Prologue: A Royal Proclamation, A Call to Arms!

The Battle of the Five Armies is over, Dale and Esgaroth have been rebuilt and a new King Under the Mountain sits on the throne of Erebor.

King Bard has issued a call to all adventurous folk, rallying them to his cause - to clear the lands of the north of all that would threaten the Free Peoples. Will you answer his call

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:18 pm

"Ah, well..." The barkeep says, tapping the side of his nose with his finger. "..that would be telling." He adds with a wry smile.

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:35 pm

"Tall tales indeed." Orin notes somewhat suspiciously. Was the barkeep making fun of his or the Hobbits height? Deciding to leave it be, he gulps down some more ale and follows along the conversation about the arrow, eyeing it himself with a trained eye. After a moment of gauging the quality of the blackened piece, he figures unless he can get his hands on it there's no way to make sure, and instead focuses on the barkeep, trying to get a read on him.
Insight roll please, on the barkeep.
"Fair go be gey the price wouldn't it... An arrow yon pierced a dragons hide made o' gold and silver? Gotten some i' the dragons hide plunkit awa faet aa somewhere as brawly?" Orin notes cleverly, poking at the barkeep with the added question on if he got the gold and silver that had made up of the dragons hide somewhere hidden... in addition to the arrow that is.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:18 pm

"Errr" Mumbles the barkeep, unsure as to what exactly was being asked.

"I'm sure if it were the real Black Arrow, it would be beyond mere gold or silver. But, all I know is that it was pulled from the flotsam that washed ashore after the dragon fell and Esgaroth burned... It was taken as a token of our folk's resilience and the owner of the tavern here thought it would serve as a fitting totem for the bar.. A good luck charm if you like." He says, shrugging his shoulders at the question about gold.

"Only folk would know would be King Bard himself I would hazard." He adds.
From what Orin can tell, this latest statement at least seems genuine.

Rolled:

1d20: (9)
Totaling: 9
Adding 5 (Insight skill) = 14

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Torwald cant' argue with the barkeep, he himself has never seen a halfling, nor did he really believe the tales, until a few of them began to show up in the region on their own adventures like the fabled Mr.Baggins. He stays focused on the matter at hand as he drinks his ale putting his coins away and letting Orin pay. "I am Torwald son of Skarf, come from Dale but born of Lake-town. I have a royal decree that says I and these others are to speak to him. If that's not enough I'll go and see if Olvard son of Erland, steward to the Master of Lake-Town, who gave me it, will come and find him for me if you can't."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:48 pm

"I am certain the owner of such a fine establishment would want to do all that he can to assist the Master of Lake-town." Dolenril smiles at the man hoping he will play along and make this go as smoothly as possible.

Bounder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bounder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Judging that Torvald, Orin and Dolenril are capable of negotiating with these locals, Eofor quietly sips his ale, following their lead.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:02 pm

"Well Torwald son of Skarf, I am Arn son of Arnulf. There will be no need to interrupt Olvard, I'm sure he has plenty to keep him busy at the town hall." The man says in a conciliatory tone.

"Though truth be told I'm guessing the wily old fox would prefer to be out in the Marches keeping the new farmsteads safe rather than hiring people and reporting to the Master."

He lowers his voice, beckoning Torwald and the others closer. "The bearded gentleman in the black cloak in the corner, that be Peregond."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:42 pm

"Very much obliged." Dolenrill says. "Would you know much about his temperament? I suppose I'm asking, do you think he will cause much trouble if we ask him to come along?"

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Omenstar » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:23 am

"Yer ale's not bad, Arn son of Arnulf," says Dobbin, swinging his hairy feet in the air from his high perch on the bar stool. He drains the mug and hops down to the floor. "These wander-loving feet of mine are beginning to feel anxious to get back on the Road, so why don't we go have a chat with 'Black Cloak' over there and see what's what about this letter?" The hobbit gestures to the corner.

Almost as an after-thought he turns back to the Bar Keep and says, "Oh, and by the way, it's Woodbridge. Mr. Woodbridge of the Shire to you, Arn son of Arnulf."
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Turning to the elf, Arn replies, "You'll not get any trouble from the Ranger, I can assure you of that - unless you bring your own."

"I have no idea if he would accompany you, that's for him and you to decide I would guess." He adds.

He looks over to Dobbin, still obviously a little embarrassed by his earlier mistaken assumption. "I am pleased to make your acquaintance Mr Woodbridge and my humble apology good Sir."