Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:26 am

"The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. there are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning." - The Wheel of Time, Robert Jordan

"The Wheel of Time weaves the Patterns of the Ages, and the threads it uses are lives," wrote a famous storyteller. But what Pattern has been wrought? How much control does a man have over his own life? Does the story write the man, or does the man write the story? A normal man might grapple with it, but a Magi knows better. They are Workers of Will, making change and destiny manifest by their own Choice. But is it hubris, or true control? Does an experience of mortal peril change a man? Or does the man decide how he will change, if at all? Does the strain of evident mortality drive friends apart, or bind them together? What new associations might form, changing Destinies forever?

Jon wakes up in unfamiliar surroundings, his body and mind recovering from something. For just a moment he lays there in confusion and weakness, before his memory kicks in and reminds him he is safe. It is simply morning, and he is safely in Pixel's apartment, recovering. Well, for certain definitions of safety. He's pretty sure if he took more than one unsteady step, he may get tangled in computer wires and never escape. Not that Pixel would let that happen. The young woman that he barely met once before had his back in a fight, whisked him magically to safety, provided him sanctuary without even asking, and kept her cool in getting him help. And not for a debt, not even for a friendship. Simply because that's the kind of person she is. He hears her come back into the room with a fresh pot of the special tea, to help get him back on his feet.

The next day Dexter and June meet up, not even needing to send a message that each wants to do so. Dexter's apartment seems reasonable, so they sit around his table with their drinks of choice in front of them. In the beginning silence reigns, each holding their feelings close. Some nondescript tune plays in the background, trying to fill the silence, but making the emptiness even more poignant. Eventually one of the friends decides to talk first, to put a voice to their thoughts on what has just transpired for them.
Welcome everyone to Chapter 1! What I'm trying to build here is effectively a Literary Montage.
(Best Explanation of a Montage Ever! = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I_5Bw1U4s4)

So what I'm looking for here isn't every word you say, just high levels feelings & actions, more creating the feel of the scene rather than filling in every detail. I'm going to try to move from Scene to Scene with a maximum of 2 Posts from each person present, then Boom! New Scene. Maybe the last Scenes that will be bringing us up to the Present will go a little longer, basically doing a Fade In into Current Events. I've never tried to do this with a group before, but I'm rather enamored of the idea. Rather than me Narrating fully exactly what happens, you have some Buy-In on how everything went.

@Hayabusa & @Hermit - You're buddies, so I thought it would be natural for you two to wonder at what the hell just went on, and decompress. @Muskrat & @Trogdor - well, Jon's literally passed out in Pixel's apartment. Makes sense that you might, you know, want to say something. Apologies to @Karstil - you're the lone wolf for the first post. Very sad. You'll definitely be pulled into the rotation pretty much immediately.

I've got ideas for maybe a half-dozen Scenes bringing us up to the Present, but if you want to propose one yourself (ex. June wants Ulrich to meet her Mentor, to get his opinion on the mystery man, or Pixel tries to be social and invites everyone over for a somewhat disastrous House Party), then please do! Much better for you to be guiding your own contained Stories, as you go from somewhat total strangers to at least a working association / budding friendship.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Pixel brings in the tea, "Ah, you're awake. That's good. How are you feeling?" She finds herself wondering how long it will be before Jon is well enough to leave. She won't urge him to do so, but it is a bit awkward having a stranger recuperating in your apartment. "I hope you don't mind if I check the news." Several computer screens come to life, with different news websites on each, all of which Pixel begins looking back and forth between, apparently trying to take in the entire glut of information at once.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:07 pm

After a few moments of silence that makes June feel a bit uncomfortable, she takes a final sip from her soda. "So this yesterday was just crazy, right?" The stage magician begins with a grin, the coaster in one hand, the glass in the other. "And honestly, I have no real idea about everything that happened there but it was amazing! I am sorry for those that got hurt still and hope none is seriously injured." That stage magician looks a bit more solemn for a moment as she flips the coaster over from the back of her hand to her palm and as it returns it is merely a plain playing card. "Still, I am curious what it was that we encountered there and what we can do to fight it better. Will we find enough in books though?"
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:51 pm

In stark contrast to the upbeat disposition radiating from June, Dexter sat quietly across the table from her, in front of him a mug of french pressed coffee long since cooled and virtually untouched. His eyes were downcast, a slightly glazed look fixated on folded hands that quivered every so often. The adrenaline that fuelled him had fled long ago, and in its place Dexter found himself struggling between feelings of both disbelief and horror. Disbelief over the events that transpired earlier at the festival, the icy shade that manifested and began sowing terror, surprised by his own almost instinctual urge to intercede and confront such a ghastly apparition and emerge victorious no less.

The half-romani should've felt some measure of pride in accomplishing such a feat. This was something that he'd long dreamed of doing with his abilities both physical and magickal. To help others in need of help, right? That's what Dexter internally tried telling himself when he went through the process of preparing his coffee. Instead he felt icy thrills across his spine completely unrelated to the frozen phantom's command over the powers of winter and an ill churning in his stomach.

Though seemingly oblivious, Dexter had in fact been listening closely to his friend's somewhat cheery dialogue. When a lull in the dialogue presented itself, the magi finally looked up from his hands and fixed June with a hard look in his smoky green eyes. "I don't know what version of what went down last night you perceived, but I can't help but notice that you seem to be either completely oblivious to or intentionally ignoring the very real fact that at any point that-that any one of us could have DIED."

Dexter's hand reached up to run his fingers over the laceration he'd received earlier at the hands of the eerie phantasm. The young man had shed his blood stained yukata in order to clean and dress the wound properly before donning a simple white t-shirt and grey sweat pants.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:52 pm

"Better," Jon replies. "What Phoenix did really helped. Though I don't think I'd want to be running any marathons anytime soon." He smiles. "I seem to be back to the point where my own talents in Life magic should be able to accelerate the healing process." Jon sips the tea and nods to Pixel to watch her news.

"I"m sorry to be a burden on you," he adds. I should be able to get up soon and catch an Uber back to my apartment. This afternoon, if you'd like. I don't want to impose too much. You've been far too generous with your hospitality as it is."

"I'd also like to thank the others who were at the festival. Do you know any of them or was it all just a chance meeting?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Pixel is momentarily distracted by the news, then focuses on Jon's words. "Ah, well, yeah, if you're up to it, this afternoon's fine. I mean, don't leave before you're ready, but I guess there's no real danger now that we defeated the snow woman, is there?" She scratches her head, thinking for a moment, "I just met them by chance, but we have a common acquaintance, Eric White--he's one of us, well sort of. He can program reality, but he's not in one of the Traditions--he's an Orphan. But I could get in touch with him. Or ..." She switches away from the news, plugging her phone into her computer, then calling up several programs filled with very arcane looking symbols "... I could just find them myself." She begins searching for Dexter and June based on the data her phone recorded on them during their encounter.
I'm assuming making a Data roll to get their cell phone numbers and e-mail addresses would be easy as pie. Easier in Pixel's case, since she's probably not that good a cook. :D

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:56 pm

For just a moment, June looks to the side towards an empty chair. While her hands do not keep still she thinks about her reply. Of course Dexter is not wrong. It was dangerous indeed. Staring from the vacant space to the man she merely sighs. "I might be ignoring it. Perhaps I am oblivious. And sure, you're right. We could've died. Others could have died and some have been hurt. I myself feel like I fell down a flight of stairs inside a freezer and slept wrapped up in a blankt next to a heater. But we did not die. No one did and that's a great thing, even if it is scary and something we could not imagine to encounter. Even this one priestly man joined the fray. I'd say it was very surprising. Don't you?"

The coaster is back in her hand and softly put back on the table, the glass on top after another sip. "So I want to know what it was and why it showed up and what we can do if we see it again. Or something like it. Which is why I'd like to know what you want to do now because I'd like to do some research but don't think I can do all of that alone."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:54 pm

"Here we go," says Pixel. "Give me your phone number or e-mail and I can give you their contact info. And here's some YouTube video of June doing stage magic." She watches with genuine interest. "Pretty clever."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:24 am

Dexter breathed deeply through his nose several times, each exhalation slowly draining him of whatever impulse that caused him to lash out vehemently against June earlier. Propping his elbows onto the table, Dexter leaned forward and buried his head into his hands, fingers tangling themselves in his disheveled hair. June's research proposal was perfectly reasonable of course, though she did not seem to account for the weariness that weighed heavily upon her companion's mind and body.

"...I suspect I might know whatever it was we saw that night." Almost reluctantly Dexter lifted his head up and sluggishly reached for his mug. Staring placidly into the black liquid, the half-romani eventually lifted the cup to his lips and proceeded to down the cold bitter brew in one go. Finished consuming the contents within his mug, Dexter idly placed the cup upon a worn coaster and shifted his attention once more directly toward June. "But I suspect we'll have answers to those questions soon enough without any effort on our end." The magi looked somberly out the window overlooking the sink of his kitchenette. "Stuff like that has a tendency of turning a lot of heads," said Dexter, certain that his friend was astute enough to catch onto the meaning behind his cryptic statement.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:03 am

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born. -Anaïs Nin

Multi-colored lights beam across the stage, illuminating June. She flashes her electrifying style, and with hasty musical accompaniment, begins her Show. She is a master at sleight of hand, and tonight's spectacle is a seemingly infinite card trick. She moves in starts and stops, then flows from move to move. Her entire face, body, and hands move in performance art, punctuated by illusions that cause the mind to sputter. It is playful, full of joy and wonder. And for a select few in the audience, they can tell there is no Magic involved. She is simply that good. After the show, June gathers the group backstage. There are various drinks lying around, and the various helpers make themselves scarce. Muffled noise can still be heard from the club continuing their music and dancing. After Pixel hunted down the contact information for everyone, June provided a location and time. And, honestly, an ice breaker. She looks a little wild-eyed and out of breath, but exuberant all the same.
Welcome to your first sit-down meeting! The first time most of you have spoken more than a couple sentences to each other. @Karstil - you're officially in-scene! Sorry you didn't get teamed up in the first round. Thank you for your patience.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."