Exordium: A Conclave of Personages

“Welcome to the shining star of the Colonies, the Second City, honorable samurai! May your stay be as interesting and profitable as you desire! I strongly recommend that you do not venture outside the city until you have had an opportunity to receive some rudimentary training with the Second City Guardsmen, however.” – Shinjo Hariken, Vassal of the Miya
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Exordium: A Conclave of Personages

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:10 pm

With the Kuni sitting down the Utaku does the same but after their new guest at the table as she invited him over. She reaches for her cup and a nod to Shiba's intent to order fresh tea. After a quick gulp to empty it she puts it back on the table.

"Not me. Not yet," Yukiko replies grinning. It is quite refreshing to talk to a Crab, the bluntness such a stark contrast to usual courtly talk full of veiled words. "I intend to travel the Empire and its borders before settling down."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:43 pm

"Thank you," Satsuro says to Ginrei. "It seems many people see this marriage as a hopeful place to seek out prospects of their own."

Satusro tries to keep the look of surprise from his face when the Unicorn says she has no intention of getting married anytime soon. He was under the impression Yukiko and Naseru were to be wed soon and that the couple was looking forward to it. Apparently not. He discretely look at Naseru to see what the young man's reaction is.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Shiba Naseru blinks rapidly at Yukiko's statement, his hands faltering slightly as he finishes pouring the fresh tea to the assembled group. "Uh ... alright. As for myself, I am here to meet with the Matchmaker before her own nuptials." He sets the teapot down, straightening his countenance. His light brown hair and amber-colored eyes seem more calm and centered, versus the energy and exuberance he portrayed in the earlier conversations. "We shall see if a proper match might be arranged, the kami permitting."

He takes a sip of the tea after everyone else has. "What drew you here, Ginrei-san? I would more expect a Yasuki courtier to be attending a Crane wedding, rather than a fellow shugenja."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:32 pm

"A proper match is always a good thing for your family and clan. And if it's an enjoyable one it is even better," Yukiko says, her eyes on Naseru as he pours tea. She leans over the table a bit, not wanting to be overheard by other Unicorn that are close by. "When it comes to mine I have to see that it's a match that does not bind me to some place. I do admit that there is more than just a visit to a relative of my father's oldest friend," her tone is almost conspirative as she speaks. "While I understand it certainly it's not like almost my whole family would've needed to appear in Kosaten Shiro. If I were to give the option then I would find someone who is not tasked to appear in court all day. Someone who'd be different from myself would be nice. My family is mostly warriors and diplomats and I would be more than glad to see something else."

The Unicorn thinks back about some of her clan's traditions to find matches to add new blood to the clan, even going so far as to research centuries of a future match's past to see if they were already related to a Unicorn. She looks from her filled cup up and around the table. From the Lion, to the Crab and only stopping on the Phoenix. Wondering if might've been a Unicorn in Naseru's family however long ago.

"I wouldn't mind someone from another clan," the Utaku continues, her thoughts just that that only stops her voice for a second. Recalling the earlier dejection of any prolonged physical contact, she puts her hands back on the table but not reaching out as far as before again. "I do not want to be insolent though I may," she continues whispering. "But I hope your arrangements are made very soon and fall through as then I would step in, Naseru-san. However, if we marry then there would be a few things I would ask for." While marriage is often made for conveniences sake and personal requests are minor concerns the straight-forward Shiotome still intends to at least let her throughts be known. "I cannot part with the name of my ancestor and I do not want to end up confined to a certain place forever. Could you live with that?" She stops her whispering a moment later so the others on the table will not be put off. "If I may ask you something, Kuni-san, how do the Tsukai-sagasu deal with marriages? Dealing with the tainted may make it a bit complicated. Or at least odd for any prospects, I imagine."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:25 am

Tomasu is much more reserved when he meets with Kouseki. No jests or self-depreciating humor as with Tenka. He accepts Kouseki’s proper deference with a formal nod.

Tomasu had been entertaining the improbable idea that Kenka’s employer was a samurai artisan, not a heiman crafter. It certainly makes much more sense that a heiman would need help getting an introduction to a patron and hire a waveman as a guard. Now, sitting in public with a ronin and a peasant, Tomasu becomes self conscious and wonders what others around him might think. Nevertheless, he is duty-bound to keep his word and give whatever help he can.

