Chapter 1: Uncertain Friends and Certain Enemies

In Keltia, you are one of the heroes of the Dark Ages in the time of Arthur, when Britain was still a land of legends. Take part in the great battles sung of by the bards. Travel from the court of kings to the boundaries of the Island of Beli the Great, perhaps even enter the mists of the Otherworld. Maybe you will witness the end of the time of legends and the arrival in history of the greatest hero of Britain that will ever be: Arthur Pendragon.

You may be a clan warrior, a druid, a bard or a mage. Myrddin the Elder may guide you to search for the forgotten gods, hidden treasures and conspiracies to foil, taking you to the darkest forests, the mists of enchanted isles and haunted cairns. The bards will sing of your feats for centuries to come.

Run by GM TetNak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:29 pm

June 8th, 485 AD
Six days southeast of Hyllr, the Darkwoods

For six days Britons and Angles had traveled together in peace. It was an odd thing that two different peoples would move side-by-side, barely able to converse the simplest of ideas. The Angles out numbered the Britons two-to-one, but never did the Angles give any sign of hostility in the least. They shared their food and drink throughout the entire trip. Bearnoch, the Angle Princess, generally stayed close to Berwyn and spoke to him, translating for her people. At night, due the circumstances, the girl generally left the Prince alone. The Darkwood through which they traveled was a forest steeped with superstition and supposed danger. King Eus always believed it to be foolishness, and on their way, the most vicious animal they saw were deer.

Finally, mid-day on the sixth day from home, the group reaches a clearing in the woods where a hill reaches up. In the old days, the Britons always built their defensible positions on top of a hill. Here, the Angles had reclaimed an old fort and done the same. There were two sets of walls surrounding the hill, both wooden and sharpened at the top. The first was on the base of the hill, with flattened areas above where archers, slingers, a spear throwers could easily stand and batter any attackers. The second hill was just around the longhall, a staple of Briton holdings. The small road led up through a gate toward the longhall and small village that were enclosed inside the wall. Outside the wall were few houses, and it is clear that many had been damaged and burned. That was true of the wall as well, which showed signs of wear and repair. Men stood outside the walls chopping down trees, likely to clear away blind spots in their defense and to help with the repair of other buildings and defenses.

Bearnoch places a hand on Berwyn's shoulder. "Home. We go. Be careful. Do no scare people."
Welcome to chapter 1
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Rhedyn guided her horse to the front of the group. "I am our lord's spokeswoman. I shall conduct the initial parlay with the Angles. Trahaeran and Nuallán, come with me to act as my honor guard. Amlaib and Berwyn, hang back for now. I will not have our house's heirs at risk till we know more of those we speak with." She turns to Bearnoch and says, "I do not suspect you of treachery--this is a simple matter of prudence. Of good sense." She gestures to he Angle girl to lead the way to the hillfort.

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:23 am

During the longish trip, Amlaíb had kept close to Nuallán for the most part and given clear, if not overt signs of distrusting the Angles they were traveling with. For one, he -did- distrust them, but it also made sense for their ploy so that this Bearnoch would put all her faith into Berwyn and Amlaíb himself could be used as a scapegoat and a mouth piece for the Corieltauvi's misgivings in the future.

"Just don't let your tongue lash this king of theirs." Amlaíb smirks as the party reaches the palisade,"I'm uncertain if they share our views on feminen dominance."
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:32 pm

Rhedyn harrumphs and says nothing in reply to Amlaib. Though she is loath to admit, she knows there is some truth in what he says--and that diplomacy is not her strength.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Bearnoch stops and draws silent as she's trying to understand what Rheydn just said. "No," she answers, "Must meet Berwyn. Must meet him." The woman pulls her hair out of her face, highlighting the side of her head that is shaved. "I could go and bring back father and mother, for your safety. But must meet the Prince immediately." She looks at Rhedyn, then Berwyn, and gives Amlaib a quick look before waiting for the druid's decision.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Chapter 1: Uncertain Friends and Certain Enemies

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:47 pm

Trahaeran's mood during the travel is one of somber vigilance. He speaks kindly enough when spoken too, but appears to be eyeing everything around him as if it possessed some secret manner of predator that was just waiting for the chance to leap forth from out of the shadows and harm the group. Upon several occasions, the large man falters and falls behind for a moment or two.

