Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Re: Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:17 am

Dexter acknowledged the introduction of Sparrow's apprentice with a respectful nod, his mind quickly formulating a multitude of theories as to what kind of abilities this "Geyser" might possess. Something water-based, probably. he mused, the briny smell of surf from earlier still fresh in his memory.

For his part, the half-romani seemed surprisingly unperturbed by this shift in what he had been initially led to believe to be a purely legal proceeding. In his mind he chose to treat this as a learning experience, a glimpse into the inner workings of the Council not commonly afforded to an outlier such as himself. Some reports held only a modicum of interest to Dexter, whereas others, namely those supplied by Sparrow and Dr. Electrik on matters pertaining to sorties against the Technocracy and tracking down the whereabouts of the Snow Woman respectively were of especial interest.

The sudden appearance of Jade Dragon came as something of a shock to Dexter, who had somehow neither anticipated or detected her presence up until now. It made sense of course when he thought about it, as she was a senior member in their organization and, given the nature of their evidence, a prime suspect in this trial. Before he could speculate any further however, the reports had been concluded and the Trial had resumed, this time with the Praetor herself, Yacatecuhtli, called forth to present her argument before the Court.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:58 am

Geyser nods in deference to Ulrich, realizing who he's addressing. "Yes, Father. I want to think I would have done the same."

More dolphin tittering from Geyser's avatar, when the others, closer in age, barely respond. /You're killing it today, tiger./
I'll kill *you*, buddy.
It laughs again.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:16 am

Yacatecuhtli walks with dignified intensity, her eyes now smoldering rather than their blazing intensity the last time you viewed her. She moves to the base of the dais, and turns to the crowd. With the Primus of the Council standing above and behind her, it creates the visual association that she is backed by the most powerful man in the city. "This evening at the Belmont Manor, a physical assault was perpetrated by Hash of the Virtual Adepts, leader of the Unifiers." Unlike most everyone who has said the cabal's name previously, hers is not full of contempt. Whether or not she is simply being fully professional or she does not carry the prejudices of her peers, is unknown. "All in the Manor were invited by myself under the Laws of Hospitality. With no provocation, he violently laid hands on Yossarian of the Order of Hermes in the eyes of many witnesses." A flash of her previous anger makes its way into her visage, but she keeps it under control. No fire falcon manifesting on her arm this time. "Cool heads and Seconds intervened as they should, and the challenge of Certámen was delayed to be heard before the full Council."

Master Robertson nods in acknowledgment, then gestures to Hash. "The accusation is made. No life was taken nor truly threatened, but violations of the Law are serious, young man. How do you plead before your peers?"

Hash is white as pure snow, his eyes dazed and hands shaking but he manages to stand straight and speak clearly. "Honored Master, I was provoked into the actions by direct and indirect methods by Apprentice Yossarian. I acknowledge my wrong-doing and will accept whatever judgment my equals and yourself deem to be wise and fair. I ... I only ask that you consider the extenuating circumstances." There are quiet whispers from the other tables. All in your group notice everyone keeping their gazes upon Hash, but Dexter can tell that a number of them look upon him with pity and compassion rather than contempt. A noticeable number are also nodding with respect, the appearance of dignity and acceptance of responsibility raising their opinion of the pariah.

Master Robertson waves them both to opposite sides of the low stage, waiting patiently for the whispering to die down on its own. "Well said, Unifier." Rather than his presentation voice, it is said gently and kindly. Returning to his formal tone, he continues. "A counter claim of instigation has been put forth by the accused. The Laws bind us, but blind obedience can be used against the lawful. Abuse of the Laws to get gain must not be tolerated, and if true would lead to punishment more severe than the violation of the Law itself." His piercing gaze sweeps the room, yet each of you feel those eyes personally boring into your heart as though you were the only person present, reminding you of all your wrongdoings.

"Let the instigator be questioned. Step forth ... Jade Dragon!" A half-second of pure silence fills the room before everyone's mind can grapple with this surprise. The woman reels back, then rebounds and starts forward with an indignant air. Before she can formulate a response, the Primus continues. "An investigation by agents of the Council has found evidence that you manipulated Yossarian into believing that Hash was a danger to us all, and must be exiled or slain. You also used mental manipulation to erase the memories of those who might have suspected, specifically Kenneth Wells of the Dreamspeakers. Young magi are vulnerable to such violations, which you are well aware! For that alone I would have your avatar Branded, but your crimes are much worse than that." He leaves unsaid what greater punishments might be meted out.

The silence in the room is thunderous. Even Jade Dragon has frozen in place, at a loss for words.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:26 pm

Pixel fidgets as she listens to everything, unable to contain her nervousness. Now an additional uncomfortable thought occurs to her. She starts to lean towards Dexter to whisper to him, but then thinks better of it, fearing she might be overheard. She then starts to reach for her cell phone and again thinks better of it, fearing she would look rude. So she keeps the thought to herself for the moment: What if Jade Dragon decides she wants revenge on those who exposed her?

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Most everyone is still as stone, although in this tense atmosphere Doctor Electrik is shaking visibly and weaving in his seat, apparently on the cusp of fainting. Hash has gained some color back in his cheeks, and is looking at Master Robertson with open awe. Yacatecuhtli looks skeptical, her eyes alternating between looking at Hash and Jade Dragon.

