Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66273
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Vault

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:58 pm

Moving to the door you find it barred, locked against your progress. Telurin takes a turn trying to work the handle, but its not until Halleth moves up with a slender iron blade, thinner than a dagger, but sturdy that you have hope. He slides it between door and door jam and lifts the bar on the other side. Opening the door however causes it to fall and clatter on the floor!

All eyes turn on the sleeping hounds, but they remain snoozing away.

You step into the chamber and find it occupied. The large chamber could only be called a vault. The ceiling is arched, and placed around the walls are torches in sconces that burn and sputter away giving off greasy smoke and flicking crimson yellow light. The room smells of wet hound and sweaty men. It would seem you entrance has alerted the occupants to arrival for standing in the center of the room in a line are four burly hill-men of Rhudaur. They are bearded men, with matted hair and poor hygine. Yet, they are muscled, well fed, and brandishing spears and small round wooden shields. Their leather armor is augmented in places by metal plates or studs, and they sneer at you as you invade their quarters.

For all around you see simple straw beds, signs of the life of men, a stool, a fire up against a wall that has a crack in it, spits and salted meats, bowls and mugs with flies buzzing around them. This is where these men abide. Yet you also see stacks of things, of valuables, of treasure: a chest, a goblet of silver, a silken banner, hilts of blades, and other items of worth and age.

"Hold!" the voice comes from another in the shadows behind the four. He is moving into view as you position yourselves within the door a few steps.

Andy 0

Those stats are 0. I looked back through the version history and they have never had a stat number associated with them. Most characters have 0s in some things.

TElurin
-----------------------------
Rolled:
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die: 6t,1,5
Totaling: 14 with 1 success Fail

Halleth Burglary Success
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9850
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Vault

Post by Muskrat » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:34 pm

Halleth says, "Blast!" open seeing these are not the captives they were seeking. He whispers to the others, "Best case scenario, we capture one of them to question."

Turning his attention back to the men, he draws his sword. Maybe they can negotiate their way out of this, but he does not have a silver tongue and he leaves the talking to one of the others.

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3738
Location: The Old Forest

The Vault

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:43 am

Telurin puts his arm to Halleth as the man draws his sword, "Wait," he says firmly. He looks to Hwalda, Freach, and Essylt, wondering if they know these Hill-men.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9850
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Vault

Post by Muskrat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:11 pm

Halleth looks at Telurin, the nods and lowers his sword.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66273
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Vault

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:17 pm

The man behind the others steps forward into the light between his companions. As he steps into view Essylt and Fráech both have instant looks of recognition. She lets out a horrified gasp and grabs hold of Halleth's arm to keep herself from falling down from the shock of seeing the man. She mutters, "Father?"

The imposing man's own eyes go wide and he cries out, "“Essylt, my love! It has been long since I last laid eyes on you. I have been calling to you and you have come. Great things lie ahead for us and our people. Nevermore shall we hide in the Black Hills. Look about you! This fortress is our new home. Soon, a king will return, powerful and generous to his servitors. Why ally yourself with these beggars and liars? Join me and you will live as a Queen in Angmar!”
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9850
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Vault

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:36 pm

Halleth curses under his breath, but waits for Essylt's reaction. He knows he most likely will have to fight this man, but this is her father--he can do her the honor of letting her choose how to react to the situation before doing whatever was necessary. And maybe there was a small, small chance she could talk sense to him. After a moment, he says softly to her. "However you respond, I won't hold it against you. But I'll do what I need to do."

User avatar
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
Posts: 2030
Location: Kansas
User Class: Wanderer

The Vault

Post by Wbweather » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:05 am

Hartley stands in stunned silence as he waits to see what will unfold between Essylt and her father. He wonders if Fráech will betray them and side with this man. Then he thinks outloud, "But what of the children we have come to save from this place?"

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3738
Location: The Old Forest

The Vault

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Telurin looks at Halleth and whispers, "You have won the Black Helm and so should have a hearing among these men. Use that fact to gain their ear. Support Fráech to remain true if you can - for you know his feelings toward Essylt, and will protect her, or side with her, if she turns."

Aloud to the men, standing behind Essylt's Father, Telurin adds, "Listen to her, Hill-men. Essylt will decide her own fate. I speak as an Elf who has no say in fate of your people, but she and Hwalda have bravely guided us here, to the very halls of the Lord of Angmar. He it was that long ago put your folk in chains. This place is still in his power, though he does not dwell here any more."

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9850
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Vault

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:53 pm

"Aye," adds Halleth, "and we came here seeking to free kin of yours that were taken as slaves here by orcs."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66273
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Heddwyn the Witch-servant of Angmar

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 01, 2020 3:57 pm

Heddwyn, for that is Essylt's father, glares at the group. "I do not know these men and elves. Daughter, what are you doing with such company? Have you fallen so far in my absence?"

Hwalda, nods to Hartley, "Yes what of the children?" That's why this woman is here.

Fráech looks to Essylt, and you guess he will do as she will do, his love for her is that strong: right or wrong.

Essylt looks to Halleth and Telurin, and her father, but before she can make up her mind Heddwyn utters a few more words. They are foul words, dark words, in a language of the Shadow, they burn your ears to hear them. He lifts his right hand up and your senses are flooded with a red madness.
Corruption Test TN 16
Halleth
-----------------------------
Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 5,3,5
Totaling: 13
with 1 Auto Success = SUCCESS

Hartley Rolled:
Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 1,2,4
Totaling: 10 = Fail BUT Hobbit Sense: Re-Roll the Feat Die: 9 = 16 Success

Hugo Rolled:
Feat Die: 7*,1* (Hobbit Sense, figured out how to roll that ahead of time)
Success Die: 3,4,4
Totaling: 18 = Success

Telurin
-----------------------------
Rolled:
Feat Die: 9*,6*
Success Die: 6t,5,6t
Totaling: 26 with 2 successes = Success

So you all make the roll and take no Shadow Points and Impress Essylt

So over the course of the game I have been rolling to 'impress Essylt' with your character. There have been some key moments:

Test of Will (Positive) - You resist her father sorcerery
Test of Zeal (Positive) - When you were talking about saving the kids and making peace between the Hill-men and your people when meeting Hwalda.
Test of Courage (Positive)- When you offered to go save the kids without being asked, you have bold courage.
Test of Sacrifice (Positive) - You ran into the fire to save her people almost instantly and suffered to help her people.
Test of Sympathy (Neutral) - You didn't really public denounce the whole She was a Prize to be sold off to the winner. Halleth private said she didn't have to marry him, but he didn't stand up for her in front of all the hill men and suggest maybe this was a bad idea. He also didn't just accept her as a prize so its more of a neutral reaction than a good or bad one.


So 4 Positive, 1 Neutral, 0 Negative
TN to talk her into NOT joining her father: TN 20 - 8 = TN 12
I think Halleth should make one more plea here for Essylt: Awe, Inspire, Persuade? As everyone reacts to the spell being cast.
The red that floods your senses, starts to fade, you could feel you emotions turning sour. A weaker will might be miserable or worse be uncontrollable with rage and greed and anger. Yet you did not come all these way to be lured away from your goal by some conjurer of cheap tricks.

Essylt looks at Halleth for guidance...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Post Reply