Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Arrival of the Hill-Men

Post by AndyDez » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:15 am

Hugo steps abreast with Hartley, forcing a beaming smile! "Hullo Chieftain Cynbal! I am Hugo, son of Harry Underburrow of Brandy Hall, the Shire! And I am sad to inform you, we are not dwarves, nor petty! We are Hobbits and come from the south with these stout companions of ours!"

He gestures with a sweeping bow to the party. When turned away from their visitors he forces a broad, but nervous, smile towards the company.
Courtesy 3
I am prepared to ante up as well (Prosperous). I also have Perrie's leaf!
Last edited by AndyDez on Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Arrival of the Hill-Men

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:50 pm

The chieftain of the hill men looks Hugo up and down, "Never heard of no Hobbits, you ain't beardless dwarves, you ain't Men neither, baby elves? I don't care much for elves." He looks at Telurin as he says that, "At least the elf with you has some manners, we don't take tolls, we aren't bridge trolls."

The man at his side, Fráech, plants the butt of his spear in the dirt, "They are on the Black Hill, and ain't told us why yet Cynbal."

"True Fráech." The chieftain looks at you all, "Answer my question. Who are you and why are you here?"
Hugo Courtesy
Rolled:
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die: 5,5,5
Totaling: 17 = success
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Arrival of the Hill-Men

Post by Muskrat » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:11 pm

"Looking for a missing friend," says Halleth. He proceeds to tell a version of the story of why they are up here, one that, while not false, leaves out important elements. He tells them he had dreams that the brother of a chieftain he had once served, a man who had fallen in battle, was lost somewhere in these lands and that he had to seek him out. Halleth tells of the dreams and some parts of their journey with some vividness, but leaves out the parts having to do with the royal line of the Dunedain and Rivendell. In doing so, he tries to play on the Hill-Men's sense of loyalty to their own people, so that they might see his quest in a similar, sympathetic light.
Use Storyteller trait

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Arrival of the Hill-Men

Post by Wbweather » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:04 am

Hartley looks at these folk, living in the wild so far removed from the life he was accustomed to. These people lived by meager standards even compared to those of the Dunlendings. "Sir, as my companion has told you, we seek out a man lost in the north. Perhaps you can tell us the safes way to travel north from here. Have you seen many orcs about?"
Persuade 2

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Arrival of the Hill-Men

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:12 pm

Two men, from among the others now move up. You think at first you are seeing double, for they are twins, but you quickly realize that. They bear a great likeness to the chieftain Cynbal. These burly men carry extra-long iron spears. In fact, they wear many pieces of iron jewellery such as rings, bracelets, and clasps. Even their helms are shod with layered plates, sections, and ornaments, making them the most elaborately designed of the tribal headgear. Their beards are forked and plaited for convenience when they eat or speak. One is missing fingers while the other is blind in one eye.

"Father," speaks the blinded one, "this one that speaks, he is..."

The one missing fingers finishes his brother's thoughts, "...clearly one of the Elf Friends, we can not trust him."

Cynbal holds his hand up to his sons, "Can we not Durthacht? Is it because of his blood? Or because he travels with an Elf Madacht?" The chieftain shakes his head, "They seek one of their own, loyalty to family and tribe is honorable."

Hartley asks a question, but is cut off almost at once...

"We will tell you nothing little man!", the sudden and wild shout come from yet another of the warriors. This man is wild, there is a look in his eyes that says he is more wolfhound than man, and cruel too boot. He wears no helm, leaving his unkempt hair to poke in every direction, filled with needles and thistles. His clothes are ragged and stained by the blood of pine martens(which he loves to kill for sport — with his teeth)! You get the feeling anyone encountering him needs to be wary, for at any moment his mood may shift, and they could find themselves the victim of a savage bite or a razor-sharp fingernail cut to the throat.

"Enough Taredd! Are you chieftain or am I?!" The chieftain can feel the air around him, both against you, and curious of you. "Words are only so much use here. In these lands, men are judged worthy by their skill with a blade or a spear, or by a display of their strength. Show me!" He looks at Halleth when he speaks this, but you get the feeling anyone one of you might step forward as a champion of the fellowship. "Show me how you handle your weapon."
I'm looking for a weapon display, two successful rolls of your weapon (TN 14).
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Arrival of the Hill-Men

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:29 pm

"Very well," says Halleth. "It certainly takes more than words to survive in most lands." He steps forward, then turns at right angles to the tribesmen and draws his sword--he wants to make it clear that he is not taking the command to show his skill with a weapon as an invitation to attack. He moves through a series of forms with his sword, as he was trained to do, but allowing the years of actual practice to make it fluid.
Spend Hope if necessary. I think we'd all rather this not degenerate into a combat.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Arrival of the Hill-Men

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Telurin steps forward, his great spear in hand. It was made by the Dunlendings, and has delicately carved curves and spirals in its shaft.

"If this is not enough," he adds "I will gladly spar any of you with wood or blunted weapons. We stop at first contact of weapon to body."
Spears + mastery, roll 5, keep best 4.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Arrival of the Hill-Men

Post by Wbweather » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:29 am

Hartley's eyes grow wide fearing the worst for a moment but soon he realizes that these men want to see a display of weapons skill. He smiles a wide grin as he cheers on Halleth. "Go ahead and show them the skills of a ranger."

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

Post by AndyDez » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 am

Hugo calmly and slowly moves just out of the way of both groups and fetches his smoking pouch. If this ends poorly, he wants space to employ his bow!

As the Big People whirl and twirl, he packs a pipe of Perrie's leaf (saving his own...for emergencies of course!). As the bowl glows hot, Hugo presents his "best skills" by filling the air with impressive rings of smoke! As he relaxes, he smiles wide as the blades dance, occasionally looking at the Wild-men to gauge their mood!
Smoking, keen-eyed. Looking to see if the Chief is interested in the pipe. If so I'd wordlessly offer it to him with a grin, nod, and non-threatening gesture

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Test of Worth

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Halleth begins, the Chieftain ignore Telurin (for now), as he watches the Ranger begin his blade form. Halleth steps, swings, strikes. He catches some bad footing, but even with that he manages to hold his form and slices through the air. No one says anything as he pivots and starts to dance back. Hugo's pipe lights, and several eyes turn on him, watching the smoke rings that float about the air. The chieftain could not care any less, but the woman and the twins spare glances at the hobbit and his dancing smoke.

Halleth drops to one knee, slices up, spins and hacks down into an imaginary foe in a powerful finish.

The chieftain grunts, "Good. I am satisfied. Come, this place is no place to stand and talk for long. Many dark eyes can see here. You will come to our village, we can speak more than, and you Champion of the Little People will be tested against my men further. Impress me, and I may aid you, fail, and I will not hinder you on your way into the cold but you will leave that fine sword with me. Yes?"
Halleth 2 Rolls TN14

First Round
Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 4,4,3
Totaling: 11
with 1 Auto Success = Success

Second Round
Rolled:
Feat Die: 6*
Success Die: 3,1,6t
Totaling: 16 with 1 success = Great Success!