Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Heddwyn the Witch-servant of Angmar

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Halleth reflects a moment on what he knows of the woman and can read in her face, then says to Essylt, "You've been wanting to live your own life, right? You don't want to be under anyone's thumb, whether it's the men of your own folk, me or anyone else, right? Do you want to put yourself under the thumb of your father? I'm guessing you haven't seen him in any ages and that tugs at your heartstrings. But look here--he's working for the forces of the Great Shadow. I will not say your father means you ill, but his master wants only to make slaves of everyone, like they did the people from your village. If you choose to dwell here, your father may not be able to protect you, and you may well become a slave--and not just to men with evil in their hearts, but orcs, werewolves, vampires and whatever other wicked things still dwell here."
Persuade: 1. Spend Hope. Invoke Cunning and/or Shadow-Lore trait, either of which seems like it would be appropriate here--Cunning to judge which words will move Essylt, Shadow-Lore to scare her with the deservedly evil reputation of the place.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Halleth has come to know her, and he speaks right into her very spirit. She stands tall and rolls her shoulders back, "No! Father, what have you done? Who have you become? You left us, you left us to think you dead and here you were working with these dark forces. All of our children have been taken from us by the orcs of your master, and you speak of being a Queen? A queen of what? Of shadows and lies, and bondage!"

He points at Halleth, "Here is a man who I was told would be my enemy since I was a child, yet without question or deceit he has aided me and our village time and time again with no ask for reward, for no care of his own life for he is a free man. I will stand with him and his companions even against you father if it means that our people shall stay free."

Heddwyn sighs. "I am sorry you think that way daughter, but I shall show you the truth, once these meddlesome outsiders are dealt with." He commands his men, "Kill them all except my daughter!" His men are happy for the fight and leap into action.
So I was trying to think what bonus I would give Cunning/Lore neither would provide an auto success, maybe a bonus success if you had rolled well or reduce the TN another 2. First I decided to just roll....

Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 1
Totaling: 1
with 1 Auto Success

...So, who care what the bonus was. Good enough!
Heroes, Enemies, Allies

You can't get at Heddwyn until at least one of his men is downed, as he uses them as human shields.

There are 4 hill men warriors between you and Heddwyn.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri May 01, 2020 11:19 pm

Telurin lights his lamp and holds it high, crying "Aurë entuluva!" The light floods the darkened room with an alluring brightness.
Reminder about the lamp's effect: Any speaking creature who sees its flame must try to get near it by any means possible, or spend a point of Hope (or Hate) to ignore the spell effect.

Defensive for the first round. If I do get to attack, I'll attack a Hillman, and I'll spend Hope to defend Hartley against any attack that would be a piercing blow.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon May 04, 2020 5:02 pm

Halleth sighs and says to Essylt, "I'm sorry it to came to this. Get back and look away as much as you can--you should not have to see this." He then engaged the nearest Hillman with his sword.
Stance: Open
Action: Attack with Long Sword 3 vs. nearest Hillman

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue May 05, 2020 5:29 pm

Hartley nocks and arrow and prepares to fire at the attackers.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:46 pm

Wow May? Really? This GM is kind of a deadbeat! Seriously Many months have been hard on my and my family, both at home, having Covid, being in lock down, work, trying to get away on a much needed vacation. Then to come back to a game so long afterwards is even more daunting, especially a TOR game with such great players.
Telurin pulls forth his lamp and speaks the words Aurë entuluva! and it lights into a bright silver light that pushes back the shadow. The men turn greedy eyes toward the silver, there is desire to possess it, but to grow closer to it in such small space is not hard, everyone is nearly within an arms reach any how save for Heddwyn who stands well behind his men.

Then Halleth tells Essylt to look away as he drives his blade into the belly of the Hill Man. The blow is strong and swift, and pierces the man's bowels through and through. As his sword erupts out of the back of the enemy blood gurgles up out of his mouth and with a piercing look within his eyes he topples over dead from the lone blow.

Hartley, bow in hand, reaches into his quiver to find only 5 arrows remain. He takes out the shaft and sets and fires, and his short strikes true. It is not a mortal wound like Halleth's, but only because the Hillman's armor turns the shaft at the last moment saving his lift from a piercing shot.

