Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

The Bridge of Carn Dûm (May 28)

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:49 pm

"Come. Look what I have found", Hartley tells the others. The way down looks treacherous, steep and icy with no hand holds. If one were to lose their footing, it could be disastrous. "We must choose this way or the bridge. I don't know that either is without its dangers. This way seems to me more likely to gain us access without revealing our approach."

He looks at his companions. "What do you think?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Halleth says, "It seems a simple enough choice to me--we take the stairs. We take the bridge and we're bound to be attacked, most likely in numbers greater than we can handle. We take the stairs and we have some chance of going in unnoticed. The stairs may be dangerous, but I judge them less dangerous than the horde of orcs we would face if we openly crossed the bridge."

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndyDez » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:59 am

"Well, I've had enough of bridges. Why not fall from stairs as well!?"

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:16 pm

"Perhaps we could at least secure a rope at the top of the ravine to provide some protection in case someone slips. That way we could have something to hold on to and we could secure it wherever possible on the way down to provide a hand hold on the way back, once we have rescued the children." Hartley tries to sound confident about the last part, especially.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Telurin nods at all his friends have said. "It is dangerous either way, but one way leads to certain danger of being seen, and the other has some small chance to keep us hidden. Whether we can secure a rope or no, let us take the stairs. Though, I hope the rope will work!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Bridge of Carn Dûm (May 28) - Down the Stair

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:02 pm

The stairs are no easy task. You can see in places they are broken or worn away. In others they are covered in snow and ice, and the fall from this high will certainly be serious. You can not cross the bridge directly for fear of being spotted, and to date you have not been spotted, either by Fortune or Fate.

So you tie off a second length of rope to a rocky spire near the stairs. Now Halleth and Telurin are both out of rope. You can only hope that it will give you some extra help, but as you toss it down you can see it only reaches half way at best.

"There is no point in waiting here, in the cold and the open." Freach has no desire to climb the stairs, nor cross the bridge, but he won't abandon the group now this close to your goal.

So you begin the long climb down... Halleth takes the lead, he clears the stairs where he can, knocking off snow and ice. The rope is a solid anchor for him, and he is strong and cunning, he's climbed his fair share of dangerous places in his day and reaches the far bottom safely. Once there he waves the rest of you down.

Hartley and Hugo both move onto the stairs, and little by little shimmy down. Unfortuntely there is a gap among the stairs, where the cold heaved against the stone and broke away three steps. The gap is too great for them to reach easily and as they attempt to hold their weight on the rope to repel down each one in turn slips and looses their grip on the cold rope and down down down they tumble. Hartley is fairly nimble and rolls with it bounding into a snow bank and is only light bruised from the fall. Hugo however is not so lucky and strikes the frozen ground hard and at an awkward angle.

Soon Telurin makes the decent to join Halleth in helping the fallen Hobbits.

Slow and steady your Hill-men make the climb. Their people are strong and athletic, and used to climbs among the mountains and the hills. Each of them reaches the bottom safely in turn.
Athletics Test: Rope Drops TN to 14

Halleth Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 4,4,6t
Totaling: 14 with 1 success
with 1 Auto Success

Hartley Rolled:
Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 6t
Totaling: 9 with 1 success = Fail (Hope will not provide a success - would be 1 point short) - 3 Dmg

Hugo Rolled:
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 4
Totaling: 9 = Fail (Same problem) - 5 Dmg

Telurin Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 2,5,5
Totaling: 12
with 1 Auto Success = Success

Hwalda, Freach, Eysstl

-----------------------------
Rolled:
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 1,5,2
Totaling: 18= Success
Rolled:
Feat Die: 6*
Success Die: 4,3,4
Totaling: 17 = Success
Rolled:
Feat Die: 6*
Success Die: 2,6t,1
Totaling: 15 with 1 success = Success
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:15 pm

When Hugo falls hard, Halleth hurries over to him. "Ah, that looked nasty." He holds out a hand. "Here, can you stand? Were we elsewhere, I might say we should stop and rest--but this is no place for that, if we can help it."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:52 pm

Seeing Halleth moving to help Hugo, Telurin turns to Hartley, who stands and nods that he is alright.

Instead, Telurin remains at the bottom of the stair, watchingEssylt, Fraech, and Hwalda. He might not be strong enough to catch them, but he would do what he could.

Thankfully, all three reach the bottom without incident, and so the Elf turns back to check on Hugo.
"Well there young Hugo, if fire and fall do not kill you, you've only one more test to pass to prove that you're tougher than mithril . . . though I wonder what that might be."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:32 am

"Well, my poor body is bruised, but not so much as my ego. It could have been worse though. I say Hugo, you have stood up remarkably well despite your repeated falls. I am glad that we have both made it down in one piece. I should not wish to go on without you."

Turning to the rest of the group he says, "Well, now that we have reached the bottom, let us hope there is a way inside. Would someone care to help me search for such an entrance?"
Search 2

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndyDez » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Hugo rubs sore muscles and bends to and fro to loosen up bones after the fall. Trying to remain cheery in this dreadful place, Hugo weakly jests "Perhaps now I understand why our ancestors chose to live underground. Above is full of falls and spills, what with windy bridges and icy stairs! No place to fall in a Hobbit hole, once it's dug."