Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed May 06, 2020 12:47 am

The young athlete turns white as a sheet. "I feel it," he responds to Pixel, while he narrows on the convulsing, levitating Jade Dragon. He stammers silently before continuing and calling out to Sparrow, "I don't know what it is, but the Gauntlet is Thin as closed curtains on an open window, right where she is. Is she possessed?"

Unable to ignore her seisure and bleeding eyes, he starts to focus again, and this time reaches out to make contact and channel healing. He might be able to help more with Spirit stuff, but Jade's physical wellbeing concerns him in the spur of the moment.
Two things: heal, and soak/dull pain (physiological). I will start channeling (duration) if necessary. If it expects too much from me, I'll just stop and focus on one or neither. If Jade Dragon's pain/damage is cinematic, no need for the rolls, but story-wise, he's going to try.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu May 14, 2020 8:32 pm

The miniature elven form of Glimmer gleams clearly through Pixel's phone, illuminating her face in a powerful blue glow. Tears of relief flow down her digital cheeks as Pixel looks upon her instead of the mind of the afflicted. "Pixel! It's all going wrong, you're in grave danger." Her code structure pulses and twists, simultaneously communicating her wish to be able to hug her mortal friend, as well as to flee to save herself. "The Umbra is buckling under the weight of something that hurts it. I ... I don't think maliciously, but even the other dimensions struggle to hold with whatever is there. It is ... commanding." The Familiar connects with the mind of Pixel through her electronic tools, her vision being shifted elsewhere.

The otherworldly dimension co-existing alongside mortal reality carries the shadow of the 'real world' upon it. Ethereal buildings fill her vision as far as she can see, some shining with brightness and hope, others dripping with ichor and pain, and many many others that are barely there, a blank existence that barely has meaning or substance. And even though she is a stranger in this reality, unfamiliar with its standards, the perception of her Guide makes her aware of a controlling Presence towering above her. It is unseen but present, and she knows that it is Aware of her. She feels authority and anger radiating from it, not general, but directed straight towards her. Judgment and denunciation fill her mind, indignation at defying the will of someone in charge, as of a small child defying the orders of a domineering parent. Pixel tries to stand up to the angered attention of such a being, not even from any retributive action but simply its perceptive presence, but her mind fights against her will. Deep-seated anxieties and past traumas corrode her confidence from beneath, and she finds herself wilting and collapsing beneath It's gaze.

Geyser sniffs from his mystery pouch again, and begins guttural intonations while placing his hands upon the floating form of Jade Dragon. Blood is still streaming from her eyes and ears, her skin pale, her body thrashing with seizures. Suddenly all in the area smell the saltwater of the beach, the slight hint of decaying seaweed washed up on the shore, and can almost hear the gulls crying out in the air above. The Mage reaches deep within the tortured soul, and can instantly tell that the damage is far more serious than even the outside would indicate. Hairline cracks extend through all her large bones and her spastic muscles are tearing all over the place. But her nervous system feels like it is on fire, energy it was not build to handle inundating it. The Akashic healer extends the power of his Will through her mind and body, rebuilding the ruptured neurons, regenerating the support cells serving the nerves, and reconnecting broken connections. Her spasms begin to quiet, her eyes looking around in confusion rather than staring as though dead and blank.

Dexter and Ulrich ...
Pixel focuses on Glimmer (Familiar). Glimmer's ability roll: 5,8,9 = 3 Successes. Damn. Very useful Familiar you have there.
- PTSD triggered, Willpower Roll (TN 7): 1,1,3,5,5,6,6,8 = -1 Successes (Failure, but not a Botch). Pixel badly failed against her PTSD. I leave it to the Player's narrative creativity to determine exactly how that affects Pixel, and what that means for her next actions. Fear can cause all sorts of varying actions in people, so don't want to force one result upon the Character.

