Origin: A Night to Remember

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:00 am

Memory is an unreliable Narrator, who turns our Past into Fiction. Is Reality equally malleable?

Some time ago ....

"Even in moments of desperation, we turn to the same old thing." That thought occurs to Dexter as he passes through security into the pulsing lights of the Nightclub. He's sure that there is really light and color all around, eclectic outfits of riotous design, and glowsticks in every color conceivable. But for him, it all looks to be shades of grey.
That perception underlines his entire life at the moment. Something is wrong, something is Missing. And this isn't just his usual bouts with depression and alcoholism. Sure, he's come here after a long hour of pre-drinking, but that's just another weekday for him. His sardonic sense of humor no longer lightens the mood, it just highlights how screwed every conversation is. His access to restricted texts in the Library refuses to engage his prodigious intellect. Now, they're just dead words on a dusty page. What might be the biggest loss to him of them all, is the Tarot doesn't seem to be speaking to him anymore. He'll sit down for a reading, and the Cards have no meaning. Just colored stock-paper disordered by shuffling, following probabilities taught in high school math classes. No magic, no mystery, just a deck of too-expensive paper. A waste of time, like everything else.
Welcome @Hermit! I thought I'd start the Story off on a hopeful and optimistic note. ;) Make a post, and we can see how this story will go.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:57 am

A nice start, definitely did a superb job capturing Dexter's personality and outlook at that time. *cracks knuckles* Now then, let's get this Chronicle started.
A moment of silence transpires where Dexter's dreary thoughts take a turn for the darker. Will this be the night, I wonder? This was not the first time that he'd entertained the thought of suicide. Try as he might to cling to that heady cocktail of escapism and fantasy, reality never failed to rear its ugly head and mock him for his efforts like the heartless bastard it was. Still, perhaps it was out of fear of what may await him on the other side, if anything at all. Maybe it was his stubborn attempt at adhering to certain philosophical ideologies. Or maybe some shred of remorse over how such an action might affect his sister and those few friends he'd cultivated over the years. Whatever the reason, he'd managed to stay his hand thus far.

The frown deepens. Green eyes that once glimmered with roguish mystique now gaze with blank numbness across the amalgam of sights and sounds that permeate the nightclub. It wasn't too long after mom had died and he'd flown the nest that he'd found some respite in places such as these. Didn't matter who the clientele they normally served was, as long as they accepted his money, the music was decent and the liquor was sweet and heavy, Dexter could always count on finding an empty corner to blind himself from the inconvenience that was life in general, even if only for a few moments.

His legs unconsciously propel him forward as he slowly makes his way over to the bar like a man fated for the gallows. Well, might not be too far off the mark if I just replace the noose with a bottle. Another pitiful attempt by his mind at trying to find humor in this bleak existence he muses. More out of simple reflex than anything, the young man's hands smooth out his customary attire of dress shirt and slacks with a sable single-breasted waistcoat before setting himself down on the worn empty seat. He pays no heed of the other regulars in his midst, content with simply losing himself in the minute details of the counter's surface until the bartender is ready to take his order.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:30 am

Time seems to pass as if this were a movie he was watching, rather than actually participating. The bartender today is an attractive woman in her early 20's. Chocolate-brown eyes, a cute upturned nose, soft round face framed by dark hair, a vision of loveliness. She is dressed in a frilly white dress shirt, a black vest, and a small jaunty hat. If life were well, he might smile and harmlessly flirt. Instead it seems as though everything is covered in a thick haze. She comes over and speaks, but it seems muted and indistinct. Dexter responds instinctively, giving his order in the same garbled noise. Time doesn't seem to follow with any linearity, and before he can consider it a drink is in front of him, and she has moved off to get the orders from a group of college kids that just came in together.

As dark thoughts continue to bounce around his mind, Dexter hears a single voice pierce through the aural miasma. A feminine voice, but one of strength and vitality. After a moment of consideration he feels a deep sense of recognition, even through his mental haze...
Now introducing @Hayabusa!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Getting lost in the things you love is easy to do. The locale matters little either. Only the sounds, the sights and tastes. And being slightly intoxicated makes it even simpler. It did not matter to her how much of the night had passed only how much of it remained. And all of that was supposed to be enjoyable instead of a drab and wasted night. It may just be a

One of the sights caught from the crowd is a familiar one and even from afar the man taking his seat at the bar it does not look as glad to be here as it was before. At least on most days when Dexter's sardonic remarks do not go overboard. So far though he seems to stick to alcohol as often so emerging from those still caught in music, June sees that this has stayed a constant. A minute or two after spotting him, she makes her way to the bar and leave tangled floor crowd behind.