Hugo...
Battle Roll Results
Halleth 0
Hartley 2
Hugo 0
Telurin 1

Round 1
Telurin: Lights is Lamp, Defensive Stance
Halleth: Open vs Hillman #1: (Shield): Rolled: Feat Die: 2* Success Die: 6t,2,6t Totaling: 16 with 2 successes = EO Success: 19 End = DEAD
Hartley: Rearward: Shoot Hillman #2: Rolled: Feat Die: 10* Success Die: 5,6t,4,1 Totaling: 26 with 1 success = G Success: 9 End + Piercing Shot: Pro Test: 12 Fail + Hate 4 = Success = Not a Piercing Shot

Is AndyDez still around? Did the long break send him back to the Shire? I'll wait a day then post for him

I posted pictures in the Discord
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:06 pm

I think AndyDez might be gone, unfortunately...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 pm

Okay Clearly Andy is MIA, worse than me! I'll try and pick things back up

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:22 pm

And another hobbit is fated to be eaten by trolls. :)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Round 1 [b[Heroes, Enemies[/b]
Round 2 Heroes, Enemies
Hugo draws his short blade and races in before Hartley and Essylt, "For Bree! For Essylt!" He leaps at the wounded hill man enemy and drives his blade into the belly of the man. The blade stabs deeply into his flesh and sinks in far enough to lacerate many a critical organ. The foul man drops his spear and grabs at his stomach as he topples back and collapses in a heap on the floor.

Then the eyes of the hill-men flash, there is something evil in them, something sinister and dark. These men are servants of the Shadow, and there is a chill that runs up your spines as they snarl and howl at you like feral wolves. Hugo and Telurin can feel the fear, for different reasons. Hugo is terrified of their raw power, while Telurin can sense the Witch King's purpose in their corruption.

All of the enemies ignore the light of the lamp, they are dark men, not easily swayed by the light. One steps forward and drives his spear through Hugo's shoulder "For Angmar you little bugger!" The hobbit screams and falls to the ground terribly wounded. Blood flowing wildly from the wound. Essylt and Hwalda race to his side, and grab the hobbit pulling him clear of the battle to tend to his wounds as Freach draws his weapons and stands guard over the women and hobbit.

Another of the wild hill men moves and with added effort manages to graze Halleth across his armored arm, its a light wound that will slow Halleth some, but not significantly enough to stop the Ranger's actions.

It is then Heddwyn, the Sorcerer of these halls, that turns on Telurin from his place of safety. "Elves have no power here! The Shadow is greater than your pathetic Light!" He lifts his hands and dark energy swirls among his motions, the eyes of Telurin see nothing but red. Crimson madness creeps into his field of view, and friend and foe blur together. That is until the power of his lamp surges, and the silver light, like that of Earendil fills his view and pushes out the madness leaving him unscathed.

Your company of three....
Hugo: Short Sword: vs Hill Man #2 Open Rolled: Feat Die: 8* Success Die: 3,6t Totaling: 17 with 1 success Hit for 9 End
HM#3: (1 Fear Ignore Lamp), Strike Fear! (1 Hate) Fear Tests (Valour TN14):
Hugo: Rolled: Feat Die: 1* Success Die: 5,2 Totaling: 8 = Fail [Can't Spend Hope],
Hartley: Rolled: Feat Die: 6* Success Die: 4,4,3 Totaling: 17 Success,
Halleth: Rolled: Feat Die: 6* Success Die: 3,1,4 Totaling: 14 Success,
Telurin: Rolled: Feat Die: 1* Success Die: 3,6t Totaling: 10 with 1 success Fail [Can't Spend Hope], A

Attack Hugo: Spear: Rolled: Feat Die: 10* Success Die: 3,5 +4 Totaling: 22 = Success: -5 End, Piercing Blow: Protection Test: Rolled: Feat Die: 7* Success Die: 3 Totaling: 10 vs 14 Fail, Can't Spend Hope, Wounded (he's down)

HM#4: (Hate Ignore Lamp) Attack Halleth: Rolled: Feat Die: 2* Success Die: 4,5 Totaling: 11+4 = 15 vs 16 Miss + Hate Success for 5 End

Heddwyn: (Hate Ignore Lamp) Dreadful Spells of the Witch Servant of Angmar: Red Maddness: Corruption Test TN 16: Telurin: Rolled: Feat Die: 5* Success Die: 4,6t,2 Totaling: 17 with 1 success (damn you!)

Hwalda, Essylt tend to Hugo, Freach Defensive Stance to protect them

Telurin could spend a Hope to make the Fear Test if he wanted.