Geyser uses Life 3 to Heal (TN 6): 2,9,9 = 2 Successes.
- Heals 2 AGGRAVATED Damage. Good thing you have Life 3, couldn't have managed it otherwise.
- Aggravated Damage is beyond the normal Bashing/Lethal damage of normal fights. Particularly nasty mortal might could do this sort of damage that doesn't truly heal (intense fire/acid/radiation), but it is also a hallmark of the more destructive kinds of magic (direct Prime attacks, other supernatural threats like werewolf claws or fae magic, etc.). Serious stuff.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat May 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Geyser visibly grimaces as he learns how badly the her seizures are hurting her.

"Jesus. It's worse than it looks. We need healers in here. I'm doing well for my part, but her spasms are messing her up. Something--"

/Yeah? What's up, tiger?/ The question is casual, almost uncaring, like this is just a movie and his avatar brought popcorn.
Something really wants her dead.
/Obviously. That spirit must be mad as hell. Wanna tell the class?/
...No, I don't need to say it out loud.

Bubbles float up, and it speaks softer. /Yeah, better put a pin in that. Poor Jade Dragon.../

"Er, sorry about the smell." He decides to try and say something reassuring in his Cantonese.

Cantonese:
"Don't worry, Miss Jade Dragon. You'll be okay, we're gonna help you."
I hope I'm not posting out of turn. This is just flavor, mostly. Things are getting exciting!

Geyser's Chinese heritage is from Hong Kong, and after playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong, I figured I should take Cantonese since that's the language spoken throughout the story of the game. Because it isn't Standard Chinese, I'll just hope that Jade Dragon a linguist.

Having Geyser be present to try and save Jade Dragon is probably a big deal for the Akashayana...

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat May 16, 2020 10:17 pm

The book doesn't really give me a good sense of how disabling a fail should be. Let me know if this is about right or not.
Pixel rips herself out of the vision Glimmer provides. Memories flash through her head of attending church as a child ... and then as a teenager, dragged there by her parents ... the pastor preaching hellfire and brimstone, and Pixel as a teenager seeing herself as among those he insisted would be eternally damned. And then her parents tying her up and gagging her as she slept, so they could exorcise her. The ... thing ... Glimmer had shown was all too much like the angry God that she had grown up in fear of.

She finds herself curling up in a ball on the floor and crying. In the back of her mind, a voice yammers at herself to pull herself together, that this is no time to lose her shit, that she needs to warn the others, that this is embarrassing.

She recalls her meditation training and breaths deeply. She doesn't really calm herself, but after a bit, she manages to pull herself together--at least enough to uncurl, wipe the tears from her eyes, and say in a hoarse, scared voice, "There's ... something there. On the other side of the Umbra, trying to push through. It's like a cross between Cthulhu and the angry Old Testament God. And I think it's trying to reach us through Jade Dragon ..." She looks over at the unconscious woman. "I don't what the h..." She starts to say hell, but chokes on the word, as images of fire and brimstone come back to her. "I don't know what's going, but I don't think it's her fault."

Pixel then collapses onto her back and stares up at the ceiling, feeling completely spent.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:56 am

With the worst of her life-threatening injuries triaged and the rest left for later, both Geyser and Ulrich come together to comfort the assailed mind of Jade Dragon. None have all the pieces to the puzzle in order to know what has gone on, who is at fault, and what needs to be done. But they do know there is a suffering human being before them, one who is wounded and in pain. Geyser has the compassion to try, but little experience with providing solace to those who have been cut deep by the trauma of life. Ulrich has had many years traveling the Earth and Umbra, and has experienced things beyond normal imagination and come through ... not unscathed, definitely not that, but with an intact heart that still yet bleeds with empathy for others. With Geyser translating to Jade Dragon's first tongue of Cantonese, the Chorister brings words of healing and consolation. Nothing bombastic, nothing that would make it as a quote on a cheap inspirational poster, but words that speak to the soul. That cut through national and cultural boundaries, transcend class and creed, that speak purity beyond language that bridges the gaps between oneself and others. The eyes of the assailed begin to cry, the gaze slowly developing comprehension as a lifeline has been extended to a spirit drowning in suffering.

Pixel cries out, for all appearances under assault as well. She falls to the floor, curling up in a fetal position and weeps, her fingernails digging into her head as she relives the traumatic experiences that have left deep scars in her psyche that she might never truly recover from. Some events can only be survived, not healed. She can be heard muttering to herself, words of self-condemnation at her weakness.

Dexter often keeps himself reserved and somewhat aloof. He has always been engaged with the others and their actions, but a certain emotional distance is kept, an armor keeping himself safe. No one gathered here has seen into his mind, to know of his depression and self-destructive thoughts he has struggled with for years. They do not know what experiences have helped mold his habits. They can only accept him for who he is, and work together as best they can. But this time he is different. As Pixel is crushed down, his heart is immediately touched. It might be 'wiser' to try to deal with the supernatural manifestations coursing around, but his first urgency is to help Pixel, to come to her aid in her time of need. He flips through his Tarot cards faster than anyone else can follow, his words coming in fits and starts as he attempts to pierce the veil of possible futures, searching for the right words to say. In the end the precise words spoken to the technomage are not remembered, but they help Pixel to move past the self-loathing of failure, to come through them into the here and now. To provide assurance that she truly is in control of her own self, and can choose what to think and do.

With a hoarse and scared voice, she warns of danger. "There's ... something there. On the other side of the Umbra, trying to push through. It's like a cross between Cthulhu and the angry Old Testament God. And I think it's trying to reach us through Jade Dragon." Her gaze moves from the floor to the floating woman, trying to continue. "I don't what the h-" she tries to say, then breaks off as she continues to deal with her internal emotional state. Trying again she manages to get out another sentence, dropping some minor grammar as she just tries to push her words through her conflicted mind. "I don't know what's going, but I don't think it's her fault." She then starts to collapse back to the floor, but Dexter is there to be her support in time of need, and catches her and helps her to stand.

Independent of your actions, Master Robertson continues whatever ritual he is putting together with the help of the others who came forward. He deftly reaches with one hand into his formal robes and rustles around, returning to sight holding a handful of glittering dust. With a shout he casts it straight upwards. As it falls he draws another rune of fire into the air, and the glittering material orders itself into a solid silver ring surrounding everyone near the dias, including you. The fiery runes begin to order themselves in the air in a flat circle above your heads, the same size as the silver ring on the ground.
Geyser: Charisma 2/(no training in relevant skills) TN 7: 3,10 = 1 Success.
Ulrich: Charisma 3 / Empathy 4 (Consolation specialization, so 10's Explode) TN 7: 2,6,7,7,7,8,9 = 5 Successes!!! Holy crap is he designed for this kind of situation.

Dexter: Time 3 (TN 6) to try to find as he goes best words to console Pixel: 4,5,7 = 1 Success. Giving him +1 Die on his Charisma 2 / (no training in relevant skills) TN 7: 5,7,7 = 2 Successes. Help's Pixel!

Pixel: Willpower Re-Roll(b/c of Dexter's help, rather than it being another round Feared before the re-roll) TN 7: 5,5,5,5,6,6,7,10 = 2 Successes. Back to normal! Well, may still be freaked out and the like, but fully in control of her actions.
Not sure what's up with Karstil, since he PM-ed me over a week ago that he was posting. Hermit has been struggling a lot with writer's block, and asked I post his actions for him this time, and work together on getting him back in the creative writing groove.

Also, Shadowrun: Hong Kong was freaking amazing. Totally loved it and the two previous games in the series by the developer. Rory has good taste in games. :)
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:17 pm

"Thank you," Pixel whispers to Dexter. "Could you help me to a chair?" After he does, she sits down heavily in it and buries her face, now bright red with embarrassment, in her hands. She felt like she had made a completely fool of herself losing control like that. After her mind roils around for a bit, she remembers to take some deep meditative breaths and manages to give herself a little more space from her feelings. She peeks out between her fingers to see what's going on. She is relieved to see that Jade Dragon is in good hands, but wonders what Robertson is doing.

After a few minutes, she shakily brings out her phone and summons Glimmer. "What ... what was that you showed me? Don't show me again--once was more than enough. But--I mean I know it was something bad and terrifying as hell--but what was it? The love child of Cthulhu and Jehovah?"

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:58 pm

Almost moved to tears, becoming a mirror to her absolute state himself, Geyser reaches out for Jade Dragon's hand and doesn't let go, believing it could make a huge difference in this dire moment. He starts working on another spell. This time, he wants to speak to the entity on the other side.

"Leave, spirit. We gathered here won't tolerate your influence over the Awakened! Let her alone and get out."
Spirit 3, Pierce Gauntlet to tell the spirit to get lost. Or, failing that, listen to it wag its tongue if it deigns a reply.

And thanks, I actually came from the video game sphere when I began my foray into ttrpgs. Actual ttrpgs have a lot more of what I go for in video game rpgs.

Karstil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Karstil » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:07 am

Ulrich kneels with Geyser at Jade Dragons side. He concentrates on her wounded self and uses all his experience with traumatized and hurt people to help her, thankful for Geysers help and translations.

Although he hears Pixels outcry, he blocks her speak out, to not loos his concentrations, and relies on her and his other friends to help her. Until her saying: „angry old Testament god“ and „trying to push trough“, together with Geyser's words from before about the thin Gauntlet this triggers alarms in Ulrichs head.

The prist pulls his old Bibel out and flips it open, he pours some holy water on his fingers and draws a cross on Jade Dragons forehead, as a blessing and anchor for what he is about to do. His golden crucifix in his right hand, he reaches out to take Geyser's and Jade Dragons holding hands.

While Geyser try's to start a communication with the entity on the other side, Ulrich begins a fervent prayer: "Pater filio et spiritus sanctus. Hoc timore indigno famulo tuo, clypeo fidei militiae caelestis honores. Mihi virtutem contra hanc sauciatis et interciperet." The people around hear the steel in his voice as he throws his faith and live in front of Jade Dragon.
Latin: Let this unworthy servant, in your name and to the honor of the heavenly host, raise the shield of faith fearlessly.
Give me the strength to protect this wounded soul and intercept the attack she is suffering.
Prime 3 and Spirit 2 to intercept the attack and draw it on myself / Using all Instuments, especially the Bibel as Unique Instrument for Spirit, and both Willpower and the 3 Quintessence
Thanks for the patience with me. As MwD has written I wanted to post for several days, but hit a little writers block, littel because I knew what I wanted to write but could not get the start. Again, thanks to MwD because his post was for me a great pitch where I could start from.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:14 am

Dexter didn’t, no, could not remember the words he’d said to alleviate whatever mental trauma that had stricken the Adept. Any attempt at recalling that stretch of time yielded at best what could only be described as someone watching an especially dramatic scene in a film, albeit muted and without subtitles for further clarification. Perhaps an unforeseen consequence of manipulating an already turbulent Time Stream outside its traditional sphere and governing laws.

These musings are cut short by Pixel’s whispered plea to be brought to a chair a nearby empty chair. Startled as if shaken out of a daze, Dexter complied with a mumbled “sure” and helped her into a vacant seat.

Assured that no further assistance was required of him, the Orphan returned his attention over to the ongoing efforts by the Primus and others to run damage control on… whatever the hell was going on, observing with a sober look that Jade Dragon appeared to be recovering from whatever mystical affliction that was causing her to have a convulsive attack and bleed from her eyes and ears. Suddenly reminded of his own vertiginous revelation from earlier, Dexter alerts everyone present of the chaotic distortions within the Time Stream.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:03 pm

Pixel looks up with alarm at Dexter's warning. "The distortions in time must be being caused by .... whatever it is that's trying to break through." She shudders at the memory. "Can it ... time travel to undo what we've done in the last few minutes?" How much the idea disturbs her is clear in her voice.