The latter regains a modicum of her composure, and manages a response. "I challenge the findings of these unnamed Agents of the Council, Primus. I deny having used the Art to brainwash any of the Awakened, let alone using such magic to violate the memories of any man." She gestures back to the table where the other members of the Utopians are sitting. "We work for the betterment of all, to redeem this fallen world. Violation of the self? Conspiracies? Murder? That goes against everything we, and I, stand for."

Master Robertson calmly listens to the denial, no reaction evident as it goes on. "Are you willing to stand for a public examination of your innocence in front of all assembled, of your own free will?" She hesitates, then grimly nods. "So be it." He gestures towards Sparrow to come forward, as he reaches for something inside the dais.

The head of security looks at Jade Dragon as though she were a live bomb, stopping to stand behind and to the left of her, his body tense to strike without hesitation should betrayal be even hinted at. Master Robertson pulls out a long and narrow ornate box, and walks to the middle of the floor where the Accused is standing. He opens up the container and inside is a Rod. It is smooth, ivory-white, a foot long and wrist-thick with odd, cursive script carved on one flat end. He gravely lifts it and places it, cursive script end first, in the hand of Jade Dragon. It begins glowing with a gentle white light. "This Artifact was one of the few surviving relics from the Library of Alexandria, recovered in the realms of the fae by the Explorers. One of its wondrous properties is the inability to speak lies when holding it." He sternly looks Jade Dragon in the eyes. "Did you erase memories from Kenneth Wells? Did you conspire to exile or slay Hash of the Unifiers?"

The accused attempts to speak, then coughs and frowns. She tries again, urgent alarm showing on her features but no sound is emitted from her mouth. The Rod's light intensifies at a rapid rate, quickly becoming difficult to look at. Master Robertson recoils, exclaiming that this is impossible!

Jade Dragon begins bleeding from her eyes and mouth as the mysterious struggles mounts, managing to weakly say "I don't know", before fainting to the ground. The Rod rolls away, smoke curling from the previously held end.

The Primus rushes to her side, kneeling by her head. "All those versed in the mysteries of Ars Mentis, you are needed. Come forth immediately."
Ars Mentis is the old latin term for the Mind Sphere. I believe that Pixel and perhaps Ray are skilled in that area?
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:08 pm

Geyser gawks at Jade Dragon when she agrees to Robertson's imperative query, and at Yacatecuhtli - briefly. The accusers had no solid evidence, he thought. Jade Dragon could have refused, but she submitted. It puzzled him. The "Certamen" seems inherently wrapped in politics. Could the accused not afford to back down from the challenge?

His jaw drops when the artifact starts to glow, until he squints painfully to keep observing, looking between Jade Dragon and Sparrow, wondering if this apparent revelation of guilt would lead to a confrontation, like in the movies. He relaxes when Jade Dragon starts to crumple, though no less continuing to gape at the blood starting to trickle down her face, and wonders if the other "wondrous properties" are as dangerous as this.

He's so absorbed in what's going on, that he doesn't do anything useful until the Primus asks for Mind mages to help. He brings his herbal pouch up to his face, takes another deep whiff, and reaches out with his senses for a non-vulgar spirit spell, to do two things:

1) to observe the Aura of Jade Dragon, and the Primus
2) to monitor for spiritual activity: images and sounds.
Life 3, Spirit 3, Matter 1. Not the Mind Sphere, but I might be able to stop the bleeding. First I'm going to scan auras and monitor for spirits. Maybe after that, depending on what I get, I'll offer to heal Jade Dragon. What I'm doing right now should only require Spirit 1. Unless doing it all at once, which is the intention, pushes the requirements up higher.

I'd better add my character profile to the ooc thread soon, mb

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Pixel rises shakily from her seat, shock plain in her face. What the hell just happened?, she wondered. "I ... I, um, have some skill in mind hacking, if you want want my help. But ... but does anyone know what just happened?" She shakes her head. "I guess that's what we need to figure out."

She kneels down next to Jade Dragon, looking to see if any of the other mages join her. She can't be the only one here skilled in mind hacking and there are probably those better at it than her.

Still, she pulls down her VR goggles and takes out her phone, doing a scan of Jade Dragon's brain waves, trying to piece together what happened.
Mind 3, Arete 3, Spend a Will Power point for an auto-success

Karstil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Karstil » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:24 pm

Ulrich watches the scene unfold, at the beginning he was fascinated by the way Master Robertson handles the delicate issue with the circumstances of the investigation, Investigation by agents of the Council, nice phrasing to get us off the hook. he thinks to himself.

Then the whole thing gets out of hand, as Jade Dragon is given the Truth-Rod. He watches her face and sees the alarm in it, and shortly before the light let him no longer see, he believes to see pure fear or panic in her eyes. NO!, was she too...? in shock, he stands up.
Ulrich hears Pixel beside him, mouthing some of the questions he has too. As she walks by him to get to Jade Dragon, he squeezes her shoulder supportive, and speaks: "Just concentrate on helping her. The why and how we will catch later. but don't forget that there is the possibility of an other Mindcurse, or Mindhack as you call it, on her."
Then he opens his senses to the magical world, with his old payer: "Domine, ostende mihi quod postulo video" he looks at Jade Dragon and the artifact if there are still magical energies to see.
Use Prime and Energie to scan the artifact and Jade Dragon

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 am

The room erupts in activity. Multiple Magi run forward at the command of Master Robertson. Rods of power are pulled out, prayer beads jingling, incense burning, visors powering, every Foci possible being brought online. The Sleepwalkers pull the tables and chairs towards the perimeter of the room, opening up the space for whatever is happening.

Jade Dragon's seizing worsens as the gathering continues. The Primus traces Enochian symbols in the air, the runes forming in fire before gathering in a halo above Jade Dragon's head. She floats up a few feet in the air, her body no longing striking the ground with each seizure.

Ulrich the Priest prays to his deity, calling upon divine power to see what is hidden. He is momentarily blinded by the power emanating both from the center of the room and Jade Dragon, and impossible amount of raw power pouring forth from the afflicted. As his mind's eye adjusts he can just make out the Oath Rod laying on the floor. Its light is intense but oddly comforting, the true Artifact a point of constancy in a world driven mad. But even its purity is fractured and marred by whatever blackened it.

Geyser draws the incense deep into his body and soul, the scent focusing his spiritual vision into the supernal realms, so that he might See. He himself participated in the Warding of the Convocation, strengthening the Gauntlet between the mortal realm and the Umbra. Along the perimeter he finds what he expects, his security measures in place. But in the center of the room, surrounding Jade Dragon, the Gauntlet is as thin as though it were his personal Sanctum and he were attempting to cross over into the spirit realm. He vaguely feels what he thinks is a Presence, but with all the souls present he can't pick out what it might be from the crowd.

Pixel attempts to use her virtual reality goggles to visualize the scans her trinary phone is picking up. Her skill takes her far, but cannot break through the strength of the mind of Jade Dragon keeping out intruders. But the strength of her convictions drives her scans through the barrier into the pain within. Patterns of thought and behavior within most minds are like well-worn trails in hard dirt, constantly trodden upon. New paths may be trailblazed or flooded out with enough effort. But the mind laid out before Pixel is paved in concrete and steel, its foundations sure and strong, driven deep beyond the ability of unwilling alteration. ... but despite this, contrary to her own training and experiences, signs of detours, roadblocks, and sign changes can be found. If she hadn't been looking for it, she would never have noticed. As she searches deeper, she can dimly hear warning cries in the back of her mind, a lilting elven voice yelling from the distance.

Rather than reaching for his trusty Tarot cards, as he usually uses to read the skeins of possible futures and fates, Dexter presses his coral shell bracelet tightly against his forehead with intense concentration. He almost falls with vertigo, his sense of temporal events twisted and chaotic. Cause and effect warp, standing before standing up, sound before speaking, causality confused beyond recognition.

No one else seems to feel the vertigo that is afflicting Dexter, as practitioners of Ars Mentis gather around Master Robertson. They invoke their abilities in their various ways, and their power can be felt gathered to himself by the Primus, their power augmenting his.
Ulrich: Prime Scan (TN 4): 3,4,5 = 2 Successes.
--- Oath Rod: It absolutes glows with imbued Power. It isn't just a manufactured talisman powered by dallops of quintessence, it is a true Artifact. With your skills, you couldn't adversely affect it if you tried. Despite that, its aura is damaged more deeply than the black scorching would indicate. Cracks can be seen all through its arcane structure.
--- Jade Dragon: A ridiculous amount of power is emanating from her, far more than you would expect a mortal to contain.
--- Area: These is a large glow of power centered around where Jade Dragon and the others are gathering, more than just their personal powers near each other.

Geyser: Spirit Scan (TN 4): 3,9,9 = 2 Successes.
--- Gauntlet: Unnaturally Thin (Rating 3, as though a Node). Should be very Thick from the Warding earlier (minimum 7).
--- Presence: An impression of some sort of Being is felt. With 2 Successes, you can't get a good image of what it might really be.

Pixel: Mind Scan - Deep (TN 7): 5,7,9 + WP Point = 3 Successes.
--- Jade Dragon: Descriptive text in Post. Whatever has been altered ... really shouldn't be possible against a leader within the Akashic Brotherhood. They aren't known as the Masters of Mind for nothing.

Dexter: Doing a Time Scan for him (TN 4): 2,6,7 + WP = 3 Successes.
--- Time is going freaking wild in the Room. You've never seen anything like it.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 05, 2020 5:32 pm

Pixel jerks herself out of Jade Dragon's mind, doing so forcefully, she falls back onto her butt. She pulls up her VR goggles and calls out, "Something is very wrong in there! Someone--maybe something--has altered Jade Dragon's mind! She's got such strength of mind that is should be nearly impossible but something or someone had done it."

Remembering the elven voice in her head, Pixel hastily calls up Glimmer on her phone. "Glimmer, did you get a look at that too? Do you have any idea what might have happened to Jade Dragon?"
Familiar 3