Tharbad OOC Discussion

The OOC Forum for the Ruins of the North campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by TetNak » Thu May 12, 2016 7:49 pm

I'm not asking for anyone to ICly do what Aravule says (I OOCly am not asking, that is, IC he wants you to obey, of course). I'm just saying that no one was even replying to what I wrote.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 12, 2016 8:14 pm

I have always thought the best approach is to go head to head with the man on the Island. We still don't know who he is or what might he wields. We have been in Tharbad nearly 9 months and are no closer to an answer than the day we arrived. If anything, I'm shocked that he hasn't come after us already.

I personally would like to know who we are up against before we raise an army to fight him. That said, OOC I would prefer a more traditional game with journeys, encounters, and combat. I mostly just want to see things progressing, no matter what direction they move in.
Totally agree here Wb.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu May 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Aravule doesn't agree.

He has alterior motives. #1 - He needs to populate Tharbad with people that will follow him. #2 - With 100s of men, it won't matter who A is, he'll be pushed out. #3 - If the army can arrive with A not knowing about you guys, it will make it easier, but everyone seems to want to stick their next out. #4 - The ranger noted in the letter is 99% not Aravule. Aravule has another ranger contact in Tharbad.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Actually, let me retype that:
I have always thought the best approach is to go head to head with the man on the Island. We still don't know who he is or what might he wields. We have been in Tharbad nearly 9 months and are no closer to an answer than the day we arrived. If anything, I'm shocked that he hasn't come after us already.

That said, OOC I would prefer a more traditional game with journeys, encounters, and combat. I mostly just want to see things progressing, no matter what direction they move in.
The part about knowing who we're up against - before raising an army or after ... doesn't matter to me. The rest is what I was thinking of when I said I agree.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 12, 2016 8:47 pm

I toss me two coppers in here...

I prefer when you guys take action instead of debating alot. I don't know at time who's action to reply to at time, when 3 people all want to do other things, a 'party leader' or a final consensus help me know what the group is going to do, where they are going, etc. before I post so I don't railroad.

I hear the cry for more traditional journey adventure and I will take note of it after this Adventure Phase.

One thing I notice here, you debate a lot of theoreticals.... with no actual information ICly about it.

"A" may or may not know what we did, he may or may not send some one to the drop, etc. So you debate theoretical options over and over again.

Why not just go spy out the drop at the given time? See what's what? See who shows. THEN you will know what's what and not have to guess if "A" has any clue about you, etc. Then things can move along at a much more steady pace.

Everyone has had good input and some great ideas. So I like that everyone is involved, we have a fellowship here, not a kingdom yet. Cause one Ranger does not a kingdom make :)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu May 12, 2016 9:00 pm

I like the kingdom building aspect of the game.

I see a lot of people misrepresenting what I'm saying. I'm not saying I want Aravule to get his way necessarily, I'm saying when I post something as Aravule, and it is ignored, that is annyoing.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu May 12, 2016 9:21 pm

I don't think anyone is particularly trying to ignore him. It sometimes comes across as he is making general statements. When he says he wants to go raise support, we don't know what exactly that means. Does he have a particular plan in mind? If he said, "Let's travel south and visit Dunland. I want to see if I can gather 100 soldiers to our cause." then at least we would know what he was asking.

Personally, I don't mind being railroaded a little. I assume V has a definite idea about who is on the island. I think sometimes we all need a little push in the right direction. So I, for one, don't mind a little helpful steering by the LM.

Just want to add, that I love the game. Hope it lasts for a long time. It is cathartic to me to be a hobbit in the darker holes of Middle-earth. I think you are doing a great job V.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 12, 2016 9:39 pm

Agreed, I do love the game, and the fact that it's both kingdom building, but ripe for regular adventures, too.

I'm enjoying too, that's it a bit off the chart (though I do look forward to going back to Eriador proper some time).

Tet, as I said, I'll do all I can to make sure Aravule doesn't feel ignored.

V, I don't mind a little railroading either, especially if we get bogged down in planning. I think sometimes we plan cause we're not sure where to go next.

---------

SO as for our next action... Why don't we just do as V suggested and spy out the drop? Then we can decide from there.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu May 12, 2016 9:41 pm

Agreed. And Hartley will go talk to the merchant to see if he has any more info as Aravule suggested.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu May 12, 2016 9:48 pm

I think it was more that he said he didn't want to engage A, more than wanting to go south. I believe that's what he said specifically.