Interlude: Caer Du Nos and King Gwrgi Garwlwyd

In Keltia, you are one of the heroes of the Dark Ages in the time of Arthur, when Britain was still a land of legends. Take part in the great battles sung of by the bards. Travel from the court of kings to the boundaries of the Island of Beli the Great, perhaps even enter the mists of the Otherworld. Maybe you will witness the end of the time of legends and the arrival in history of the greatest hero of Britain that will ever be: Arthur Pendragon.

You may be a clan warrior, a druid, a bard or a mage. Myrddin the Elder may guide you to search for the forgotten gods, hidden treasures and conspiracies to foil, taking you to the darkest forests, the mists of enchanted isles and haunted cairns. The bards will sing of your feats for centuries to come.

Run by GM TetNak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:25 pm

Caer Du Nos.

The Fort of Deathly Nights.

There was a rumor that King Gwrgi Garwlwyd actively looked for criminals in order to hang them each night. When he could find none, he hung people who displeased him instead. He was not the King of Elmet, and so technically he served beneath "the Lame", Masgwid ap Cwrast, but it did not feel that way to some. Did he tithe to Masgwid? Many said he did not. His autonomy struck fear in the other kings, and so the rumors swirled.

King Berwyn and his aunt, Rhedyn the "Sharp", had heard such rumors. Yet, for many years they were far removed by many days march through the Darkwood from this king. King Eus had never made the trip for his worries were the Saxons to the south, not other Britons, regardless if they were Brigantes or even Brigantes such as King Gwrgi. Berwyn and Rhedyn had been given directions by Prince Dewyr, and after walking through the night and part of the morning the pair found a trail which ultimately linked back to the main road, but far enough north to be out of danger from King Aled's treachery. The trail led up a small hill and across a wide open plain full of shrubs, thistles and half dead trees. The wind played sounds against the earth as it whirled and swept from east to west, causing a chill to fall over you both.
This thread is for @Wbweather and @Muskrat
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:33 pm

"Well Aunt, does your magic give you any insight as to how we might proceed with King Gwrgi? Unless you see a reason to act otherwise, I will address him as equals. I do not want to convey weakness. Let him question our strength and perhaps that will give him pause."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:21 pm

"An interesting notion," says Rhedyn, "but my magic only allows me to see vague portents of the future, not tell me how to proceed with King Gwrgi. I might try to charm him with my spells, but if he had any hint I was trying to do that, he might take both our heads. No, we will have to rely on our wits, such as they are." She considered and said, "We should approach him as equals--but also as supplicants, asking him a favor, to be allowed to cross his lands freely. We ought to start by presenting the gifts, then make known to him our reasons for being here. And then we will have to play it by ear. And remember," she wags a finger at Berwyn, "the less said about the Angles and your bride, the better. By reputation, King Gwrgi is hostile enough to his fellow Britons, never mind to those who have invaded our shores."
I want to make a Traditions check to ensure I get all the protocol right--the order to present the gifts, make the request, the words to use to treat him like great king--to give Gwrgi as little reason as possible to be offended. I'm pretty sure historically one gave gifts first, then got to business, but I just want to be sure I get it right in game.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:05 pm

The wind blows hard and by the time you reach the crest of the hill the heavens have opened up and rain begins to fall. The area is remote, thankfully, and there is unlikely to be bandits spotting two individuals carrying such treasures to steal. For another hour the rain picks up and steadily falls overhead, soaking you and making the trek quite uncomfortable. It is unclear if you are in King Gwrgi's domain or not. There are no markings and no sign of life whatsoever.

The trail turns you west, further from the main road through Elmet where you had fled King Aled, and again the surroundings are barren and rocky. This was certainly not fertile ground for crops or grazing. Eventually, after a long while you spot a wagon pulled by a lone mule coming in your direction from your destination. A man sits in the bench and slowly rolls toward you.
No need to roll, that's fine

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Berwyn hails for the man to stop. "Well met friend, Can you tell us if this is the way to King Gwrgi's hall and how far away it lies?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:43 pm

Rhedyn adds, "And can you tell us if the great king is there or not?" She was remembering the earlier augury she had cast, predicting that there people would be attacked from two directions. One of those attacks might be King Gwrgi's. She was hoping their visit would forestall any such attack--but it was possible he had already left.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:50 pm

The man keeps leading the horse closer and closer until finally he nearly bumps into you as you start speaking.

"What!?! Who is there?"

Looking up, the shadow of his hood can no longer obscure his face and his secret is shown. The man has no eyes, only dark pits of black where it appears each had been burned out.

He ignores your questions.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:55 pm

Rhedyn may have a grouchy personality, but underneath it all, she cares about people. "Ai," she says when she sees the man, "what happened to you? Are you in pain? Perhaps I have a salve that could ease it." She begins rummaging around in her bags for something the man might rub on his eyes.
Medicine check to see if I have anything appropriate.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:51 am

"Yes, who was it that blinded you? We will do what we can to give you aid. Not all men are so cruel in this world." Berwyn trys to follow his aunt's lead and assist as he can.
I can try a medicine check as well or is there a way to assist?