Origin: A Night to Remember

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Origin: A Night to Remember

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:19 am

The classic San Francisco fog flows over the pair, obsuring their vision. On another night it might just be refreshing and picturesque. Tonight it feels oppressive, creepy even. The pair shiver as they walk swiftly down the street. Traffic looks normal, with a number of cars, taxis, buses, and the occasional cyclist make their way to their own destinations.

June sees that her friend is significantly stressed, and not in his usual neurotic way. Something has genuinely upset, and perhaps frightened him. Her senses from early still find some sort of supernatural energies sparking off him, although they seem more disjointed, and weaker than before. He keeps glancing behind him as well, clearly thinking about whatever is or was in the Nightclub.

As Dexter looks back, turning his body and thoughts to the Nightclub, he sees the path back illuminated by a brassy light. He feels something beyond his conscious control doing ... something inside of him. Some part of him exercising the power that was revealed he had. He feels a possibility unfolding in his mind, seeing himself staying where he had been a minute ago. He sees the Agent again in his mind's eye, the Black Tower behind him extending its tendrils towards the duo, overwhelming the light of the Wheel. Dexter's mind snaps back to the present, only seeing the street and the fog. He feels for certain that if he had stayed, he would have been in terrible danger.
Dexter - Wild Magic Roll @ TN 6 = 3,7,8. 2 Successes. Time scry goes into effect, giving you some limited insight.

San Francisco having fog is kind of famous. I don't know weather science (I'm a biologist, not a meteorologist), but I hear it has to do with the city being sandwiched between the Pacific Ocean and the Bay. Humid air combined with temperature differences between the two bodies of water, or something. It can be beautiful or annoying, pleasant or dangerous, depending on the circumstances. I generally enjoy it, although it can make driving a cautious endeavor.

The Swordcane = Actually ... I carefully never brought it up in any of the previous posts. Remember how we never really made up a backstory for how you got it, nor what the Wonder's powers are? Well for some good OOC Spoilers, your Character never had it before. It basically materialized in your hand as part of your Awakening. Yet your mind will make up whatever you want it to on how you got it, or when you trained with it. Even June's mind will rationalize its presence, insisting she's seen Dexter walk around with it before.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:49 pm

"I guess a confrontation might not be the best thing then," June replies entirely unsure at the whole situation. Most days uncertainties are something she can deal with without much hassle but this here is too odd. "You look worse by the way. I think it may be time to get out of here and get some rest or something. Especially if we were being watched. So, for just a second I gotta ask but how do you know about this guy watching and maybe intending anything much worse?"
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Wish I could do a better job of word painting these experiences, heh. Oh well, I'll just have to try my best I guess.
Dexter only manages to hear bits and fragments of June's dialogue, still reeling from the chimerical vision assaulting his psyche just moments before. A cold sweat begins to break out across the half-Romani's forehead, olive skin once flush with vitality overtaken by an ashen pallor. The fog continues to billow and coil through the urban jungle, and Dexter can't help but find a certain dismal quality to the phenomenon that normally evokes a sense of mystique and wonderment in his mind.

Wiping away the sweat with a clammy hand, Dexter leans onto his cane for support. "Look June, while I'd love nothing more than to play twenty questions with you, here and now is hardly the time for it." He breathes in the peculiar stench of exhaust, traces of perfumes and colognes, and just the barest hint of brine. "I'm heading home. If you still have questions by the time I get there... we'll see."
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:04 am

Dexter is clearly too stressed to discuss his experience out here in the dangerous wild. Best to get home safe and sound, then figure out what in the hell's to say. A number of options come to mind. He can hail down a cab, or simply order an Uber to come pick him up. There are buses, or he can walk to the subway. Hell, if he doesn't mind the weather he could even walk. No real hurry there.

As both their minds run through the options (or others as well), Dexter faintly hears solid, steady, unhurried footsteps from behind them, almost hidden by the muting power of the fog. He's not sure exactly how far away, but certainly getting closer as they stand at the intersection.
Perception Checks: Dexter = 2 Successes. June = ... I'm not going to bother rolling anymore. Botch territory. So I'll just be nice and have the primary PC in this story notice stuff. It'll be better for everyone this way.

Wild Magic @ TN 6 = 2,2,4. 0 Successes. No insights.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:02 pm

I say let June still take a whack at perception checks. Who knows, she might get lucky.
A chill runs down Dexter's spine. The noise of a distinct pair of footsteps that on any other occasion might simply be filtered out as commonplace in a bustling and vibrant city like San Francisco carries with it a subtle menace, casually approaching its prey with the arrogant confidence of an apex predator. It is hard to gauge the distance over the rest of the background noise clamoring for attention, but Dexter is unwilling to take any chances by idling about any longer than absolutely necessary.

