Prologue: A Royal Proclamation, A Call to Arms!

The Battle of the Five Armies is over, Dale and Esgaroth have been rebuilt and a new King Under the Mountain sits on the throne of Erebor.

King Bard has issued a call to all adventurous folk, rallying them to his cause - to clear the lands of the north of all that would threaten the Free Peoples. Will you answer his call

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:38 pm

The ranger lets out a long breath from his nose and casts a cautious eye about the room, leaning closer to the table pausing for a moment as he waits for the others to follow suit.

"There are whispers in the winds that blow through the Upper Marches that tell of one named Sark the Bear-skinned. A bandit from the east." He says in a hoarse whisper. "He is a Half-orc of the most foul reputation. He used to prey on lone travelers and small, isolated farms but now he has grown bold and with it his reputation has brought others to his side. It is thought these men may be on the move on his demands."

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Omenstar » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:56 pm

"If that's the case, we'll confirm it!" offers the hobbit.
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:27 am

"There does be an opportunity 'ere." Orin interjects, having noticed that the group now tended to either wanting to leave the potential bandits be lest they be innocent, or outright agree to murdering the lot of them if they were so. If there was one thing that Orin the traveling merchant had learned in his nearly century long life it was that things were rarely as they seemed and even then there were... shades to every evil. Mayhaps these 'bandits' merely needed the pastures and goods they were now trampling on to feed their children?

"It may or may nah have occured to ye lot, but I stand no vagabond of an adventurer, but a merchan' of prosperous lot." It's true... despite his raggedy accent which seems to lift from Dalish to Dwarven and to everything in between, he was far too finely dressed with his silvers, golds and furs to often be making these ventures.

"Might be we could use this as a cover and see if this lot has need of goods like good, honest Dwarven steel... or be they needing that steel in their bellies?"
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:19 pm

"I would say it would be best to avoid violence as much as we can. If we can discourage them sufficiently with our presence, then let's hope that will be sufficient. That said, as agents of King Bard, how much authority would we be granted should it be necessary to be more forceful?" Dolenril would prefer to avoid bloodshed. These were after all not orcs, but men who were accused of banditry.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:59 pm

"We need to act swiftly if you are to catch up with these groups, I am not sure a ruse of this kind would be the best course of action Master Orin."

Turning to Dolneril the ranger replies, "If they can be warned off, all well and good. But if they look like they are to be a threat to either yourselves or the honest free folk of these lands, then you have the King's authority to take whatever actions you think necessary."

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Omenstar » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:21 pm

Dobbin looks despairingly at the rather empty-looking table.

He tries to catch the attention of a passing server, "Any seedcakes, love?" he asks hopefully, "or bread and cheese - and honey too, if you have some. Plus, a crock of that stew I'm smelling from the kitchen, if you please. Oh, and more ale. Yes, ale all around, I think."

He looks around at his companions: "Well, if we're to 'act swiftly' then I guess it's best to do it on a full stomach, wouldn't you say?"

"My friend, Orin, may we impose on you again for the tab...?"
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Bounder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bounder » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:53 pm

"The Hobytla speaks for himself in this Master Orin, this ale is as much as I should have while on duty." Eofor awkwardly insists. Although he speaks truly, he is more concerned that he will be expected to reciprocate with a round which he can ill afford financially.

"Orin, your plan has certain merit, and is both creative and unexpected by our foes. I fear, though, that it would lead to the drawing of swords before learn the full scope of our quarry. Might we implement such a charade after some reconnaissance?"

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:48 am

Just as he is about to stand up to accede to the Hobbits wishes, Orin hears the Rohirric's response. Facing the man with an impish smile rarely seen in the folk of Durin, he speaks out with a mirthful response.

"On duty, are ye? I did nae be knowin' the duties of the Riders lasted so far North." Pausing for a moment he looks considering before responding,"Nay... I believe it stands not duty that unmans you so. Do ye fear a Dwarf and a Hobbit might drink ye under the table?"

Clapping the man on the shoulder as he heads off to get a new round for each man (including their 'employer') Orin returns and nods to the Manling consideringly. Despite Perebonds mislike of his suggestion, it was clearly gaining support at least so he waited to hear the others thoughts on the matter.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:04 pm

Torwald has grown silent since the name of Sark the Bear-skinned was mentioned. He's withdrawn, thinking. His lips move as if speaking bu the makes no sound as he runs through a collection of names of men and bandits he's heard of in the region. Torwald is well versed in the regions around Dale, as far north as the Narrows between the forest and the mountain, and even east into the Waste. Some day he will travel further, but now it seems he will have to put his past experiences to the test closer to home.
Waiting on a lore check PM from the GM.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:33 pm

"They say he wears the hide of a black bear he killed with his own hands." His words are soft and low, his eyes cast down on the table and his mug. "They also say he is half man and half orc, if such a thing is possible." He looks up at the Ranger across the table. "You can count me in now. His growing band of outlaws has caused enough trouble up and down the farmsteads of the region. All my reservations are behind me now on this. I'm a tracker, a traveler, but I can hold my sword and pull my bow well enough. Though I prefer to hunt deer and game, I will hunt this man-beast for the King."

He looks at the others, "I will leave at dawn from the end of the shore side bridge. If you are coming, meet me there." With that he stands, and thanks the dwarf for his hospitality, nods to Peregond, and tucking the writ back into his coat leaves to make his things ready for the morning.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring