Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Re: Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Post by Hermit » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Muskrat wrote:Pixel says to Dexter, "Well, I think we've pretty much confirmed Jade Dragon's involvement, though we still don't know the why of it. But I wonder if Jade Dragon is involved voluntarily--the black rage Phoenix describes ... I wonder if she is possessed or something?"
Dexter, who had since slumped against a wall after reluctantly withdrawing from the room at Ken's behest, idly spun his cane in place, eyes staring pensively at the glimmering metal handle. Pixel's inquiry broke him out of whatever daze he was in, lifting his head up to indicate his undivided attention. "Maybe," he concurred with a half-shrug. "Certainly wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility. Unless we actually meet her in person, it's all speculation, and given our current track record, I'm not exactly looking forward to any further encounters with any other member of the Council at the moment." He says with a derisive snort to punctuate his thoughts on the matter.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:48 pm

Pixel nods glumly. "Yes, and I'm out of ideas." She stares at the ceiling and says, "You, uh, said all your Tarot readings of the situation came out badly. Maybe we need to take the bull by the horns and charge into the lion's den. Um, ah"--Pixel becomes momentarily flustered as she realizes how badly she is mixing metaphors--"that is, maybe we won't be able to find anything out until we confront Jade Dragon herself. We'd want to do it very publicly and already have evidence that she's been doing ... something shady. We could use my recording of Ken's experience, but not of the servant, since I kinda slipped into his mind deeper than I should have."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Muskrat wrote:Pixel nods glumly. "Yes, and I'm out of ideas." She stares at the ceiling and says, "You, uh, said all your Tarot readings of the situation came out badly. Maybe we need to take the bull by the horns and charge into the lion's den. Um, ah"--Pixel becomes momentarily flustered as she realizes how badly she is mixing metaphors--"that is, maybe we won't be able to find anything out until we confront Jade Dragon herself. We'd want to do it very publicly and already have evidence that she's been doing ... something shady. We could use my recording of Ken's experience, but not of the servant, since I kinda slipped into his mind deeper than I should have."
Brandishing the Devil, Tower, and Moon Arcana, Dexter laid the three cards out on the floor for the Adept to scrutinize. "Just the one reading, but I sincerely doubt a second reading would render a drastically different outcome. In any case, we could certainly do all of the things you've suggested, but at this point would it suffice, let alone matter?"

Sweeping the cards up in a flourish before rising with the cane to assist him, the Orphan continued. "I'm not saying we shouldn't do any of those things, far from it. I'm just... I dunno, bracing myself for the worst. Aside from Quinton who seems to be the only one giving something resembling a damn, is the testimony and evidence of an outsider," he said whilst gesturing with his thumb towards himself and then waved in the general direction of Pixel, "and a bunch of initiates really enough to clear the name of a guy that just about everybody dislikes anyway? And that's not even taking into account one of the higher-ups having practically staged this whole situation going down. Who's to say the others like Yaca or Sparrow aren't in on this as well?"

Thumping his cane against the floor, Dexter let out a frustrated sigh. "Sorry. I realize I'm not exactly painting a pretty picture here. Like you said, we should at least try to see this through to the end, just... let's be prepared for whatever follows, whether good, bad, or in between."
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Pixel nods glumly and stares at the Tarot cards. "I, ah, feel like, ah, we're in over our heads." She sighs and says, "Maybe there is really nothing more to do. We should check with Hash to see if he's okay with it, but our best option might be to talk to Quinton and lay out our suspicions. And hope he actually cares, because otherwise we could get in a world of trouble." She shrugs. "Wouldn't be the first time I've got into trouble with the authorities, though it's always been the cops in the past, not someone who could turn you into a newt. But I'm, uh, not sure we can do much more to help Hash. Our, ah, best bet may be if Quinton does actually care." She frowns and says, "I hate having to go with our tail between our legs to the authorities for help, but I'm not seeing any other route that isn't even more stupid and dangerous."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Apart from a quirked brow at Pixel's admission of prior entanglements with the police, Dexter remained silent. It was irrelevant to the matter at hand and if he wanted the Adept to expound upon that part of her past, there would be ample time for it in the future.

The Orphan proceeded towards door leading into the room containing Ken, Phoenix, and the foreign preacher whose name currently eluded his recollection. "Then let's waste no more time. Perhaps we can wrap this up with some measure of grace and aplomb yet," remarked Dexter with a wry look before politely wrapping his cane against the door. "Almost done in there?" he inquired loudly enough for the occupants within to hear, "I think we've decided on what our next move is going to be."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:53 pm

Ken opens the door to Dexter. "Not sure we're going to learn anything more here. Something is wrong inside, and he has no further explanation to give." He pats Phoenix's shoulder in an empathetic motion. "I'm more used to dealing with fatherly duties and family drama, not situations like this. If you've got a next move, I trust it's a well thought out one." The often silent germanic preacher, with the name of Ulrich, nods in agreement. A man of few words.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Pixel peers with worry at Phoenix, "Should we, ah, ask someone to come see to him? If there's really something wrong with him, we can't just leave him like that ..." She supposes that Quenton might also be the person to talk to about getting help for Phoenix, should he need it.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:57 am

ManWithDoor wrote:Ken opens the door to Dexter. "Not sure we're going to learn anything more here. Something is wrong inside, and he has no further explanation to give." He pats Phoenix's shoulder in an empathetic motion. "I'm more used to dealing with fatherly duties and family drama, not situations like this. If you've got a next move, I trust it's a well thought out one."
"It's not the most ideal one to be sure," said Dexter gloomily, "but given the circumstances, it might be the only one left that doesn't land us in deeper shit." I hope, he tacked on as an afterthought. Sharing a look with Pixel and allowing the Adept to inquire about what should be done with Phoenix, the Orphan composed his thoughts before elucidating on their next step. "As much as it pains me to say this, I don't think there's much else we can do to aid in proving Hash's innocence. While there's reasonable suspicion, if not outright probable cause to believe that a senior member of the Council had a hand in the defamation of Hash, I doubt the evidence we've gathered would be sufficient enough to convince the other members to cancel the certámen."

Heaving a despondent sigh, Dexter continued. "Which is why Pixel and I believe that the most prudent course of action at this point is to report our findings to Quinton and hope for the best." He looked over to Ken and Ulrich. "Unless you have any objections to this plan, I suggest we proceed without any further delay."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:46 am

Ulrich looks hesitant, but nods. In his heavily accented English, he does add in some commentary. "Quinton seems vertrauenswürdig ... um, worthy of trust. Trustworthy? Yes." He hasn't spoken up in some time, and has to get back in the swing of things. "But we know he was hiding something. Smart for him to do so? Ich weiß es nicht. My Sight saw him actively using magic."

At this point Ken pipes up as well. "Yes, and didn't Jon say that he thought there was some sort of illusion going on, something about the chi of his body being in one place, while he eyes saw another?" He makes a dismissive motion with one hand. "Regardless, it seems to be the best move. If we're going to share our findings with someone, he at least seemed to be trying to push us in a peaceful direction, rather than pushing for a violent duel. I say go for it."
Ich weiß es nicht = I don't know.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:26 pm

Pixel sighs, "Or, um, this could be one of the paths leading to the, ah, disaster you saw in your cards. I guess we'll know how bad it is soon enough." She starts to leave, then turns back and says, "Ah, Ken or Ulrich, could one of you stay with Phoenix for now. If he suddenly gets worse, it would, ah, be good if someone were around to go for help." She resumes leaving and says, "Let's go see if we can find Quinton."