Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:47 am

Quinton's image settles down, as he appears to have gotten over his shock. Witnessing the memory manipulation doesn't seem to faze him further, and his eyes narrow in consideration. "Fishy, certainly. Some mystical connection between Phoenix and Jade Dragon has crippled him. I will accept your word on that, as I have no reason to doubt you. And Jade Dragon clearly didn't want Ken to remember their meeting." He turns that sharp gaze on Pixel. "But nothing so far here connects back to the real issue at hand. You claimed that you have reasonable suspicion to believe the Jade Dragon may have arranged the problem between Hash and the young Yossarian. What have you seen that makes you think that?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:05 am

Dexter raised his hand like a student in class with a question for the teacher, waiting until he's certain that he had grabbed the two's attention. "Before she answers that question, I have one of my own. As you're probably well aware I'm not a member of the Traditions, but Pixel is. Having had the chance to see the laws that the Council operates under in action this evening, does she run the risk of facing some form of punishment or harsh censure depending on the nature of the methods she employed to further the investigation we've been tasked with?"

The Orphan's tone was even and measured, yet the occasional glances he sent in the direction of the Adept clearly conveyed his underlying unease over the pointed inquiry directed towards his fellow investigator.
Last edited by Hermit on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Pixel momentarily freezes up and is grateful for Dexter's intervention. She had been completely flummoxed--she should have been prepared for Quinton's question and she wasn't. Now, at least she might be able to put together an acceptable answer--though Dexter's question already implied she had done something wrong. But she could hardly be mad at him, since he had rescued her from sitting there with her mouth hanging open, looking as idiotic as a dead fish.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Pixel's face would be precious, if the situation were not so deadly serious. This had been a question that all had been concerned about from the beginning, but by Pixel herself as well. Even in civil law there are protections for privacy, criminalizing unauthorized access to personal information - letters, e-mails, protected health information, all sorts of things. Adding magic into the mix would likely make things even more complicated. You don't need to physically break in to be a Peeping Tom if you can just scry with Correspondence. And rather than questioning someone or digging through their records, why not just lift memories straight out of the head using Mind manipulation? And as individualistic as Magi tend to be, and the inconsistent centralization of power in the Council, justice tends to be a fluid thing.

Which leaves the party in a bit of a sticky situation. Quinton looks pensively between the trio in front of him, lingering longest on Dexter. "It depends on how this is handled. Were it done in the spirit of an assault on their privacy asa person, often a Certamen challenge would come up, almost for certain. At least among general equals. But the Council could censure, brand, banish, all sorts of things - if all the locals unite against the offender. And the ultimate punishment - Gilgul - for only the most heinous acts." He pauses there, his nose crinkling as though smelling something unpleasant.

He then looks pointedly at Pixel. "But this was clearly done in the spirit of an investigation into someone deliberating using the Laws as a weapon against another. In such cases ... cautious and spare usage of such Arts are reasonable. Otherwise offenders could flagrantly disregard our Laws, safe in the assurance that they are safe from competent investigation, and strong retribution. So no, in this circumstance, and assuming she did not perform similar crimes of memory manipulation herself, there will be no retribution. I can promise you that." He speaks with conviction and confidence, no doubt creeping into his voice.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:43 pm

"Ah, okay then," says Pixel, trying to collect her wits, now upset again, this time by the unexpected feeling of relief at Quinton's words, though her earlier sense of trepidation was still present--and she couldn't help but wonder how effectively Quinton might be able to protect. She closes her eyes and takes several deep meditative breath to calm her, then opens then and said, "Well, we started the natural starting point of our investigation was to question Yossarian, to see if there was anything to our initial suspicions that something funny was going on. While we did that, I read his brainwaves. I was only intending to see if he was being honest with us or hiding something. I, uh, ended up going a but deeper than I initially intended though and it, ah, became clear that Jade Dragon had asked him to set Hash up." She stops, biting her lip to see how Quinton takes this, while the thought, I am so fucked played repeatedly in her head.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Quinton's face crinkles with what is clearly a bitter smile, as the final piece clicks into place. "Ah. Now there it is." He lets out a deep sigh, and rubs his knees to warm them up. "Evidence of conspiracy, with the agents known, and the plan acted upon. Can't get much guiltier than that. But why Jade Dragon ..." He mumbles further, clearly having trouble really coming to grips with who was behind such a thing.

After a minute he pulls himself together, continuing the conversation. "The first course of action is clearly to delay this manipulated Duel until after the Council Meeting tonight. The confrontation will happen there, and once everything comes to light we will be able to dismiss it outright."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:49 pm

"So ..." says Pixel anxiously. "Will we be expected to testify before this Council ...?"

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:53 am

Quinton taps the tip of a finger against his lips, his eyes narrowing in consideration. "Let us have that as a backup, if things go that far. I plan on confronting her at the Council, laying out the accusations. I am hoping to precipitate an admission. I would rather the means of your information gathering remain unrevealed." The tapping stops, and he nods to himself. "Yes, definitely that. I see no need to create reasons for others to act defensively around Pixel. She did the right thing. Many will see the sense of things, others would worry that their own privacy and security is in doubt among allies. I wish to avoid that if at all possible."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Pixel breaths a sigh of relief--though she doesn't think she did the right thing in tapping so deeply Yossarian's thoughts. But she doesn't want to get caught up in the disciplinary procedures of the Council either, which she rather doubts are based on principles of restorative justice. "Thank you," she says to Quinton.
We're trying to make room to introduce another PC to the game, aren't we? I'm ready to move forward to an appropriate point to do that.

Karstil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Karstil » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:42 am

Meanwhile, in another room:
As the others are gone, changes Ulrich his approach. He flicks his right-hand, and gathers the rest of the Oil and magic on his fingertips. "Lord, please protect your loyal servant" and with the oil he draws a cross on his forehead.
protection from energie
Ulrich takes a seat directly opposite to Phoenix. "Now we need to talk." a slight sad grin creeps on Ulrichs face, "More accurate: you listen and I speak. I don't know if one or both of you can hear me, but if, you should think about what I will tell you now" he speaks insistently. "At this moment my colleagues talk with Yaca's Second, and after your show here there's no doubt about your involvement with the incident. I even understand your thinking behind this action. I mean, Hash IS a dangerous man. I don't understand your medeling with Kens mind, and at least, he deserves an explanation and maybe an excuse. But back to Hash. Whatever your reasoning and plan was, it's over or better: it will be over. It's your choice how it ends. If you go to the Council, now, and confess, it will not be an inquiry and exposing."

Ulrich stops for a short moment to give his listeners time to absorb what he just said, before he continues: "If you still think about proceeding with the Plan, I can guarantee you, that if you got your will and there is a Certamen, there will be a second one where Phonix will meet Yaca until one of them is dead. Because he attacked Ken with hurtful magic and deadly intent. And for that there is hard proof!"
Yes, it's me. I'd like too be back, this time with more commitment, if that's ok with all of you?