Tharbad OOC Discussion

The OOC Forum for the Ruins of the North campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 12, 2016 9:50 pm

OK. So is spying on the drop within the realm of engaging A?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu May 12, 2016 10:00 pm

I think it was before spying was specifically brought up.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Yes, I'm sure it was. I was just asking how you felt about spying.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu May 12, 2016 10:33 pm

Hartley has been half tempted to sneak out at night and take a boat to the island and do some prying into other people's business. ;)
I'm all for spying on the drop though, instead.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu May 12, 2016 11:00 pm

He'd be ok with spying

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 13, 2016 12:54 am

Wbweather wrote:I don't think anyone is particularly trying to ignore him. It sometimes comes across as he is making general statements. When he says he wants to go raise support, we don't know what exactly that means. Does he have a particular plan in mind? If he said, "Let's travel south and visit Dunland. I want to see if I can gather 100 soldiers to our cause." then at least we would know what he was asking.
Yeah, I think this may be a big part of it. The more concrete the suggestion anyone makes, the easier it is to build off of. It's easy for general statements without specifics to get lost in the shuffle without anyone intending to ignore the person suggesting them.

That said, I think we should follow up on V's suggestion and spy on the drop spot. I think we could go out and try to rally support, but I'm having trouble seeing how to do it. The Dunlendings have no reason to follow us, unless we offer them power and plunder when we rule Tharbad, which will work crosswise with our purpose. The other alternative is to go back north and recruit some Dunedain to join us. We'd have to be gone for an extended period of time, but it would get us back to traditional adventuring.

That said, I'm enjoying the game and I like how it feels totally different from Tales from Wilderland, yet both feel faithful to Tolkien's vision of Middle Earth.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 am

"Don't interfere with A," isn't concrete enough? Ok..

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri May 13, 2016 3:04 am

I don't think he was referring to "Don't interfere with A".
Well, we're not going to anyway.

So the plan is: talk to Findegil (unless V says OOCly its not yet necessary), spy on drop spot, then plan where to garner support.

As far as how... Look we could just say we want to get support of the Dunlendings, and head toward their territory, and then V can put us on a railroad of some adventure that either goes toward that end or takes us off where we never expected to, but with the end goal that if we succeed, we get the support we needed.
Ie, So we go try to help the Dunlendings and we end up helping some stranded Elves (or anything).

Or we actually follow up on the LOAF of bread V has been trying to butter and set on our plates... that of helping the DWARVES find their lost colony. Dwarves who would probably most supportive of our cause and would be glad to return the favor we show them, without expecting plunder or power in return.

So honestly, now that I bring that up again, my vote is to spy and then go help find that colony. If we succeed, we have Dwarven support, and perhaps we can do the same with men of Enedwaith or Dunlendings.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri May 13, 2016 5:46 am

Yeah. We have a dwarf. I think helping find the colony would be fun.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Hmm, yes, getting the support of the dwarves by helping them find their lost colony is an excellent idea.