OOC Discussions

Mage: Ascension War OOC forum.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: OOC Discussions

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:35 pm

Rory - yes, you can effectively 'Aid Another'. You need at least 1 Dot in the Sphere you want to Aid Another in. Which you do, so you're good. You'll basically roll your Arete as normal, and your Successes will add to his, with some caveats.

Part of the Metaphysics of Mage is that each of you as a Willworker sees the world differently, at a truly fundamental level. Using generalities, Virtual Adepts see everything as information, so one could change a 1 to a 0 and delete something from reality. Sons of Ether see their workings as "Science!", using their tools to make the wonders of their unfettered imaginations into reality. Celestial Choristers connect to their interpretation of the supernal One, praying and channeling the divine to save this fallen world.

To 'Aid Another', the effectiveness of it will depend on how congruent you can work your magic in a way that still is valid in your Paradigm, but also works with the Paradigm of the person you are trying to empower. In Crunch terms I'll adjust the TN depending on how well it all makes sense (I'd say a sliding scale, +0 if they effectively had the same Tradition/Paradigm, +3 if they barely make any sense working together).
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:46 pm

I like to find music to focus depending on what game I'm in. Any ideas for Mage M20? Traditions create a ton of variance, but I get the feeling that the noir subgenre as a common thread is key for mages in the world of darkness.

For Akashic and Oriental themes/settings I found some stuff that comes close to my feel for Ray/Geyser just chilling out at home.

Samurai Champloo - Lofi HipHop Mix - Nujabes inspired
Specifically these ones:
(9:14) "Sunflower Samurai"
(32:46) Lupin the Beatsmith's remix of the ending theme

Actually I was working on a "Smith" character, just as an interesting idea for a character while listening to some dystopian sounds. A sympathetic Technocrat working with the party. It would depend on the "world state" and the Technocrats' situation in relation to the setting, and choosing the right Technocrat Tradition, but I like the idea of an Agent Smith PC who is sent to keep tabs on the party, with an optional Technocrat goal per chapter that they would have to work together to solve in a way that would satisfy the mage faction(s) and the Smiths.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:14 am

I like the way your mind works, Rory. I haven't done a big look into Music for setting moods, but I like where you're going with that. And sympathetic Technocrats is a staple of the genre. Especially for GMs that like to screw their Players for trusting a Technocrat in the first place. ;) Although in official Canon there have been team-ups between the Traditions and the Technocracy, and that poor Unifier character that you've managed to un-screw champions those team-ups.

On another note, we've hit another week-plus lull in Posting. I've sent a couple PMs to Karstil, although I also admit I haven't hit up Hermit on the Discord recently. So we're sitting on just 2 of the 4 having Posted. How about we try something new, although it doesn't perfectly match this exact situation, but is relatively common.
- After 3 of the 4 of you Post in the Thread, that starts a time limit. Say ... 3 days? If the 4th hasn't Posted (and I'll try to stay in contact to help provide encouragement and bounce ideas) after 3 days, I'm going to Post anyways. And either the PC doesn't do anything or I nudge them along in what I think is a logical manner. Is that fair? I'm open to other suggestions or modifications as well.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:10 pm

That makes good sense to me. People may have stuff going on their lives that keeps them from posting or even getting to the internet, but there's no reason to let that weigh down the game.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:57 pm

I'll agree to that. I hope things are ok with the others.

I'm a prolific gamer, and almost everything I play has music consistently playing over the action/scenes, so guess that is where I found my want for musical themes for a character/setting, and I have fun with it. Whatever I can do to better immerse myself in the character I play, I go for it. And I certainly don't want to take credit for the unlikely mediator Smith concept, I'm sure it's been used many times, and that subtle hint tells me to be very wary of any we might run into in this game...

Karstil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Karstil » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:12 pm

I could stand behind such an approach, mostly because I have the feeling I'm the prime culprit of slowing down the speed

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:26 pm

Not trying to point fingers, my friend. :) I've certainly been the person lagging at times. This also makes me accountable to the rest of you to stay on top of things as well. I'm on that 3-Day Timer as well!

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:45 pm

ManWithDoor wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:58 am
Rory: I need to know what Sphere that Geyser has chosen to have Affinity in. Normally Akashic's go with Mind, but since you didn't take any in that (you deviant!), which is your Affinity? I'm assuming either Spirit or Life, looking at your Spheres.
:lol: Life sphere. Are you doing anything with that before we can post?

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:00 pm

Nope! Just needed to know. Carry on.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:54 am

I didn't realize that level of chattiness from one's avatar was uncommon. I'll shut him up for a while. :lol: