Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Test of Worth

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Halleth pauses momentarily, reluctant to risk giving up his sword--but he thinks a refusal to accept the invitation may be met with violence, so he sheaths his blade and nods. "Yes, I'd be glad to go to your village and speak further." If they ever made it back from this trip, he might even have some valuable intelligence on the Hill-Men he could share with the other Rangers.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Test of Worth

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:25 pm

Telurin nods at Halleth being willing to take the risk, and his performing to the chief's pleasure. He was glad to see that he passed the test.

He whispers to the halflings, "Perhaps we can get through these lands with only Orcs and the terrors of Carn Dum to deal with. There is more than enough trouble on the horizon to not have these men to also deal with."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Test of Worth

Post by Wbweather » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Hartley smiles at Hugo, "Well done with the pipe weed. I don't know about these hill-men, but I was impressed. Let's share a bowl later. Now come friend, lets go see what sort of allies we have won."

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Test of Worth

Post by AndyDez » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Hugo taps the pipe clean, winks at Hartley and says "Well I don't think the head man has eyes but for swords, but a few of his people seemed impressed! Good ol' Perrie! I shall have to tell him of his pipe's prowess whenever I return to Bree!"

As the group packs and prepares to move, Hugo maneuvers towards Halleth. "I've seen very little in the way of sword play, and even less of combat. You are truly amazing with a blade!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Test of Worth

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Halleth shrugs. "I had good teachers--and I've had to use it a lot. Anyway, the real test isn't running through the forms with the sword--it's when someone else is trying to kill you. I hope we can avoid a situation, but, given where we're heading, it's more than likely my skills will be put to the test that way. Make your judgment then."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Black Helms

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:25 pm

"Come."

The chieftain motions at his men, and half of them break at once and move down the hill, hounds with them. They blaze the trail ahead of the others, as you join the Chieftain, the woman, and his sons. "We go to our hills then."

The trip is about an hour walk, they Hill-men don't seem in a rush, but they move with purpose, and several times you notice they circle around hills instead of going the shorter route up and over them. You get the feeling they are avoiding certain places, why you can only guess at.

Eventually you arrive, but not at any village. Instead you stop in the dell between a series of hills that forms a natural arena like structure. The ground is hard packed here, and clearly is used by the hill-men for many purposes. You find those that went on ahead are here, seated on the rising slopes. With them are some hidden items under fur blankets. The chieftain motions for everyone to take a seat, save for Halleth who he calls into the center of the arena.

Essylt, the lone woman sits apart from the others, and many of the stronger looking men are finding places around the ring and are removing capes and cloaks, as well as their weapons.

"The Test of the Black Helms is about to begin," says Cynbal the Chieftain.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

The Black Helms

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Halleth moves to the center of the ring, feeling a bit uneasy, doubly so when he hears mention of this test. He quickly searches his memory for anything he might have learned about it while exploring Eriador or speaking with Saruman. He exchanges uneasy glances with Telurin and Hartley.
Lore, plus either the Lore of Arnor or Shadow-lore trait, if either of them are appropriate.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

The Black Helms

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 pm

"Who is to be involved in this test?" asks Telurin, looking at the chief. He had never heard of such a thing, but then, the Elves of Imladris paid little attention to the Hill-men, and his folk in Thranduil's realm had never even heard of them.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

The Black Helms

Post by Wbweather » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:13 am

Hartley looks at Hugo. "Well this sounds interesting. I hope this test is not some fight to the death or something equally terrible. They don't seem like the type of people who plan on killing us. Stay wary though, in case the big people need us to save them." He says this with a laugh, but Hugo gets the impression that Hartley is a bit unsure of what to expect and is preparing for any possibility.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Black Helms

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 pm

"I will explain."

Cynball motion for everyone to be silent for a moment. "This is the test of the Black Helms, a test of strength and skill, not a test of violence. Each man will don his helm, the last man standing with his helm still on his head is the winner."

He nods to the men near the covered items and they pull back the fur blanket to reveal two tall black helmets.

"No weapons! No help from anyone else, except for the mud throwing." He motions at a half dozen buckets you now notice spread out around the ring, each filled with thick heavy mud. "Watchers may throw mud at any or none of the contestants. The prizes are a roast of cow, a lush fur cape, help for the strangers, and the hand of Essylt the Fair not niece!"

The men, especially the more crass ones, give howls and cat calls of approval at the mention of the woman Essylt as a prize.

"You have a helm?"

From among the warriors of the hill-men three step forward and two take the black dramatic helms uncovered, the third, Fráech, has his own black helmet already. They are Bedwyr, Fráech, and Taredd and they drop their weapons and move into the center of the ring howling like wolves and amping themselves up.
The three were encountered already (short recap)

Taredd - Crazed and unstable warrior. Of all the tribe members, Taredd is the cruellest, acting more like a wild wolf than a Man.

Bedwyr - Protector and personal bodyguard of the Chief.

Fráech - The second-in-command. Fráech is a warrior of great strength and skill with a spear. He brazenly shows awful scars on his left arm: the evidence of a bear attack.
Insight
Telurin: 3 Fail
Hugo Great Success
Hartley 7 Fail
Halleth 5 Fail

Wow, just Hugo, PM coming
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring