Welcome to the North

The OOC Forum for the Ruins of the North campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Welcome to the North

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Image Eriador was of old the name of all the lands between the Misty Mountains and the Blue; in the South it was bounded by the Greyflood and the Glanduin that flows into it above Tharbad.

At its greatest Arnor included all Eriador, except the regions beyond the Lune, and the lands east of Greyflood and Loudwater, in which lay Rivendell and Hollin. Beyond the Lune was Elvish country, green and quiet, where no Men went; but Dwarves dwelt, and still dwell, in the east side of the Blue Mountains, especially in those parts south of the Gulf of Lune, where they have mines that are still in use. For this reason they were accustomed to pass east along the Great Road, as they had done for long years before we came to the Shire.
- The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, Annals of the Kings and Rulers: Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur
Welcome to the Ruins of the North Campaign for the One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7. This game will take place primarily in northern Eriador in the days before 2977 with the characters generally based out of Rivendell.

It shall not be associated with either of my other two Middle-earth games, unless by some chance the timelines of one and the other happen to interweave; which could only happen in the Tales of Wilderland game and not my Rise of Orthanc game.

So first I'd love a sound off of possible players and then we can begin to start talking of character background and the like. This is my 2nd TOR game and I've started to really get a grasp of the system more and more.

You can find all of the "lore" in the libraries of Rivendell, including the new single volume core set, which we will be running out of. I suggest that one and the Rivendell book, the others you won't need.

I also have a Google Sheets Character Sheet we will be using.

The actually campaign is not out yet, so we are pre-emtively making guys and getting ready. We will tweak if need be once the book hits. More info on it all can be found: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/the-one-ring- ... -revealed/

Welcome!
-Vman
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Welcome to the North

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:35 pm

As you know, I am in. If we end up in want of players, I may be able to bring a friend or two.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:39 pm

You should bring over a friend or two anyhow! We love recruiting new members.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Cool! I will ask a friend (or three, ha!).

Out of curiosity - will you allow some players to create Dunedain or High Elf PCs? I'm not sure I'm leaning towards that, but just wanted to clarify.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Oh yeah, please, invite folks, we aren't exclusive we love all players and GMs.

I really hope for some Noldor and/or Ranger characters. I can't see how we'd end up with men of Dale or Lake-Town this far out anyhow.

That's another question, perhaps the Adventurer Companion will hit soon too since that will have Blue Mountain dwarves in it which would be good to have.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:13 pm

Awesome; I've invited two friends already. One said he was afraid about his schedule and declined, I'm waiting on the other one.

I could also post this in C7's forums. I'm certain you could get some quality players from there, but no one I personally know.

I've got an idea for an Elf of Mirkwood (and why he'd be in Rivendell), but would certainly consider others.

I would love it if the Adventurer's Companion came soon. I have been wanting to see Men of Bree, Blue Mtn Dwarves (and even Elves of Lorien)! It would be quiet appropriate to have adventurers of the former two cultures going about Eriador.

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Bo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Mark me down for a Ranger if you need one. Actually, I would be willing to fill in almost any gaps. Need to brush up on my lore! A few years ago I started a LotR themed game and knew history of Eriador by heart... now that's gone away ;)
~Bo~

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:43 pm

Let's see what we get from here, then we can invite off Cub 7 forums, but they would be good to invite in general to the site anyhow.

As far as characters and such Bo anything you want to play, play. Unlike say Pathfinder where the party NEEDS a Tank, a Rogue, a Cleric and a Mage, we don't have that need. I'd be okay with 5 Rangers worthing together, or 4 Hobbits together, etc. So play would you will enjoy the most, don't worry about the others so much.

I am not sure how this will start, I'm assuming some venture out of Rivendell, perhaps a mission from Elrond or some such but since I don't have the book just yet its hard to say exactly.

We can start looking at Char Gen and go from there.

Bo and BB I will share a new character sheet with you. Go get the books if you don't have them and start reading.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:47 pm

What's the time frame of this game?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:51 pm

With regards to a general invite of folks to Brennor's from the C7 forums, I'd be happy to help with that at any time, just let me know; I can PM you a potential post to put up.

I won't invite anyone from there yet, for this game. Makes sense to wait and see what we get from here. My other friend IS interested. He is busy with a work project and a class, both of which will end by December. I told him to let me know and that he could always express interest here and take a look, even if he didn't join.

I own the original books + errata rules, so I will read. This online character builder is super helpful for getting ideas, too! Online TOR Char Sheet