"We're being tailed I think," murmurs Dexter lowly enough that only June can hear. He scans the intersection for signs of a nearby entryway into the subway station, his next course of action hinging upon such an access point being readily available. It would also be a fair assessment that the half-Romani is counting on his... intuition if you will, to aid him in making this important decision as well. "You can come along or go separate ways for now, but either way it's not safe to stay here for long."
Basically Dexter is looking around to see if there's a stairway into the Subway. If not, he's just going to stick with booking it on foot in the direction of home. As for where that home is, I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to what areas or neighborhoods cater to which class of society and what have you, so I will defer to you on what area would make the most sense for someone like Dexter to live in. Is that alright, @Manwithdoor?
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:35 pm

"Being chased through the fog by someone, I do not think splitting up might be the best idea. At least for the one who might end up a target and admittedly I don't care something like -this- with me," June says with a gesture to the cane he carries with him at all times. She can hardly imagine him without it. "I can get lucky and talk myself out of almost anything but if that don't work... well, I got nothing." For the time she's sticking with Dexter for now. Besides, she can always leave him at his place as long as he obviously senses more than she does. And leaving him alone after just awakening might not be the best idea at this time either. While no mentor she doubts it will be helpful if he was alone even if he were to send her on her own way.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:45 pm

The next hour is full of stress and tension, as the pair try to slip away from their pursuer, eventually losing him in the fog. They make random turns, get on the subway going the wrong way for one stop, then hop off and immediately get on another train going the opposite direction. After a while, it becomes apparent that they've lost whomever was tailing them. They're free and clear, although the twists in their stomachs may not unknot for some time.

The Outer Richmond area is quiet when you get back to Dexter's apartment. The mainly immigrant neighborhood still has many lights on, with families staying up late. The rent is still mildly affordable, and the neighbors are generous and friendly. A good place to live. The apartment is modest, but comfortable. And the reality of it helps keep out the stress of the evening. Just two friends at home, safe and sound, after a truly memorable night.
I don't live in San Francisco proper myself, so I'm always iffy on what 'neighborhoods' are what. We can leave it nebulous. It doesn't really matter what the address is. "Oh yeah, the apartment is over by *cough* street, in the *cough cough* neighborhood."

Feel free to summarize or RP whatever you want. You're free and clear, no more Visions, no more Agents chasing you. Hermit is going on vacation, so no need to drag this out longer than you two actually enjoy it.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:45 pm

Normally I'd like to go into great detail about the room itself, but for now I'm just going to keep it simple and add detailed descriptions at a later date.
Not even bothering to kick off his shoes as he crosses the threshold into his darkened apartment, Dexter's vision blurs as he makes a beeline straight for the familiar sight of a well worn light green couch and unceremoniously collapses backwards onto the cushions with a dull thump. He closes his eyes, welcoming the darkness of his abode to creep into his being and set him at ease. The click of a switch followed by an intrusive burst of light sends that hope careening into the abyss.

The half-Romani sighs, for a moment wishing that he arrived at home himself and could find the time to sort out this mess. Fate, thy name is June, and I swear I think you intend to be cruel at times. Slowly his eyes crack open and wearily focus on the young woman. "I know I said that we'd talk later, but I was kind of thinking later would be perhaps tomorrow when my head isn't splitting and my heart's not beating a mile a minute."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:23 am

Still having an odd feeling about the man she barely noticed but Dexter apparently perceived far more differently, June still feels relieved when she pushes the door closed behind her after a glance back outside again. While curious about his place, it is not one of her concerns at the moment. The man having chosen to lie down in the darkness is. She drives it away with the flick of the light switch.

"I'd say that's fine with me and I'd leave you alone to sleep off the drinking and everything but tonight is not a night like any other and one we will both remember," she replies, noticing the apparent effort he needs to look at her she uses the same switch to plunge the place back into the dark. At least there's no way for him to see that I barely know what to do here either. "But we can make this real short. Might not take more than a minute even. I think you've changed, Dexter. Like, you've been normal until a few hours ago but you are no longer just normal."

"You sound like you yourself on your very first time, my dear. I suggest to be a bit less plain." June receives as a response though it is just for her to hear.

"Okay, it was explained to me somehow like this: Almost everyone you and I know is sleeping even when they walk around. Not like literally but rather spiritually. And tonight you changed. I have no idea what happened because I never felt this coming from you ever. What I am trying to say is, do not imagine your head splitting because you might actually make that happen," she adds with a bit more certainty that is weakened a second later. "I think."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:21 pm

Tired eyes swivel back to the off-white ceiling momentarily, lips curling into an agitated frown. Dexter clucks his tongue against his teeth in a petulant manner when it becomes clear that June will not let sleeping dogs lie despite having bathed the room in nocturnal bliss once more.

Seconds dilate into minutes. "...What am I supposed to say to any of that?" The query is spoken quietly, yet the frustration laced with desperation is evident in the sharpness of the tone. Dexter shifts into a sitting position on the sofa, boring his emerald gaze into the shadowy silhouette of the stage magician. "How does one describe answering questions posed by a gigantic burning Wheel of Fate? Or seeing a bland looking guy in a suit suddenly appear as an evil illuminati bastard keeping tabs on everyone's thoughts like something out of 1984? Or seeing infinite possibilities played out in front of you like reels of film or the whirling currents of the ocean? Oh and let's not forget to list seeing you surrounded by Fate's web, you know, just in case you were feeling left out in all this somehow."

The young man feels the urge to shout mounting, but has enough of his wits about him to restrain that urge in the interest of keeping neighbors from potentially eavesdropping. "Honestly June, does any of that sound even remotely credulous to you?"