As he begins to speak to Kouseki, he nods toward Tenka. “Our mutual friend tells me you are a skilled artist. He also tells me you wish to present your talents to the people organizing and decorating the great wedding. I may be able to offer some assistance, but I must learn for myself whether you deserve such consideration. Do you have any samples of your talents that I may examine?”

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:56 am

A furrow creased the Kuni’s blackened brow at Naseru’s query, the only sign of his discomfort. Eventually a cryptic smile blossomed instead. “Moths needn’t explain why they’re attracted to the light.” was his response, a polite way of saying none of your concern. Upon the arrival of a fresh pot, the sleeves of Ginrei’s robes slid back to avoid an accidental spill, though such a gesture seemed unnecessary as he reached for the pot’s handle and poured himself his own cup without spilling a drop.

Slowly spinning the cup in small revolutions, the shugenja allowed the steam emanating from the cup to waft into his nostrils. “Hmm, a fresh aroma.” he mused to himself. Lifting the cup, the young Crab observed his drink with rapt attention, as though he were studying a fragile treasure rather than a simple cup of tea. In a graceful motion he hid his mouth with one sleeve whilst the other lifted the cup to his lips for a sip of the fragrant beverage. As he finished, a contemplative look settled in Ginrei’s features, then a satisfied smile as he rasped, “Mellow with a hint of grassiness in the flavoring.” He inclined his head appreciatively towards the amber eyed Phoenix.

For several moments the Kuni basked in the warmth of the atmosphere provided by the tea and the inn itself. This sense of fulfillment soon gave way to puzzlement at Yukiko’s sudden question as she broke away from whatever private conversation she was having with Naseru. His eyes flicked towards the battle-maiden, “…A peculiar question to ask, Utaku-san. I am privy to many things regarding such figures, though I confess that how they deal with marital arrangements is beyond my ken. The only person I knew that may have answered those que-“

Ginrei paused rather abruptly, his on breaking for a moment to reveal a look of profound sorrow twisting his sharp features. It was all too brief before cool indifference reasserted itself. "Needless to say I do not know such matters."
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Satsuro politely ignores Yukiko and Naseru's whispered conversation. Part of him is very curious and would like to eavesdrop, but his sense of honor compels him to try as hard as possible not to overhear anything. He notes that Yukiko seems to have a gift for asking awkward questions. He is relieved that she is now asking them of the Crab, not himself. He finds himself disappointed when Ginrei declines to answer--Satsuro is always curious to learn more about the more world.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Tenka, Tomasu, Kouskei

Across the room the Dragon finds himself now dealing with a ronin and a hiemin, and takes notice of several eyes that have landed on him. Perhaps they are gossiping about him, perhaps its only in his mind. Kouseki smiles and nods, "Yes of course Dragon-Sama, see here... I have several smaller items with me." He produces from his woven basket pack three small fetishes, each one about the size of a tanto in length. The first is a Crane, the second a Cricket (which is said to be lucky), and the third is a Carp (said to bring wealth). Each one is carved by a master's hand, truly Kouseki has great talent at this art. They are all three made from a soft soapstone and are detailed and designed worthy of any samurai artisan. "These are three of them that I have with me, I have a dozen smaller ones, for each of the traditional Great Clans, and a few that are a bit larger as well of the various Fortunes such as Bishimon."

The others

The others are brought more tea and sit and speak of marriage, Yukiko's response a bit shocking, to Naseru to say the least who thought he was here to be Matched and eventually married to the Unicorn. Luckily the Lion and the Crab are present to distract things slightly from this revelation.

The evening is starting to wan, and several tables are now clearing out, the patrons heading to bed either here in the second floor rooms or at other homes they are renting out for the festivities. In bout 60 minutes (half a Rokugani hour) this place may be ready to shut down for the night.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:31 pm

When the evening is slowly closing in on them and the patrons begin to retire Yukiko addresses Naseru again. "Well, we might as well make our last order as well before we miss it. Would you like a bit of sake and a few steps outside? I feel raw after sitting down so long."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:22 pm

Satsuro decides this is his cue to clear out. He senses that the almost engaged couple might want a bit of time alone. He rises and bows, saying, "It was an honor meeting you all. I should now return to my party and see what arrangements my mother has made for our sleeping quarters."