Prelude: Vows

The Northern Kingdoms, Nilfgaard, the unexplored east, and the great seas of the west ... Peace was fleeting and the world was falling into despair. Kings fought wars, sorcerers dabbled in arcane powers, and witchers killed monsters for coin. Borders changed, but the hearts of men never would.

The Witcher is a RPG based on the Witcher novels, short stories, and video games. The Witcher RPG is run with the Savage Worlds system.

Run by TetNak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri May 29, 2015 3:25 am

Early Spring 1273
Nastrog, Verden
Manse of Baron Danylo Apostol

Baron Danylo Apostol was an aging man near fifty. He was maimed in the 2nd Northern War, losing an eye, and the baron never let anyone forget it. He likely hated the Nilfgaardians even more than Amarna, if that was possible. The heir of the Nazairian crown had been Danylo's guest for the last six months. He had fed and protected her, but he could never prove anything more than an asset against the Nilfgaardians. Cintra was the buffer to her homeland and it was held by the Black Ones for over a decade. Luckily, King Kistrin of Verden had prevailed here in Verden, and the Nilfgaardians had been pushed out.

The serving maid placed the silver platter of food in front of Amarna, curtsying pleasantly with a smile. "Your grace," she says. All of Danylo's staff had used her title, presuming her the Queen of Nazair. Even Danylo and his wife had done so, much to Amarna's approval. She had suspected Danylo was attempting to wed his eldest son, Mykhailo, a widower, to her. He had not broached the subject as of yet. In fact, Amarna had not met Mykhailo, as he had been away in Kovir on business, or so it was said.

Behind the serving girl walks the baron. His brown hair slicked back and his long mustache curled at the ends. His missing eye was a constant distraction, as the baron wore no patch, and each time he blinked ... It was difficult to eat around the man, but he might have worn no patch on purpose to put everyone around him off guard. He was in good graces with the king, Kistrin, as Danylo was one of Kistrin's biggest supporter when Kistrin rebelled against his father in the last war. Danylo had bet on the winning side and had went against Nilfgaard in the process.

"Your grace," Danylo repeats the servants words, "I hope the mid-day finds you well." The baron walked to the shutters and opened them.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Amarna, the Uncrowned Queen of Nazair (as she thought of herself), had been brooding over her midday meal. On one level, she was grateful to the shelter the Baron was giving her. It was more dignified and proper for someone of her rank than to wander the Northern Kingdoms as a mercenary, as she had been doing. And yet she found herself restless and wanting to move on. At least when she was a mercenary, she could usually find a battle to distract her. Here, she had little to do but brood about the injustices done her and her family, without any real hope of striking back against the Niflgaardians.

To the Baron, she said, "Thank you for asking, sir. I am well enough, though I would not mind another sparring match with some of your knights." She had been doing a lot of sparring.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri May 29, 2015 3:28 pm

Baron Danylo nods slightly, "I am sure we can arrange something." The baron seats himself across from the 'queen' and takes and yawns. His eyeless eylid flickers open and closed. "No real word from the south, I am afraid. Still the great Northern Kingdoms are not apt to try to retake Cintra or any of the other kingdoms." With a stroke of his hand over his chin, he hums, "There is word that fighting has broken out in Nazair, though, your kin do not take occupation well."

It had been the third time fighting had broken out in Nazair in the last year as far as Amarna could remember. These peoplse did this on their own, without any word or planning from her, which was both good and bad. They fought, but they did not seem to care about the advice of the woman. Maybe they could not contact her, or maybe they didn't care to.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Amarna nods and says, "Thank you that news my good baron." She drums her fingers on the table. "I am glad to see my cousins are fighting back, though I also fear for their well being." She also feared that some of the less reliable ones might try to seize the throne for themselves. There were some she could trust with no qualms, but others whose ambition might be bigger than their loyalty. "I wish I could travel to Nazair and fight alongside them, but I'm afraid the price on my head in Niflgaard makes that a foolish proposition. It would be good if I could at least exchange messages with them. Tell me, Baron, how did you get word of this? Do you have scouts or spies in Niflgaard? No, don't answer that question--that's none of my business. But tell me if you could get messages between my and my kin. If you could, I would be most grateful." I might even consider marrying your son, she thinks to herself.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri May 29, 2015 4:52 pm

"Rumors from Cintra, I am afraid, nothing substancial. I personally have no contacts in Nazair, but those in Cintra hear the rumblings from your homeland." The baron considers for a moment, "I might be able to convince the king to send resources into Nazair, but of course, we would have to convince King Kistrin that it benefitted him.

Amarna had not met the king, but Danylo frequently spoke of him, and from everything she knew, the baron and king were close.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Amarna nods and says, "I would be much obliged if you could. I would owe you and King Kistrin a great debt. I am not sure I would be able to repay the debt without regaining my throne, but if I were to regain that throne, be assured I would honor that debt." She considers a moment and says, "And if you could secure me a personal audience with the king to discuss these things directly with him, I think that might well expedite matters. You would be welcome to attend on me during any such visit." She doesn't want to give the baron the impression that she's trying to escape from his influence.
Last edited by Muskrat on Sun May 31, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sat May 30, 2015 3:26 pm

There's no king or queen of Cintra. Kirstin is King of Verden
Danylo nods slowly, "I can try to get you an audience with King Kistrin, should not be that much of a problem." The baron gives the woman a short smile. "Though, I am afraid Nilfgaard has such a tight grasp over Nazair and Cintra, there is nothing to be done without the support of the great powers of the north." Verden was not a 'great power', Amarna knew, but they had to start some place.

The baron rises to his feet, "How about you plan on seeing the king tonight, for dinner. I hope you have a better appetite then," he says, nodding to her plate of food untouched.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sun May 31, 2015 6:13 pm

OK. I edited my post to remove "of Cintra."
Amarna looks startled, then grins at the baron. "Oh, I'll be ready for dinner tonight and promise to show a better appetite." She stands then gives Danylo a friendly clap on the shoulder. "Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to get some sparring practice in to make sure I have that appetite." She headed to the practice yard, her spirits higher than they had been in some time. She knew there was no guarantee that King Kristin would be willing to help her--indeed, that the chances might be slim that he would gamble on the success of a dispossessed exile--but she suddenly felt like things were looking up.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:01 pm

Amarna walks from her room and out into the hallway. The baron's manse was nicer than what the woman was used to, but likely far less impressive than the keep in Nazair which she had never seen.

Walking down the circular stairs she ventures out onto the balcony and down another flight of stairs into the yard. A few bored men are there talking of ale and local gossip, or so Amarna can tell as she arrives. She recognizes them as some of the sentries of the manse, likely off duty as they seem less than active in guarding the building and its grounds.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Re: Prelude: Vows

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:08 am

TetNak wrote:the keep in Nazair which she had never seen.
I'm confused. Why would she have never seen her own castle in Nazair. I thought the invasion only happened a few years ago. Wouldn't I have been raised there?
Amarna nods at the men and asks, "Any news of interest?" She wonders if there's more to the visit of the king than Danylo has let on. The sentries might know something, since they would need to know who to admit to the keep and what was strange enough that they should alert the baron. Of course, they might not tell her, but it was worth asking.