Chapter 2: Making a New Home

In Keltia, you are one of the heroes of the Dark Ages in the time of Arthur, when Britain was still a land of legends. Take part in the great battles sung of by the bards. Travel from the court of kings to the boundaries of the Island of Beli the Great, perhaps even enter the mists of the Otherworld. Maybe you will witness the end of the time of legends and the arrival in history of the greatest hero of Britain that will ever be: Arthur Pendragon.

You may be a clan warrior, a druid, a bard or a mage. Myrddin the Elder may guide you to search for the forgotten gods, hidden treasures and conspiracies to foil, taking you to the darkest forests, the mists of enchanted isles and haunted cairns. The bards will sing of your feats for centuries to come.

Run by GM TetNak
Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Re: Chapter 2: Making a New Home

Post by Olligarchy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Amblaib looks from Berwyn, Nuallan and his aunt to Dewyr realizing that however they might concur on a matter as a King it stood his decision alone, and the risks or rewards would be weighed against his soul and conscience.

Grimacing, he looks to his younger brother and claps him on the shoulder.

"Berwyn, thou shalt remain here with yon wife to see to our people and their defence. I shall take Nuallan and Dewyr and scout the path ahead."

As a King he could've... possibly should've ordered another to scout, but if the past seasons had shown anything, it was that he stood possibly the greatest woodsman of the lot and he wanted to leave nothing to chance. In combat he could not match his brother, nor could his presence hasten the limbs of the young, old or weary.

Out there in the wilderness with his old friend he could at least be useful and gauge the best way, and should the Brigantes prince prove treacherous deal with him before he could do any real harm.

"Stand at the ready to march at soonest signal." Needless to say, Amblaib was counting on Berwyn to also use his own judgement in this.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Rhedyn nods at Amblaib's words. "A wise course of action, your highness."

She turns to Dewyr. "We are grateful for your avoid and know how much it must weigh on you to do the honorable thing, rather than to side with your kin who have fallen from honor. Now, can you advise us on the most likely route they will take here? If I know where they will pass, I can remain here with Nuallan and watch in a pool of water for their coming and give us more forewarning of when they will come than we might otherwise have."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:19 pm

"The easiest is from the road from the north and south. They are likely thinking that surprise will be good enough. Plus, with the women, children and livestock, it will cause chaos. I'd not be surprised if they sent volleys of arrows into your center, forcing your warriors to split and advance both north and south. They'd happily kill innocents I think."

Dewyr frowns after his reply.
Are you taking Prince Dewyr with you to scout?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Olligarchy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:52 am

Amblaib nods,"Then let us be off and see if we can't find an alternate route."
Aye. Just Amb, Nuallan and him. Leaving warriors for Berwyn and Ironhew to command in case the attack comes 'early'.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:24 pm

Amblaib, Nuallan and Dewyr make their way into the woods. Nuallan's and the Angles had scouting this area earlier and found nothing. Dewyr marches you down a hill and then circles around into a gully that eventually flattens out and crosses a dried riverbed. "This can fill with water when the rains are heavy. Or when the winter snows melt." Another mile or so northwest and the forest even begins to thin substantially; this would allow Amblaib's people to pass almost as easy as on a road. There is never any sign of danger or treachery.

"This is as far as I dare take us. We do not have much time." He points back toward the east, "The woods are heavy in that direction next to the road. It would not be easy for them to come directly west and assault our flank. I believe they would need to follow in the same way we've gone." The Prince turns his attention north, pointing, "In a few miles we would reach King Gwrgi Garwlwyd's land."

Gwrgi Garwlwyd was something of a hero to the Brigantes and Parisi. His mother was a a Parisi druid princess, not unlike Rhedyn, and his father was a powerful Brigante king that formerly owned all the land in this area, including Hyllr. He had died of treachery and Gwrgi had never let the other Brigante kings forget it. He was mostly an isolationist, disallowing foreigners and even other Brigantes into his lands. He was harsh but just. When the High King of the North summons "the Great", as he is known, Gwrgi never answers. They say his armies are powerful, well supplied and armed, as well as plentiful.

"My father would never go there," Dewyr states, "We can hopefully cut through without King Gwrgi notices us. His lands are narrow to the north and west. It is a chance I implore you to take."

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Olligarchy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:41 am

Kneeling besides the riverbed, Amblaib feels the earth for its firmness. Clearly the men, women and even children and elderly could pass through here with relative ease, but what of the carts and herded animals? Still... Amblaib had to give Prince Dewyr points for having picked a route that was both secure and relatively easy to travel, though he could not shake the feeling of unease he was feeling from this. There were too many variables that he could not control, the least not being King Gwrgi. They had enough enemies, and he was not looking forwards to making more.

Getting up, he rests a bit on his bow looking around.

"You've chosen this route wisely, Prince Dewyr." He notes in gratitude,"And I see no reason we should not use it, though I believe it would not be wise to attempt and sneak past a great king like Gwrgi. No doubt he'll have sentries and even pickets, so an emissary to soothe his temper should be sent... either myself or mine aunt to let him know he need not call his hird to war on our account."

He looks to Nuallan and the Prince for further thoughts, especially hoping Nuallan will have thoughts on how to get the manyfold possessions of the Angles and Britons through here.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:56 pm

Rhedyn says, "I'm willing to be your emissary, your majesty--but I may be of more use if I stay behind and can divine when King Aled and his men are approaching, giving our folk the jump on them."
How useful do people think trying to divine the approach of Aled would be?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:26 am

Technically, Rhedyn is not with the king, as far as I know.
Dewyr considers, "Well, perhaps send someone ahead, aye. But I would begin moving your caravan immediately and without delay. Worst case, he stops ups and does not allow entry, and we can go west if we have to." He pauses, "I know little of the terrain that way, nor the kings, I will admit."

WalterPeck
Level 12
Level 12

Post by WalterPeck » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:42 am

Nuallan went with his liege and Prince Dewyr to scout ahead and attempt to ensure Dewyr wasn't speaking false and leading them into a trap. As the trio went further ahead Nuallan began to believe Prince Dewyr spoke the truth. The dry riverbed provided a natural road way for the refugees to use. With heavy woods to the flank Nuallan and the remaining warriors could lay in hiding and spring a trap if needed.

When Amblaib looked for opinions Nuallan spoke up, "My liege I think any action is better than no action. We should move the caravan this way. An emissary should be our vanguard and a rear guard should trail behind to fend off any skirmishes,"
Asad Uller - Blood for Gold, Brayden Weathers - Shattered Kingdoms, Marshal Buckler - War without End, Ragnar - Dawn of Days, Henry Mallister - Shattered Kingdoms

Italics = internal thoughts.

Put your weapon on happy and chamber a smile.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:24 am

Berwyn consults with Bearnoch and then the two of them gather together the prominent men of the Angles and the Corieltauvi. They instruct them to wake their families and ready them to move as soon as possible. The men are then instructed to prepare to defend their rear if they should be attacked as their families withdraw. There is initially some confusion, but soon the camp is organized with the women ready to leave as soon as Amblaib returns to lead them away. The men gather what arms they have and start laying makeshift barriers to impede the progress of the pursuing force.