Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Bridge of Carn Dûm (May 28) - Down the Stair

Post by Muskrat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:21 pm

"There's a good lad," says Halleth, clapping Hugo rather too hard on the shoulder. "Never been inside a hobbit hole. Maybe I will, if I can fit in one, next time I pass by the Shire or Breeland."

He turns to join Hartley in the search. "I've become an expert in finding ways into places I don't belong over the years."
Search 3. Burlgary or Keen-Eyed Trait.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Red Valley (May 28) - A Search

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:08 pm

Burglary! What sort of Ranger is Halleth! OMG!

Plus Keen-Eyed

Unfortunately there are a lot of down sides to this search, so I'm going to give you some bonuses for those Traits, but still require Rolls.

Halleth: Burglary, Keen-Eyes = 2 Successes
Hugo Keen Eyed = 1 Success

Search Rolls TN14

Halleth: Rolled:
Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 4,4,2
Totaling: 13

Hartley Rolled:
Feat Die: 9*
Success Die: 4,1
Totaling: 14 = 1 Success

Hugo Rolled:
Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 1,1
Totaling: 5 = Fail

Telurin Rolled:
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die:
Totaling: 2 = Fail

Round 1 = 4 Successes

Round 2 Searching
Halleth Rolled:
Feat Die: 6*
Success Die: 6t,4,5
Totaling: 21 with 1 success = 2 Successes

Give you 6 Total = Successful Search

You begin the search, Halleth and the Hobbits are keen eyed and rather well versed at such things. For a few minutes the trio search along the Red Valley looking for entrances, or signs of entrances. Telurin remains with the Hill-men with eyes open for trouble from above or from either end of the valley. After a few minutes the trio have found the signs. Here there is a paw print in the snow. There broken ice from a heavy booted foot. Together they piece the clues together one by one and spot, a few meters up a dark tunnel entrance that leads into the rock face under Carn Dum.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:47 pm

Halleth grins and says, "Let me slip up there and see if it is safe." He begins climbing up the rock face, intending to peer inside to see if there are any guards or if the way is open to them.
Athletics 3 + Burglary

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:00 pm

Telurin is relieved to hear they didn't come down the treacherous stairs for nothing, that indeed, another way in existed. He hoped that when they exited (for he had to hope that they could escape Carn Dum), they could cross the bridge instead, for it would be much safer for the women and children.

He waits behind the others, watching to see if they are observed entering into the dark tunnel.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:19 pm

Halleth climbs the cliff side, its only about ten feet up from the snow banks, and he makes the climb easily enough. The opening is covered half way by icicles that dangle down in front, and a snow drift that clogs the base, but beyond that it appears to be a deep dark tunnel that pierces the mountain's side and stabs into the very heart of Carn Dum.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:18 pm

Halleth turns to give the others a thumb's up, then turns back to the opening, trying to clear away some of snow and ice to make it easier for the others to enter, since they are not used to getting into difficult spaces the way he is.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:38 am

"I'm afraid Hugo and I might need a bit of assistance getting up to that dreadful hole, if some of you taller folk would not mind helping a couple of hobbits a bit." Hartley does not relish the idea of entering such a place of legendary evil, but the sooner they got in there, hopefully the sooner they would be leaving.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:03 pm

One by one you hoist the hobbits up, and are able to make the climb without danger of further harm. You pack into the opening of the tunnel and find its narrow, narrow enough that you can only comfortably go two by two...
Give me a marching order, side by side, 2 by 2. Freach marches next to Eysslt where ever you put them in the line.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Halleth says, "I'm willing to take point here--this my element."
Maybe Halleth and Telurin in front, followed by the hobbits, followed by the Hill Men?

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndyDez » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:29 pm

" 'Holes are for Hobbits' say the Gaffers. One of us small-folk should join you up front Halleth. These small spaces make you all the larger! I am nearly useless in battle, crossing bridges, or apparently descending stairs! Perhaps I may creep just ahead of the company and prevent our running into any number of nasty things?"
Small, Keen-eyed, Stealth (f) 3, Search 2 (f). My apologies for delayed responses, we just recovered from the holiday and the news from Cubicle 7!!