On Language in Middle-earth

The OOC Forum for the Ruins of the North campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:27 pm

Middle-earth and its languages is closely tied together. The Professor was a Linguist after all. Middle-earth is unlike most fantasy realms where a character might know 14 languages, or there might be a single all spoken language among everyone.

That presents a bit of an issue for us now...

“Yet there are many that cry in the Dunland tongue,” said Gamling. “I know that tongue. It is an ancient speech of men, and once was spoken in many western valleys of the Mark.”

Tolkien Gateway
Dunlendish was the Mannish tongue used by the Dunlendings,[1] who inhabited the lands west of the Misty Mountains and northward from the Gap of Rohan.

The language was akin to the language of the House of Haleth of the First Age and is almost completely lost, and only a single recorded word remains - forgoil, a Dunlendish word literally meaning 'strawheads', and used as an insult for their enemies, the Rohirrim.

At one time, a language akin to Dunlendish was spoken by some of the Hobbits of Stoor-kind, but by the later Third Age their descendants in the Shire had long abandoned it for the Common Speech.

The only analysis that can be done with some degree of credibility, is that the final part -il could be the plural marker of the word; then, it would be reminiscent to the Elvish partitive plural -li, and perhaps related.

The Horse-lords of Rohan Book

... Even so, all Dunlendings speak close versions of the same unique language, an ancient tongue that has no connection to any other spoken on Middle-earth.

In general Dunlendish is closest akin to Welsh, and with some translations and alterations I'll be using Welsh as our base when and if we use Dunlandish words. The real question is for us however not the scholarly pursuits but the IC Role Play with the language barrier. Dunland isn't a realm of very learned folks after all. Yet they have had plenty of interactions with Dwarves, Rohan and Isengard, and Eriador/Tharbad/Arnor in the 2nd Age.

I will likely try and work in Dunlendings who know the common tongue enough to make conversation possible between parties so we can play the game and not spend the whole time stuck with a language barrier. It may require a bit of extra suspension of disbelief, but it should allow us to play. I know Tet and I have a certain view of Dunland based on years of RP on Ellendor MUSH which we will have to break to take into account the Dunland presented in TOR Books.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:02 pm

I'm in 100% agreement here.

It has always been my opinion that most Dunlendings don't speak Common / Westeron. That is one reason that I indicated what Aravule was speaking. I'm hoping that someone this far north, and who V described as more solitary and appearing well off, would speak some of our tongue based on trade with the dwarfs, etc.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:07 pm

The people of Tunum had a long standing relationship with the dwarves, it was in fact the dwarves who built their fort, traded steel with them and otherwise cultured them into 'western' culture. These Dunlendings speak the common tongue, taught to them by the dwarves, who would not have taught them dwarven, but would have wanted to speak to them.

We shall find isolated clans who speak nothing but Dunlendish. We will find Wulfling and West-marchers and the Gáesela who speak a combo of common, Dunlendish, Rohirric.

I also simply do not want to spend the whole chapter translating, or having no chance to RP because of a language barrier.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Makes sense to me.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Sounds good... I appreciate the consideration of the scholarly angle though, the language barrier hadn't even occurred to me. I still think C7 did an amazing job covering the Dunlendings and making them not only interesting as a culture, but even desirable for players. I'd definitely stat up a Dunlending PC if it made sense (if Kalek dies in WotR, that's what I'll do... though, certainly not hoping for that.)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:41 pm

And a rock falls on Kalek's head and he's dead!

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:41 pm

lol

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:06 pm

Sounds fine to me. I think the line of reasoning in Fantasy Flight Games' version of the Star Wars RPG makes the most sense--language barriers should only be a problem in the game if they are important to the plot. Otherwise, don't bog the game down with them.