Book 3: Chapter 1 - Nightmares of Angmar

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Night April 27th: Northern Barrow

Post by AndyDez » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:29 am

I'm in! Half way through this semester, next is easier classes and I should be more active. If you'll have me, I'd like to stay
"I shall stay. We've come so far and seen so much. I am compelled to save this Man from eternal pain! His screams will stay with me forever. To think his suffering can be stopped, and I did nothing to help......." Hugo trails off unable to speak as images of the tormented spirit flashes into his mind. Who could abandon the quest now?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

April 28th: Breaking of the Fellowship

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:49 pm

Thanks, I have had to 'wing it' a bit here and there, and changed my concept more than once! I'm glad its been good.

I have messaged LottieK on Discord, no reply. If anyone has contact with her, please find out what's up. If no reply by the time we move on north Perrie will return to Rivendell with Nim.
Perrie is silent, the older man's head and eyes are down, he's gripped with fear. He owes nothing to Halleth or the Rangers. He's a simple Breeman, and terror grips his heart. He can not speak on his choice, "...let us see what morning brings." With that he returns to his bed roll near the camp fire and curls up in it, staring into the flames until he falls into a fitful sleep.

Nimryon shakers her head, "At least that man should come with me, only foolish loyalty drives men to go north now." She returns to the fire and sits, watching Perrie and keeping guard.

There is a point here, you need rest, and the cold of the hills is all around you. Adding some wood to the fire you turn in for what's left of the night. When the dawn arrives you are covered in a cold dew, the fire still crackles from Nim's attentiveness to it over the course of the night. Hartley and Hugo know how to cheer everyone up, a good hot breakfast. You eat in silence and pack the camp. Its time now.

Nimroyn places a hand on Perrie's shoulder, "Come, we will return to Rivendell."
I'll give LottieK until Monday to reply. If not we separate here.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:37 am

Halleth says to Perrie and Nimronyn, "Safe journey. If we should perish in Carn Dum, at least you will be able to tell others what happened to us." He looks at Telurin and the two hobbits and says gruffly, "And I am grateful for your company into that evil place. I've wandered in dark place on my own in my time, but it is better to wander in them with stout companions." He looks a way, a bit embarrassed by what he just said.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:07 pm

Telurin nods, but says nothing so as not to further embarrass the Ranger. He knows that it was through the combined might of Elves and Men that Sauron suffered his first defeat in Middle Earth, and though it wasn't a lasting one, he felt much better knowing that the elder and younger races were together in this.

In fact, perhaps having the halflings along with them could make a difference in this whole thing, too.

That was a new thought!

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:01 pm

"If you could return to Bree and let them know where we are going, Perrie, then that would give me some comfort. At least what folks remember me will know what happened to me. Or at least that I died bravely, even if they think I was foolish to run off on adventures." Hartley was tempted to head back to Bree himself, but loyalty to his friend was stronger than his desire to return home.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Perrie stands before Hartley and nods, "Of course, I'll tell everyone of all your deeds." He then walks over to Hugo and rests both his hands on the Hobbit. He leans forward and gives the little man a deep hug. With hushed words he whispers to the hobbit, "I beg you not to go, you have done all you can for them now. Why go on Hugo? Please, come with me, cowardly or not we are not Rangers or Elves. We are simple Bree-folk you and I." His eyes are tearing up at the thought of Hugo's inevitable death in the north. He locks eyes with Hugo and then wipes away his tears. "Perhaps I was wrong, you are anything but simple Master Underbarrow, I see it now in your eyes." He goes into his pack and takes out a small bundle, "Here take this, it won't help you in the dark cold places of the world but maybe it will bring you comfort." He hands it over, and then turns his back to the company, clearing away his tears, unable to look at the group for shame in his cowardace. "I am ready Nimroyn."

The Noldor Elf nods to Perrie, then looks to Halleth and Telurin, "I still say your Doom awaits, and now you take these innocents to their doom also. I will tell Master Elrond all that I have seen, and pray to Eru that I am wrong." She turns too, and with Perrie at her side head down the hill and quickly hurries south soon out of sight. As the pair vanish into the distance you realize Nim has left her pack of supplies behind, perhaps a final gesture of fellowship.
Alright, the two are done. We can gather ourselves, and set out!

I think what I'm going to do is let you all react to the posts, then end the chapter. 38 pages is enough. Obviously we don't have time for a real Fellowship Phase, but what I'll allow you to do is spend your AP/XP on any skills, etc... that you have used or make sense since we started this chapter. Things like raising weapon skills, or stealth make sense, getting a Culture Boon of some Item does not. Make sense? Watch the OOC for info on this.

But first a few RP posts to finish us up.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Halleth watches the Nimronyn and Perrie off. When they are out of sight, he says, "Well, it is best to be underway as soon as possible. But first ..." He opens up Nimronyn's pack and begins redistributing the items among the four of them to make it easier to carry the goods.

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndyDez » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:40 am

Hugo bites his lip as the pair depart. Perrie and he have spent many days together roaming the wilderness about Bree. But he knows Perrie's heart remains in Bree, and his only desire is to defend it from harm. Hugo, however, has only old, dusty books behind him.

Hugo inspects the given gift and smirks, recognizing the pungent scent of quality leaf! This will indeed become useful in the very near future.

He helps break camp and packs his gear, ready to move on.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 am

"I think it wise for Perrie to return. He has a family, and it would not have been right for him to disappear forever," replies Telurin. "If we return alive from this, we must visit Bree again. I would not want him to live with guilt of turning back."

With that, and camp packed, Telurin turns around, facing North. A breeze picks up and turns to a cold wind, stinging the Elf's face.

"Ah," he says, "A fresh breeze, a taunt, from the Nroth. Well, I for one find it refreshing. Let's bring a little fire into that cold-hearted place." Those who look at the Elf see a twinkle in his eye; as if the bit of mischief that was once regularly apart of his manner was allowed to come through again.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Hartley does his best to encourage Hugo over the next few days. "Hang in there chap, we'll see Perrie again. I trust Halleth and Telurin with my life, they will see us back to Bree soon enough. For now, it will be good to have another hobbit beside me when we head north. That pipeweed won't hurt either."