Tharbad OOC Discussion

The OOC Forum for the Ruins of the North campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Wbweather » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Well if we need stores or provisions, we could all go hunting, fishing etc. A nice little mini adventure might give us some profit, but I don't know what would happen to our safe house should we leave it alone for more than a few days. I'm up for whatever.

We have avoided the baddie on the island for a long time. He apparently plans on leaving us alone, unless we provoke him intentionally or unintentionally. Is this something we are ready to do?

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:11 pm

Let's go take him down, now.

;-)

I'm all up for a hunting expedition or if someone has another idea. Perhaps, actually, we could do something for the Dunlendings to earn their help as allies, and not merely trading partners. I bet we could talk to them. I think we can leave the Dwarves to guard the prison. They might turn on us, but honestly, we just spent a whole Fellowship Phase with them and things warmed up, so I expect they won't. Or if someone does take up residence in the prison, we will be able to either win them out or fight them out. If we were doomed to lose the prison if we leave, then we'd sit holed up there and there would be no game. :-)

Any adventure that doesn't take us too far from Tharbad (for now) is worth considering.

The other thing we can do is encourage the Dwarves to repair stuff for money, while we spy and try to learn more about the man of mystery.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Muskrat » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Yeah, I think at this stage we gather information and try to find supporters. Both seem like they will be a challenge--people in this town are reluctant to talk about the Master and even more reluctant to challenge him. We need to do something to inspire people and make think we can take the Master in a fight, to help us build up the following where we can take him in a fight. I bet the Master is doing unpleasant things to someone. If we can interfere with his agents and protect people from them, so they don't have to live in fear, we can begin to get followers. Let's start by finding out who he's hurting and how and then come up with a plan to interfere with that. Hopefully we can build enough of a following from there, that when he comes down on us, we're in a position to fight him. All this assumes that the Master acts like some kind of crime lord shaking people down or something and doesn't just lurk on his island being mysterious and scary.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:53 pm

Good points Muskrat. One safe folk to help is the Dunlendings, as with enough leverage from what we could possibly do for them, they might help us, and they don't seem afraid of the Master, just ignore him. (They seem less caught up in things, so in a way that is a double-edged sword).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:41 am

Tou could all go get desk jobs and earn and honest living with a 401k and health benefits.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Wbweather » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:45 am

I want to dig up a barrow, but that could be really stupid.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:51 am

Bold.

Foolish.

But bold.

If you are venturing that far dont for the lost dwarf home.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:37 am

Yeah, if we are going to leave Tharbad and go weeks away, we might as well go find Fundin's colony. Not only is it probably only infested by Orcs instead of the Undead, but if we helped Nalir find & or get it back, we'd probably get a share of the Treasure....well, maybe not without an argument. But, anyway, I love the idea (in theory) of exploring ruins, and we don't have to go as far as the Barrow Downs... but perhaps we can find something closer. (Or get real jobs, ha) I'm afraid if we go very far, what work we've accomplished here COULD be undone.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Wbweather » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Yeah, I know it's too far away and too dangerous. I'm reading my kids the Lord of the Rings and we just got through the part with the Barrows, so that was what was on my mind. Buy perhaps there is something similar, nearer to Tharbad, less evil. Or the Whispering Halls are a 5 day journey to the east. But practically, I know we need to stay close and draw out the Master. That is why we stayed after all.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:30 pm

5 days is not too far, imo. We'd be gone for over a week. Stuff could happen, like thieves could capture the Dwarves and set up camp in our fort, but they wouldn't be able to really fortify it much, especially because it wouldn't be clear for a few days that we'd actually left town (they might have spies who see us leave, but they would have no idea whether we left for hours, a day, or over a week).

What are the Whispering Halls?

We could do one "honest" line of work, however. We DO control a prison. We could offer to capture criminals (ie bounty hunters) for a fee, or hold already captured criminals for a daily fee, or both. We might find out that some of those criminals are actually innocent folk, too and could turn them to our side.