep valley of the cleft) is one of the many gullies and ravines dug by the waters of the river Bruinen, the Loudwater, as they tumble down from the Misty Mountains to the east. Elrond the Halfelven came here in another age of the world, looking for a refuge for the High Elves of Eregion fleeing from the destruction of their land.

For centuries, the Elves dwelt in peace in the hidden valleys of the region, but their Lord always kept a watchful eye on the manoeuvres of the Enemy. The hosts assembled for the Last Alliance of Elves and Men mustered in Imladris before they were ready to move against Mordor, and Elrond was always a steadfast ally of the Dunedain of Arnor in their wars against Angmar.

In the Third Age, Elrond chose to give protection to the Heirs of Isildur, and since the end of the North-kingdom the sons of the Chieftains of the Dunedain have been raised in Rivendell, and the heirlooms of their house left in the keeping of its Master.

But five thousand years are a long time even for the Elves, and the sorrows they endured were many. With the passing of the centuries the number of the Elvenfolk of Rivendell dwindled, as more and more left Imladris to return West over the Great Sea. The house of Elrond became a sanctuary for the weary and the oppressed, and a safe haven where the memory of all that had been fair could be preserved from the injuries of time.

All those who are in grave need of good counsel or protection come looking for the Last Homely House.
The River Bruinen flows down from the Misty Mountains past Rivendell. Flowing through Eriador, it joins the river Mitheithel. As the Bruinen and Mitheithel flow together, they become known as the Gwathló, meaning Greyflood. That flows through the city of Tharbad and past Lond Daer before finally reaching the sea.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed May 02, 2018 5:45 pm

Halleth sighs heavily as Rivendell comes into view. Normally, he might say something condescending about the elves who chose to hide here in safety. Now, his heart is too heavy from Aravule's death. He is looking forward to a chance to take a break and lay his liege properly to rest.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Hartley stares at the rushing waters cascading like a silver river through the valley of Imladris. "It is a strange thing to think that if we were to let this river take us were it would, we would soon find ourselves back in Tharbad. I wish never to see that place again. If only these waters would impart some of their magic to that town and wash away some of it's dark stain. But enough dark thoughts, I get the sense that this is a place where one cannot help but feel cheerful."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Halleth shakes his head and says morosely, "Outwardly the elves here may be of good cheer, but they're actually a melancholy people. They're all slowly leaving Middle Earth to sail to the uttermost West. They don't view this place--any place in Middle Earth--as really being their home."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri May 04, 2018 8:32 pm

"Then I feel pity for them. I can't imagine not feeling like there was a home waiting for me at the end of the journey." As the words cross his lips, the hobbit remembers his brief stay in Bree and suddenly thinks he perhaps does understand a bit of what Halleth is referring to.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri May 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Telurin is saddened by Halleth's words for they ring true. "I have lived in Rivendell for many years, but it is not my home. In Thranduil's realm, most of our folk are merry, and ignore the call of the sea or make themselves feel at home, with much merrymaking, and forgetting of the past. But in my own pursuit of craft, I was connected to the work of ages long past, and therefore to the Eldar who are on their way West, albeit slowly.

And though I came to Rivendell to improve my ability, and now it is a second home to me, I cannot overstate the shock I felt seeing the number of Elves who came only to leave again forever.

Is is indeed the Last Homely House, though for my part, I hope someday to return East, and to make my home once more in the Eaves of Mirkwood."

Telurin is suddenly quiet, clearly pondering something. In fact, he was remembering the days before this long journey south, when he had sat speaking long in the Hall of Fire with Aerondil*, waiting for Aravule to recover.

*This moment is what he was remembering...
http://www.dicefellowship.org/viewtopic ... 77#p293181