Bumping into the counter and putting a hand on Dexter’s shoulder she tries to catch his attention but also raises a hand to get the barkeeper’s attention to put in a new order. Wearing a simple black halter dress she takes a moment to look at him with a smile, a hint of exhaustion on her face. “Hi, Dex!” She says with the cheeriness he is lacking. “You’re far too serious to sit at the bar with a cute ‘keeper behind it. I already know the answer but why don’t you join us for a bit? Or I can offer to join you here. At least you won’t look too sad and lonely then.” She adds and grabs a nearby stool to pull up as she waits for a mix of brandy, rum and juice.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Origin: A Night to Remember

Post by Hermit » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Too tired to indulge in the impulse to flinch or smack away the hand of whoever had the audacity to violate his personal space, recognition registers across Dexter's face at the sound of the offender's voice. Craning his head ever so slightly, the blurry figure slowly resolves itself into the all too familiar sight of June Lacey-Hale. The young man makes a vain attempt at a genuine smile, only managing to pull off what appears to be a hollow and pained grimace for his troubles.

In many ways, Dexter considers June to be his foil if one were to look at it from a literary perspective. Certainly there was much common ground between the two of them as far as interests were concerned, otherwise he would've never tolerated her company to begin with, yet something that always perplexed Dexter was how June always seemed to have a proverbial feather in her cap, even when confronted with life's innumerable upsets and curve balls.

Dexter says nothing in response to June's various offers and invitations, knowing full well that his answer will have no bearing on deciding whatever course of action or flight of whimsy she'll take. Mutely staring into the distorted reflection given off by the contents of the hurricane glass in front of him, it does not take long for Dexter to take note of a few inconsistencies. For a man who prided himself on maintaining appearances, he looked like a wreck, even moreso in this colorless and distorted haze.

His hair, which had long ago been bleached blonde as opposed to it original raven hue, had lost much of its luster and appeal, hanging limply about rather than in its customary slicked back position. More telling, at least to those who knew him well enough, was the hint of a stubble forming across his normally clean shaven face, a disconcerting sight upon one who loathed the very notion of facial hair to be sure.

The continued silence on Dexter's end seems to stretch on for several agonizingly long seconds, eyes dumbly fixated on his drink. Wish I had a straw. Eventually a hand reaches up to grasp the perspiring glass and, after an experimental swish, takes a large swig of its contents. Elements of coconut, pineapple, orange and melon wash across his taste buds. Tidal Wave huh? Resisting the urge to simply knock back the rest of the cocktail down rather than savor it, Dexter finally turns over to fully acknowledge the presence of his on-and-off club-hopping partner.

"...I wish I knew how you do it." are the words that listlessly spill forth from Dexter's lips.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:32 pm

"Do what exactly?" June replies and sitting down on the stool she pulled over. It does not seem like Dexter has any intent to move from where his right now. In more than just one way. His grimace is far more telling than anything else. However, she cannot suppress the sigh that escapes her at the thought of his state of mind. Still they are close acquaintances, friends as far as she considers them though not the closest ones they could be.

She leans onto the counter to face he man who hides many things. “You know, sometimes you just need to keep going even if you don’t want to. Not thinking helps and you’ve let your thoughts just pass through and out of your mind instead of letting them linger and turn dark. At least that's what I do. You cannot control everything, only try and keep it on track."

June takes a quick sip when her drink is served, thinking that this one tastes like someone put far too much juice and too little rum into it but does little but shrug the concern away before she puts her sight back on Dexter. "Familiar things help too. Like friends or something else. It ain't my type of cards but you're good with those other ones, right? Since I guess yours will probably be all death and stuff and I expect you don't want to do yourself you can try me out, Dex. But not at the bar," she adds and quickly gets back on her feet to see if they can find a bit more privacy or a clean place. "I'll pay the next round if you win," June smiles.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Attempting to get a word in edgewise, especially in his current state, proves trickier than expected, his brain plodding through some mental morass in order to give voice to his woes and grievances. Before he can even conjure up a single retort it is clear to Dexter that to try and backtrack the conversation would be an exercise in futility.

Still, a flicker of rage mars his face for but a moment at June's mention of the cards. What ragged vestige that remains of rationalization recognizes the woman's attempt to try and cheer him up, and yet he cannot help but feel a stab of outrage at the audacity of her innocent proposal.

