Chapter 2: Book 1 - Hills of Dunland Travel Thread

The OOC Forum for the Ruins of the North campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Chapter 2: Book 1 - Hills of Dunland Travel Thread

Post by Boronind » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:34 pm

I have an idea that is, as is my custom, a "day late, a dollar short, and out of breath," that I needed to check out w/ V before attempting it. I've been negligent in making good use of my starting Virtue, Ravens of the Mountains. I used Körbl only once very early on and have now regretting using him since. I would like to see if it is possible/permissible to use him now beyond the door. I realize that I didn't think about using Körbl sooner, and that birds probably don't do well/like being underground, but I'd like to use him to aid us in not *DYING*--which may not be avoidable--if I can.

So V what do you think? Is there a way to make it work or is it too much of a stretch? Anybody else can chime in as well.

BTW, @HunterGreen, thank for the RP bio. I could tell that your were a RP lifer from the skill you've exhibited so far. Feel free to offer me suggestions as I am not as experienced as you nor as eloquent.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:46 pm

How do you plan to use him? Explain your idea and we can go from there.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Right. As the TOR manual writes the Raven can be used to "Investigate: the raven can be sent to gather information on a specific subject. It must be something naturally accessible to one of its kind." (p. 108) Though this is not outdoors I'm guessing the raven can still fly and hop in the underground. Basically I would be asking him to help carry out what Halleth and the others suggestion Blain can/should do: Use his knowledge of dwarven architecture and design to help find a place where records might be kept, following the future example of what Blain's father, Balin, ends up the Chamber of Marzabul. Körbl could do this and upon his return we could either have him squawk it out in Common Tongue (as indicated in the manual) or continue w/ the practice of pecking it out on the tablet (that I invented as an RP while back)--either way is fine, especially since the former is supported by the lore.

Another wrinkle is this: "Usually, the raven is eager to please you, but an unusual or less than reasonable request might put their faithfulness to the test and require a Courtesy roll against a TN of 14." I'm guessing such a request would fall into this category and Blain has only a Courtesy of 1, though I would spend Hope if needed.

In trying to figure out how to best answer this I found a really interesting analysis/speculating on the dwarves relationship w/ these exceptional birds: (http://www.theonering.net/torwp/the-hob ... ters/roac/) Even if Körbl won't go, to have him say something ominous/prophetic like "“The treasure is likely to be your death, though the dragon is no more.” would be really cool.

A really gorgeous drawing: http://aminoapps.com/page/lotr/3995163/ravens

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Well, getting him to fly around down here is possible, its not like he can't fly around, but talking him into it will have to happen since the place is so obviously malicious and full of Shadow.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:34 pm

Hartley bumps the edge of the well, knocking a loose stone free and sending it careening into the dark abyss below. The group listens in silence as the stone ricochets off the walls of the well. They strain their ears for the sound of a distant splash, but none comes. Instead, after a few anxious minutes, they hear what sounds like the beat of a large drum. Then another. Then a constant rhythmic drumming that rises from the opening and fills the room with a pounding threat of doom. They race for the door, but it is sealed tight. Banging their fists, they soon realize that the Woses either cannot hear their pleas or else decide that they are lost to whatever evil lies within. It is not long before it comes, drawn to the scent of their warm blood. The last thing the hobbit sees are glowing eyes of red flame.

The end.
Last edited by Wbweather on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 pm

"Fool of a Sandheaver!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:22 pm

So who's up for a new game now that Hartely has killed you all?

HunterGreen
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Hunter

Post by HunterGreen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:30 pm

I get to play the ninja.
Join our Discord chat for TOR and AiME: https://discord.me/theonering

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Far Easterling Campaign!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:44 pm

I want to play a sociopathic blood-drinking elf.