Prologue: A Royal Proclamation, A Call to Arms!

The Battle of the Five Armies is over, Dale and Esgaroth have been rebuilt and a new King Under the Mountain sits on the throne of Erebor.

King Bard has issued a call to all adventurous folk, rallying them to his cause - to clear the lands of the north of all that would threaten the Free Peoples. Will you answer his call

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:34 pm

Dolenril follows the others to the table where the ranger sits waiting. He nods silently in greeting. So this man was a ranger. One of the Dunedain. If so, he was far from home. Well, he would see what would come of this meeting.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:28 pm

When the others gather and sit down around the, now decidedly crowded table, Peregond nods to each of them before speaking in a low whispered voice, the hustle and bustle of the rest of the taproom carrying on around them.

"Well met all of you. I see we have an interesting mix of peoples in these parts. I trust you can all work together to further our cause in the shadow of the great mountain."

"I will be quick about it; I have to leave on urgent business and your task is also one dependent on speed as well as stealth." As he speaks, he starts scraping out his clay pipe, looking up at you at relevant moments.

"In recent months Northmen of Rhovanion have been moving in numbers around Esgaroth. Normally we would not be concerned by such things - this is their ancestral land, settled long before Dale and Esgaroth were built. Usually they roam the Upper Marches, following their cattle and sheep and rarely concerning themselves with the troubles of Bardings and Men of the Lake."

"Recently however, some of them have turned to banditry, raiding farms and other small settlements. A few days ago, one of my men tracked a group of over a dozen close to the shores of the Long Lake, all of them bearing arms. They headed south and left the area before anything more could be learned about them. Less than a day later another group was spotted following the same path south along the banks of the Running River."

"I would like you to follow their trail and find out where they are going and why." He says, looking at each of you. "Are you up to this task?"

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:36 pm

"Aye." Orin notes smiling coyly,"We ar, but ah believe ye hiv forgotten something."

As he speaks. he brings up his left hand and rubs his fore and middle fingers with his thumb in a gesture that can only mean he wishes to know what level of 'compensation' the company would be receiving for its efforts in this. Potential wars were expensive and dangerous both, and by the Dwarfs logic, if the Lake men wished for an intervention they'd need to pay for it.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Torwald listens and frowns with a grim look on his face, "Are we spies then against the comings and goings of free men? Can a man not travel these lands free of suspicion?" He himself has wandered these lands much, all while armed with sword and bow. "Do we have reason to believe this group of men has done harm to any on their way?" He finishes his drink, a delaying tactic only to hear more before he says anything more to upset this Peregond.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Omenstar » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:40 pm

Dobbin pipes up, "Well, if they've been seen doing banditry, then they quite deserve to be spied upon, I'd say!" he says energetically, "The love of the Road is what keeps me moving and if there are some who would make roads unsafe for decent folk, well, they should shove off someplace else! If Men like this were causing trouble on the borders of my homeland I would want them watched too. Watched and more is likely!"
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Bounder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bounder » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Eofor frowns at the dwarf's request but stays silent for now. He is bonded by his theign's promise to aid the people of the north and needs no reward.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Peregond turns to the dwarf, his expression neutral. "I am sure, master dwarf, that King Bard's treasury would adequately recompense you for your time. On your return, Olvard will see to that." He turns his attention to Torwald, Dobbin and the others.

"Despite appearances, the Northmen of Rhovanion are quite a peaceable folk, not usually prone to travelling in large armed bands. We simply wish to gather what information we can on their intentions and whereabouts, lest they become more of a direct threat to the stability of the region."

"Indeed master Dobbin," the ranger agrees, nodding at the Hobbit's assertion. "The roadways of the north are dangerous enough without armed bands of men roaming the lands. The law of the King must be seen to be enforced should they turn to banditry."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:57 pm

"I suppose if the group of men in question have been causing trouble its worth looking into. If the group in question are just travelers, armed for protection, it could be a great waste of time. Have those you want us to check in on personally done anything we should know about?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:18 pm

"From what I am told, they did not appear to be simple travelers. They were well armed and moving with purpose." Peregond replied. "The Northmen of the Upper Marches are usually found following their herds, but these groups moved alone and carried little with them other than their weapons."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 pm

Torwald nods, "So let say we find them, then what? Are we to spy on them only or do we take action against them traveling in the lands?" He's wandered enough throughout lands to know the suspicion in people is a terrible thing, and to be judged on just your looks doesn't help anyone when all you are doing is enjoying a nice trip.