The Truth About Vara

The OOC Forum for the Ruins of the North campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Truth About Vara

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:17 pm

Okay this a minor pet peeve, and while all the stuff that's happened in various interactions is obviously various PCs take on things, there are some truths that the players should understand. Don't get me wrong, RP how you like and all that, just know the truth.

Vara was part of the expedition to Carn Dum. Shit hit the fan because you were IN CARM DUM!
Carn Dûm was the capital of Angmar established in the west point of the Mountains of Angmar, near Mount Gundabad in the Misty Mountains, it was inhabited by the Witch-king and his many servants. From here he based his attacks on the three petty realms of Arnor in the early Third Age, quickly managing to coerce or destroy the men of Rhudaur, and later also those of Cardolan and Arthedain.
The third location was a huge mausoleum which Vara and Arphan believed hosted something special. Unannounced to most, Vara and Arphan had seen evidence to support the Palanti­ri formerly at Amon Sûl had been brought to Carn Dûm long ago. It was the prize of this trip. It would be something without price. Such a gift would bring legitimacy back to Cardolan and Arnor. It would begin the healing. Only Vara knew that the tomb was likely that of the Witch-King of Angmar himself.

"I shall give you three the pleasure," the dwarf told them. "For Cardolan," he said as the three entered that place. Time passed. Eventually, a feeling of dread began to creep over the men that waited outside. It did not take long for the Dunlendings to flee, causing the setting of chaos across the caravan.

Aravule, ghostly pale, staggered from the ancient place of dread. Slipping from his grasp was his brother's crown just as the evil sound of the dead drifted out behind the youngest heir of the Cardolan kings of old. Suddenly, as if a damn hard burst, the ethereal images of the dead exposed themselves to the living.

Any and all hired mercenaries ran for their lives, never to be seen again. The rangers brought their blades to bare, but most shared the same fate as the men of less stock. The dwarfs wasted no time, trying to move the massive amount of gold from the terror. Some failed, being stabbed by icy blades, but Vara, with help from his terrified ponies, burst from the carnage.

The most steadfast in the face of such evil were the elves. Aerondil and Telurin found against the undead spirits. So too did Halleth keeping a wight at bay by nothing more than determination to Aravule and Arafel now long dead. Halleth barely remembers throwing Aravule over his shoulder and running, running until he found a horse, and riding until Carn Dûm was a distant and terrible nightmare.

Aravule did not wake on their return to Rivendell. His brothers, Arphan and Arelan were lost, as were most of their allies. The dwarfs and their gold were last seen fleeing west, but the elves nor ranger saw them again. When Aravule was brought to Lord Elrond the Black Breath was already heavy upon him. Only through the wisdom of Elrond did the line of kings of Cardolan not die out that day.
So Vara, along with everyone else ran for his lift, his pony fleeing, and he on the wagon...

In the various Prelude Threads he told his tale to the various PCs, who unfortunately, are no longer playing with us now. His tale took him west from Carn Dum into the planes of Angmar, to the Lone Lands, the North Downs, and eventually Bree. Along the way the other dwarves that were with him died from hazards, trolls, and other dangers of those wild and untamed lands. He lost the ponies, most of the gold, the wagon, and nearly his own life. He managed to survive with 4 bags of gold still and had only been recently returned to the Breelands when you guys set out from Rivendell. So while Aravule was sleeping in the care of Elrond he was wandering the wilds of Eriador trying not to die.

Finally back in Breelands, alive and deciding his next step Nalir caught up to him, beat him up, and stole all the gold that remained and ran off. A week later maybe it was that Aravule and Company caught up with him in the hobbit's home and...

That's when Aravule nearly pulled his sword on Vara (thanks to Halleth he didn't) and the whole Vara is a thieving SOB thing started. I'm not sure why. Anyhow, I spoke my peace. Keep RPing your characters how you like of course, but at least I think you can understand Vara's actual travels, even if you don't IC know them. Even though he did explain himself at the meeting at the Longhole Smial.

Aravule actually smiles at Vara. He does not appear overly concerned, and his ease compared to his frantic actions earlier seem quite unpleasant where it should be reason for relief. "Gone, you say? Spent it all? Or have you found a troll's cave to hide it, I wonder?" The ranger simply crosses his arms over his chest, basically ignoring the hobbits and everyone besides Vara before him.

Vara shakes his head, "Neither!" He turns as some bread and butter are brought out and he takes up the knife again but this time directs it toward the butter. "From there to here is a long trip, and many dangers lie between, the least not treachery." He shoves some buttered bread into his mouth and after he's done chewing (for the most part) he continues. "However some might be in a troll's lair at this point for I was attacked by one, my men and much of the gold was stolen from me right then and there. Then there was the storm that spooked one of the ponies who carried some, and try as we might we couldn't find it in the lone-lands. Bandits, thieves, and most of all Nalir!" He spits that last name, nearly spitting out bread on poor Conrad. "It is cursed I tell you, that gold has brought me nothing but trouble. Any of my companions I once had are dead or fled, some slinking off with what they could, others just glad to be rid of me and it." He motions at the others, "If you don't trust me ask them, they saw they last of it vanish at the hands of that bastard Nalir just a few days ago."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

The Truth About Vara

Post by Boronind » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:23 pm

Thanks for this V. I thought I had the narrative (in different form) correct. I hope I've been RPing as if that was the case.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

The Truth About Vara

Post by TetNak » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:48 am

These are things Vara said he did.

In Aravule's eyes he didn't come to his people or him with the gold immediately, meaning he meant to steal it. His original thoughts were long before Nalir was in the picture.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Truth About Vara

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Of course, however, take into consideration all the other dwarves and hired people either are dead or scattered.

It is some 450 miles to travel, lost in the lands of Angmar and the Lone-lands. Not even the Rangers go hat far north.

Also, he's never been to Rivendell, and if you haven't been there, or have a guide, you can't find it.... Sauron's been looking for centuries!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring