Prelude - Travel Thread

The OOC Forum for the Ruins of the North campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Prelude - Travel Thread

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:39 pm

Travel is for Guide.

Speaking of Aravule's armor, I was wondering if 1) You planned to take "Cunning Make" to lower Aravule's armor's Enc, or 2) Consider doing 4d instead of 5d. It seems like 4d + his body score (when Hope spent) might be as effective as 5d, but he'd be Weary less often.
Because 5d + Weary is probably less effective than even 3d not Weary. Not sure on the math though, and it isn't about powergaming anyway.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Interesting. Since I'm still a newb at these rules, how would I take Cunnning Make? That's just a Valour thing, right?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Yep, increase Valour by 1, then you get a Reward which lowers the Enc by 2. Not huge, but helpful; you can add up to 3 qualities to one piece of armor (or weapon).

ICly, you could tell Nalir one thing he has to do for you is to repair your armor. Or you could ask V to have Nalir suggest it to Aravule, as a way for him to start paying back his debt.

NOTE: if anyone else would like advice/ideas for Character Improvement, please let me know.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Page 154

Guide - In charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. - Travel Skill

Scout - In charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. - Explore

Huntsman - In charge of finding food in the wild. - Hunting

Look-out - Man In charge of keeping watch. - Awareness

*No companion may assume more than one role, but there may be more characters for any role except the Guide.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Aegor
Level 10
Level 10
Title: Subculture of One
User Class: Scum

Post by Aegor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Aerondil has Spears 2 and Long Swords 1, but the Long Swords are a favored skill.
His Craft is 3 and Vocation 4 - really excited to use those while rebuilding the prison.

He also has Artificier of Eregion and this is in the text -

You are studying the ancient craft of the Elven-smiths of Eregion, the greatest craftsmen of your kin. You learn how to Evaluate Treasure when you first select this virtue. You may later master the secret of how to Enhance Weapons as your undertaking, and spending 1 Experience point during a Fellowship phase; finally, you discover how to Enchant Weapons by spending another Experience point as another undertaking during a later Fellowship phase.

I was really looking forward toward spending this xp to learn how to enchant weapons.
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Yes, that would be cool.
I believe Aerondil actually has 4 in Lore (Vocation is the category of 3 skills - Craft, Battle, Lore).

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:10 pm

So what do you all think of Hartley increasing his healing and explore (both favored) to 2 and then increasing bow skill to 3? Do we have any other healers? I think if I am going to be primarily ranged, then bow skill will benefit me the most at this point.

Aegor
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Aegor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:14 pm

Yeah, my bad.

So that's 1 xp and one undertaking he has to go through by himself.

Now I want to increase Valour to 2 and get a cultural reward, but don't have Elves of Rivendell in the book - only Silvan Elves.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:17 pm

All of us have Healing 1; Aerondil has Healing 2. Halleth has Explore 3 (favoured), Aravule Explore 2. I think another Healer is a good idea. You could increase Explore if you want as it will still be helpful (having Hartley as scout frees Halleth to do other things).

Definitely increase Bow to 3. You're our main ranged, but still good to have 2 options.

Aegor, have you seen the online builder? http://azrapse.es/tor/sheet.html
Go there an you can see a list of all the Rewards and Virtues for High Elves (just click "Create New Character" then you'll see all the races available. Hover your mouse over the Rewards/Virtues of High Elves and when you see a little "?" you can click on it for all the details.

Aegor
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Aegor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Oh, cool, thanks!

Several of these seem very interesting - especially Books and Maps of Forbidden Lore.