Though Trahaeran states that it was merely to make sure that the group was not being followed, the truth of the matter is that old age is starting to catch up to the man. He lingers behind due to his arse and legs cramping from the journey. He lingers behind due to his mind wandering and becoming lost in the days of old and to the thoughts of and old man's past exploits and adventures. He even lingers behind to simply admire the womanly forms of both Bearnoch and Rhedyn, Trahaeran's soul secretly yearning for that someone special to keep him warm at nights and then pondering the reasons why he never married.

In the end however, the large warrior grows angry at himself for allowing his mind to dawdle, and he quickly rejoins the others and tarries no longer.

A smile creeps across Trahaeran's face as he witnesses Rhedyn's disgust towards Amlaib's comments about her being a woman. He briefly admires the woman's tenacity and wonders what it would be like to marry such a woman. These thoughts however, are quickly drowned by the words spoken by Bearnoch and of how one of the sons of Eus must be involved when meeting the Angles.

"I'd think that would be best," comments Trahaeran, his words spoken bluntly, "and found to be acceptable. Your father and mother can come to meet Berwyn, though I'd ask noone else accompany you." Turning to gaze at Rhedyn, the aged veteran continues. "I'd think it best if Dewin, Amlaib, and Rhedyn here, join the King and Queen with their meeting. Any retinue the king's advisers might demand accompany the lot be met by Nuallan and myself. We can hold our own and shall not harm anyone if their intentions of peace be true."
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:07 pm

Rhedyn frowns. "I do not like exposing both the king's sons to danger. But I suppose they already are, out on this expedition." She turns to Bearnoch. "We will meet your mother and father out here. Berwyn will come with us to meet them. Amlaib and Dewin will come as my advisers and Trahaeran and Nuallan as an honor guard."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:02 am

The trip has been easy enough for Nuallan. He's young and eager to press forwards although he's no scout either. Dressed and armed like his fellow warriors he had stayed with his best friend Amlaib. He was the son of the king and not as good as wielding a blade when it was called for so the adopted son of Trahaeran had put it on himself to make sure that he'd be unharmed. However, the young man had still hoped that it wasn't just six days of travel the way it turned out to be. But at least they reached the settlement. At least a bit of change.

"That'd be fine," he says with a grin as Rhedyn calls out the two men to be her guard for this. At least those Angles would see the two best fighters of the Hyllr folk. He watches the exchange for a moment, none of it really concerning himself as far as he can tell. He just nods when Rhedyn announces how they will approach this. Rolling his shoulders he watches Amlaib to see if he has anything more to bring another edge to his aunt's mood.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:26 pm

Berwyn remains fairly stoic as the two companies make their way south. It is strange to see men with whom they would normally be in conflict now at least acting the part of allies. As they walk, he spends time talking with Bearnoch, learning about her family and people, and trying to gain a few words of her language. He finds that he enjoys her company, but notices the others of his group are less inclined to let down their guard. At least no open conflict breaks out as they travel.

When his aunt decides how the meeting with Bearnoch's parents will be carried out, he consents without any argument. He has little fear of Beornochs people at this point. He is more concerned about how an actual alliance will work. The Angles have the greatest numbers. He is not certain what they hope to gain from the Corieltauvi. He wants to see an equitable and mutually beneficial agreement reached although he suspects his brother and the others might prefer the benefits be more one-sided.
Sorry, I missed this thread until just now.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:40 am

Where you guys at?

@Olligarchy
@Tisben
Bearnoch nods, "You wait here, bring my warriors along, for your comfort." If there's no further debate, Bearnoch rounds up her men and lead them up the road and to the first wall. Eventually, she passes out of sight. It takes perhaps a half an hour before images can be seen of a small group returning the way the Angle Princess had came.