Book 2 - Chapter 3 - Isengard

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Aravule's Final Rest

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Winter has come to the outside world, but here in Rivndell it is always spring. The long months of cold are busy months for the fellowship. First comes the laying of Aravule to rest. A week after arriving in Imladris the company departs again and make for the Angle of the rivers, where many of the Dunedain now dwell in peace and safety. There the funeral for Aravule is conducted. Many Dunedain are present, and even Elrond, and his twin sons Elladan and Elrohir are present. With them is Aragorn son of Arathorn, 16th Chieftain of the Dunedain. He is leaving shortly for a long venture into the wild, but he delays his trip long enough to be witness to Aravule's final moments before his ashes are interned into a small barrow.

Afterwards you return to Rivendell, or remain in this lands through the winter. Your tales are told to Elrond and to others. You are content here in these cold months, but as spring nears, the wanderlust that plagues your company is creeping back into your feet. So it will be that in the Spring of the Third Age of 2958 your peace and idleness will end.
The end of the Fellowship Phase. If you'd like to RP a bit more, post reactions to the funeral that's fine. I'll work on a new Adventure Phase chapter start this week.

Fellowship Phase begins 2957 August
Aragorn Born 2931
Learns of his lineage 2952
Leaves for Gondor and the wild 2957 (1 week after Aravule's Funeral)
FEllowship Phase ends 2958 Spring
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Aravule's Final Rest

Post by Muskrat » Mon May 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Halleth, as one might expect, is rather melancholy. He is genuinely touched by the fact that Elrond has left the safety of Rivendell to attend Aravule's funeral and his opinion of the usually secluded elf-lord improves somewhat.

At the end of the funeral, he approaches Aragorn and kneels before him. "I wish to thank you for coming to my late liege's funeral. I sought to serve the heirs of the kings of Cardolan faithfully, but now their line is dead. I blame myself in some measure, for I was unable to protect them--I live but they are dead, though I was by their side when they fell. But you are the last remaining heir to the same bloodline, the ancient royal line of Arnor and Numenor. If you will permit it, I would swear allegiance to you, to carry on my oath and try to make amends for my failure to protect my liege. I know you must travel far and you have no reason to take someone unknown like me with you, but if you ever call on me to serve you, know that I will do my best to come."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Aravule's Final Rest

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Aragorn places a hand on Halleth's shoulder, his words are filled with noblity, "I have no need for a faithful of the Dunedain to swear their allegiance to me if they are faithful men of Arnor. I am of the line of our king, but a man must prove his worth not by just the history of his bloodline, but the history of his actions. Stand, I am no king, only the chieftain of our people now." He smiles and looks off into the distance as if seeing something far away. "Do your duty as a Ranger, as a Dunedain, aid the small people of these lands, be true and loyal to our people and our allies, and always strive to carry the light even against the great darkness and you will have not let down your liege, your chieftain or yourself."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Aravule's Final Rest

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue May 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Though Telurin spends time with the company, now that they are back in Rivendell, he is again under Elrond's orders, as a guard and soldier. The years have been mainly peaceful however, and so he is given free time to work at the forge or to visit with the others. Elrond has told him to be on call, however, for even in years of peace there is a need for the Elves to investigate rumors of Trolls in the area, or to guard the companies of Elves passing West.

Aragorn is yet very young, but something about the man seemed ancient to Telurin. He sensed a wisdom that Aravule unfortunately lacked, and wondered if this was the man he ought to have helped.
Perhaps that chance or need would come; for now it seemed their ways would part.

Back in Rivendell, Telurin continues to meet Elves who are obeying the call to the sea. He remembers an Elf-prince named Barahir, his daughter a weaver whose name he never got, who remained at the Last Homely House, but whose wife and mother left. He also discovers that one of the forges is now cold, the master smith having also taken a ship West.

Just like the winter, every year saw Elves disappear from Middle Earth, and it saddened Telurin.

But, with the coming of spring he was reminded that there were still many Elves like himself, who had a fire and ambition inside, and would continue to contribute the gifts of the Eldar to the summers of Middle Earth.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Aravule's Final Rest

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Halleth stands and bows to Aragorn, "Thank you, sir." He looks in puzzlement at Aragorn. He has a noble bearing, but he seems to have none of Arafel or Aravule's pride or ambition. Halleth thinks Aragorn will not be a bad leader, but probably won't amount to much either. "I will do my best to carry on the duties of the Dundedain," he finishes.
Evidently, Halleth is not necessarily the best judge of what makes a good leader. :lol: