Exordium: A Lion's Pride

“Welcome to the shining star of the Colonies, the Second City, honorable samurai! May your stay be as interesting and profitable as you desire! I strongly recommend that you do not venture outside the city until you have had an opportunity to receive some rudimentary training with the Second City Guardsmen, however.” – Shinjo Hariken, Vassal of the Miya
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:31 pm

Yeah thanks, I used Boarders in a One Ring game as a play on words. Sometimes my fingers just type without my brain being involved!

If you take on a new name, like you were born Doji and marry and become Akodo, you are Lion and you become Lion and your kids are Lion.
Saturo take a moment to speak to his mother about court tomorrow and she of course approves it. Getting to go and see the governor is an honor and almost a requirement often times when traveling through their territory to show respect. Saturo is given leave by his mother to join his cousin in court in the morning.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:45 pm

So, do you always change name when you marry? Is my mother now definitely a Lion or could she still be a Crane? And what would the implications of those choices be?
Satsuro returns to Soeka and bows formally to her. "Doji-san, I am free tomorrow to go to court with you. I am greatly honored by your invitation and thank you for making these arrangements for me." He then sits down next to her and adds, "And hopefully they are enough people like us in both our clans that calmer heads may prevail and that we may keep the peace."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:05 pm

As far as I have ever seen, you change names, clans, fealty, in all ways you become the other clan.

Your kids become the other clan, and you give up rights and duties of your birth clan.

Like in most settings, political marriages bind families and clans via alliances because people still care about their family/kids/etc when they marry into another clan.
"I would hope so as well cousin. Yet I have seen the heimin out there, pressed into being ashigaru, drilling in the fields. So many farmers taken from the fields, from their work, pressed into military service, it will make for a difficult harvest this year." She yawn, "Oh pardon me! I was up too late last night, and its starting to take a toll on me. I think I shall retire to my chambers. See you tomorrow." She politely leaves.
This thread's over, you can ask more questions on the OOC.

Watch for the Court thread starting soon.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring