Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Black Helms

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Halleth says, "Well, I am more than willing to take part in a contest of strength and skill, but I have no helm of my own. Certainly not one of these black helms, nor any ordinary one either. I am a wanderer in the wilderness and value being able to hear and see without obstruction. How do you wish me to proceed?" He doesn't want to ask too bluntly if they will provide him with a helm or if they expect him to take part in the contest at a disadvantage.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

The Black Helms

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:26 pm

Can I invoke Cunning for an auto-success on the Insight roll?

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

The Black Helms

Post by AndyDez » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 pm

Hugo's eyes widen and his hand clutches at Hartley, pulling him close to hear. "Blimey! Did you catch that or were you too busy gobbin at those helms!? That hill-woman, Essylt wasn't it? She is put right-out or I'm an orc! What a glare she gave the Chief after that bit of being a prize! Doubly after those chaps started barking like mad-dogs! What do you make of that, eh?"

Hugo casually but purposefully scans those perched along the slopes to gauge their reaction to this whole affair. Perhaps the hill-woman is not alone? Was this some breach of protocol? Some agenda or plot the company has stumbled into?
Keen-Eyed (attentive)

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

The Black Helms

Post by Wbweather » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:20 pm

"She didn't look none too excited about being a prize, that's for sure. No weapons is good. And I can throw mud if that's my job. Let's see how this plays out. I think we at least are safe for the time being. This looks more of a "friendly" competition, except for poor Essylt." Hartley is still not sure what is happening, but he doesn't think they are in danger, just yet.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

The Black Helms

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Telurin wonders how fair this game will be, especially with the half-beast Taredd involved. He decided he would keep a close eye on that man throughout the proceedings.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Black Helms

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Halleth has no helm, in fact only Hartley among the company has a helmet of any sort, a simple cap of iron and leather.

The cheiftain snorts at Halleth, "Get a helmet or you can't join us. I have already made exception for you to join the Black Helm contest so you may prove your worthy for me to help. You may refuse of course, but then you are free to go along your way into the wilds." He sort of speaks down for that, as if you need his help. "I will delay a bit, find a helm to wear Wanderer."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

The Black Helms

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:10 pm

As Telurin listens to the chieftain, his eye is suddenly drawn to Essylt, whom he had noticed in their first meeting but had soon forgotten. Now he sees that she is clearly upset at being offered as a prize, he saw something he hadn't before - it didn't look like she belonged here. She was out of place, a bit of beauty in a withered land, a bird in a dungeon.

If for no other reason, Telurin determined they would do what they could to win this contest, to let her go free, if she so desired.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

The Black Helms

Post by Wbweather » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:53 pm

"Here Halleth, would you like to borrow my helmet?" Hartley removes his cap and offers it over to Halleth. "Let see if it even fits on your head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Black Helms

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Halleth takes Hartley's helm gratefully. "Yes, well if it doesn't fit, we can make it fit." If necessary, Halleth will use a leather strap or a rope or something of the sort to make sure it stays on.

Once he is dine, he glances uneasily at Essylt. He doesn't like the idea of the woman being auctioned off as a prize. If we wins, he will leave her free to make her own choices. Indeed, that seems another reason to win to him--to grant Essylt the freedom to make her own choices.

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

The Black Helms

Post by AndyDez » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:25 pm

"Right, seems we're about to begin! How about that pipe ol'chap?" Hugo withdraws the pouch and prepares a smoke. "I say, never heard of mud-tossing for sport mind you. This aught to be quite the row! My how these Hill-men howl and frenzy! I fear Halleth is out of favor with the crowd."

Hugo stands and bellows out what is surely a high-pitched hobbit voice seldom if ever heard in these parts, "Good-man there Halleth! Give them one for the south!"