None of it's real! Don't you get it?! It's all just a fucking sick joke! Sleight of hand! Smoke and mirrors! You know this better than even I do and yet you still cling to it as though there's something more to it! Why!? I've wised up to the farce, why bother still pretending!? Why act as though life hasn't dealt you a worthless hand!?

There is a panicked expression to the young man's face, like that of a cornered animal who has foolishly revealed itself to predators in its midst. Upon realizing that no one has reacted in an adverse manner, it dawns on him with a weary sense of relief that his pained outburst had remained within the confines of his booze-addled and tortured mind. The panic ebbs away into despondent resignation once again, and there is a pregnant pause between the two of them that seems to stretch on for an uncomfortably long period of time.

Noting that June has yet to take the hint that he wishes to be left alone, it becomes painfully obvious to Dexter that she will not let the matter rest. And it's not like he could wave it away by saying he didn't have his deck with him. The familiar weight of the silk pouch within his pant pocket was a poignant reminder of that.

Knocking back the remainder of his cocktail in one go, Dexter wipes his mouth and raises a finger up at June in a single motion. "One reading. That's it. After that... it's over, I'm burning the damn thing and everything else that has to do with it." He gingerly gets up from his seat, fishing out a few bills to place on the bar counter before fully facing the young stage magician. "Okay... where to?"
Hey, @ManWithDoor, at this point I'm fine with a scene change to wherever it might be appropriate to get things rolling. I'd also like it if we slowed the pacing down just a tad so as to get a little more interaction going. Nothing too lengthy that might potentially slow down the progress of the Chronicle too much, but just enough to inject a little more drama into the mix.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:13 pm

The music, noise, and movement of the Club seem to wash over and around the pair, like a rock protruding above the surface of a mighty river. The clubgoers seem to travel to and from the bar without really seeing Dexter or June. The song shifts to some sort of techno music with a heavy bass beat that they can feel thrumming through their shoes.

There is one small oasis of quiet in the far corner, a single booth designed just for that purpose. The table farthest from the bar, the walls orient just right to mute the aural assault enough for a normal conversation, or even the ability to think without having one's brains scrambled. Only one small problem with the booth is apparent - it is currently occupies by a trio of college students. The three young men, quite possibly having used fake IDs, are nursing bottles of Corona with bright wedges of lime stuck on top. They appear to be crowded around the central man's cellphone, alternating between wincing and laughing raucously.

A cool, clear breeze wafts through the door as another person joins the crowd in the Nightclub. The night is cloudless and pleasant, the waxing moon shining brightly down on the City.
If you decide to persuade the young men to leave and find other accomodations, in an OOC at the end tell me what Attribute + Ability you want to use.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:25 pm

With a spot in a corner that looks like the best place for cheering Dexter up, June heads over to the booth. As the music shifts, for just a moment she considers to divert the way and pull her friend acquaintance along. However, it'd probably put her in a far worse standing and certainly not something he would like. Not at all, she thinks. So instead the path is laid out.

Though getting closer the three young men are the only obstacle left. Still, they are just beer-drinking students and their focus is on a phone. At least it looks far more sleek than her own. "Hey guys, what're you watching?" She asks squeezing herself onto a bit of free seat to catch what the three are so interested in. "Don't tell me that you've been just staring at that all the time. Because one of the girls thought you're hot but when the dance started you didn't catch her," she adds to the one who's most turned into the direction of the dancers.
Charisma + Empathy, for me.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:54 pm

Standing back a fair distance, Dexter quietly observes June with folded arms as she attempts to work her charms on the college students. Dexter knows well enough to let a pretty face like June handle this lot. His only hope is that they keep their hands to themselves, otherwise...

Though still unsteady and gloomy from his earlier indulgences, Dexter wagers he can take on these punks. The prospect of a fight is never something that he has casually dismissed or backed down from. A lifetime of derision and bullying had seen to that.

Overhearing some snippets of the conversation here and there, Dexter clicks his tongue. Probably looking at some poor bastard they took a picture of with a dick drawn on their face while passed out on the couch, is what Dexter surmises if he were to wager what a bunch of dumbasses like them were giggling inanely over. That or any other number of highly stupid things that people their age found hilarious for one reason or another.

A balmy breeze cutting its way through the club snatches Dexter's gaze momentarily, watching the entrance with passing curiosity before returning his attention fully to the booth where June is currently attempting to secure a quiet spot for the both of them.
If needed, I'll roll Perception+Awareness to see if I catch a glimpse of whoever it was that just entered the club.