Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Fateful Meeting

Post by Muskrat » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:42 pm

Halleth says, "One of Elrond's elves leaving their hidden valley? Well then, well met if late met. I am Halleth, some of Hallec of the Rangers of the North. We have had a bitter time, escaping Carn Dum and seen many evil things along the way. But we have some good news as well--some at least among the Hill Men have come to see the powers of Angband mean them no good and seek peace with our peoples." He gestures to Essylt. "This woman means to lead them out of the darkness. And I have no doubt she can do so."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Fateful Meeting

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:58 am

Telurin has been shaken deeply by their experiences, but is thankful they are alive.

"Never again will I venture through the gates of Carn Dum. Nay, never further north than the mounds and lands of the Hill-folk. "

He has little more to say, and knows that Glorfindel having seen many an age, will be patient for the tale to be told him in full.
Last edited by Blubbo_Baggins on Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

A Fateful Meeting

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:16 am

Am I dead?!?

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Fateful Meeting

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:12 pm

Maybe if you post you won't actually be dead? Even if Hartley lives, isn't this game dead?

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

A Fateful Meeting

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:47 pm

Hugo, who is a different character than Hartley, played by AndyDez, died.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

A Fateful Meeting

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:50 pm

Thats what I was thinking. Hartley was in a febrile stupor though. Not sure if he’s still out of it or if he’s recovering.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Fateful Meeting

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:28 pm

oops. Sorry guys, totally misread.... Harley is not dead! I'll rewrite my post.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Fateful Meeting

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Hugo not Hartley, AndyDez dropped long ago. Hartley is lets say well enough to speak and interact so you can post, but he's being transported still by the big folks, etc
Glorfindel bows to Halleth and looks over the group with a kindle in his eyes, "Carn Dum? You passed the gates of that black place and have come out again? Perhaps this was the warning in my heart then." He walks about you, and the eyes of the Hill-men are open in wonder. Never have they laid their sight on one of the Noldor, nor one of such power and light. There is a light of Valinor on Glorfindel, and something more, and that lifts up the spirits of the hill-men.

Hartley, carried by the company, and now laying among the group looks and sees a bright light near him. Glorfindel pauses seeing Hartley, "A hobbit here among you?" He moves and kneels and places a hand on the chest of Hartley. "He is gravely wounded." He produces a small flask with silver threads on it and pours it into the mouth of Hartley. The warm miruvour flows through the hobbit's body and the worries and pains of his affliction fade and his body is strengthened and warmed. The little man sits up and smiles for the first time in a week under his own ability.

"I think you best tell me your tale," says Glorfindel.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

A Fateful Meeting

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:35 pm

At this point, I'm not sure how well I even remember what's happened to our characters ...
Halleth says, "If you came from Rivendell, you must know some of it--your people counseled me that I should follow a dream that told my liege's kin still lived, held captive in Carn Dum. Along the way we met the Hill Men--their own children had been kidnapped by goblins and brought to Carn Dum, so we struck an alliance. We rescued the children. I found my liege's kin--but I did not know it was him until after I slew him in self-defense, for he had been corrupted by the forces of the Enemy." Halleth abruptly stops talking, gets up and walks away, staring off into the distance. The whole thing episode remains deeply unsettling to him and he does not wish to speak further of it.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The End

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:12 pm

Glorfindel listens to the tale, and takes in your countenances.

“Follow me to the house of Elrond. I am sure the master of Imladris will be interested in your tales, and it seems that we are joined in our cause against the oncoming darkness. In Rivendell you will find rest, and many answers.”

Glorfindel guides the company to the Last Homely House, opening the way leading his horse Asfaloth on foot, Hartley riding atop him. The journey is a trek of approximately 400 miles south through Angmar, the Lone-lands and finally along the great East Road to Rivendell, taking almost two months in all.

The first leg, south through Angmar and the Grey Waste takes 30 days on foot; the second leg through the empty, Lone-lands takes 21 days; the last leg lasts 3 days along the Great East Road. With the benefit of the presence of Glorfindel as a Guide you make the travel without issues worthy of remembering. Along the way Hartley's wounds grow worse, then better, and by the arrival in Rivendell he's on his feet once more, but only because hobbits are made of stern stuff and willful determination.

Once in Rivendell, you and your companions are welcomed by Elrond Halfelven. For the moment, the company has slowed the progress of Angmar, and for that they you welcome to spend as long as you need in the Last Homely House, before venturing off into the world once more.
This ends the adventuring phase! You will spend the Fellowship Phase in Rivendell.

I'm not sure if we are still playing, if I can or not, but we had to resolve things a little at least
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring