Prologue: A Royal Proclamation, A Call to Arms!

The Battle of the Five Armies is over, Dale and Esgaroth have been rebuilt and a new King Under the Mountain sits on the throne of Erebor.

King Bard has issued a call to all adventurous folk, rallying them to his cause - to clear the lands of the north of all that would threaten the Free Peoples. Will you answer his call

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Omenstar » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:56 pm

"Well, I guess we're spies for the king now," Dobbin says decisively and with a bit more of a somber tone after hearing Torwald's grim description of the halforc.

Slightly more quietly, he leans in to Orin, "but I still don't understand these Men's reluctance to begin a quest with a full and satisfied belly..." and he goes about his work on the seedcakes and ale with dedication and as much hobbit cheer as the now-solemn mood will allow.
Last edited by Omenstar on Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Bounder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bounder » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:39 pm

"A moment Torvald." Eofor says to the ranger. "We should discuss the manner of our going. Do we all go on foot in stealth? I see merit in the dwarf's scheme. If, after stealthy surveillance, we decide to implement it we should take a wagon with a draft team as well as empty barrels or other mock goods. At least I mean to ride so that we have means to give chase or to maneuver quickly."

"You've travelled the lands hereabouts, know you of a place we could use as a hidden camp in the wilds from which we can work?"

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:03 pm

"Time is of the essence." Peregond adds, "I have heard of this half-orc also, but we need to be sure he is behind this before we can act against him.. That may be a fight for another time."

"My scout marked their position on this map."

"I am happy to leave the exact details up to you, but if these men are a threat to what has been achieved here around Dale then we need to act swiftly."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Torwald is standing, and stop, looking at the map. "What merchant wanders the lands south of Lake-town?" Then he nods to Peregond, "The Long Marches are no places for horses or wagons. It is a deep dank bog, with sucking mud and no road or trails to speak of. No, I think the dwarf's plan has little merit this time. We should plan to travel fast and light, with stealth if possible, and well armed if we are encounter this half man."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bounder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bounder » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:22 pm

Eofor nods in agreement "Then I will see you at dawn at the south gate bridge." and leaves the group to sort out stabling for his horse with the landlord. He then meets with his theign to let him know he will be on errantry in the service of King Bard, and packs his weapons and gear for foot travel.

What strange times that a Rider of the Mark serves a foreign lord in such strange company.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Dolenril listens to the other's discussion. "I too would advise that we travel on foot and with as much stealth as possible. Such an eclectic group of companions is likely to draw suspicion. I will meet you on the morrow then Torwald." He thanks the dwarf for his hospitality and makes his way to the Elven District where some friends have agreed to give him lodging for the night.

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Omenstar » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:43 pm

"I traveled through there and got to know the Long Marshes fairly well, myself," offers Dobbin to Orin and Peregond, "I think I could find us a dry spot to rest in or range from, if need be..."

He ponders the map thoughtfully for a few moments, then says, "Well, friend dwarf, guess I'll see you at the bridge tomorrow!" and he goes back to the bar to ask Arn if the good establishment has any hobbit sized rooms, or otherwise where one might be found.
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:35 am

Remaining behind a while longer, Orin finishes his drink and later on orders a meal, before turning in and preparing for the following days exertions.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:46 pm

Dobbin and Orin both retire to rooms above the taproom at the Black Arrow, while Dolenril makes the short walk to the Elven Quarter of Lake-Town where he has a room above a woodwright's shop. Eofor ensures that Fram is suitably comfortable in the small stable building behind the inn, before also retiring for the night and Torwald returns to his dwelling and beds down.

Torwald:
The dreams of the young Barding are filled with visions of foggy marshlands and desolate misty moors. Shadowy figures lurk at the periphery of his dream, never fully entering his vision. Despite this, he wakes refreshed the following morning.

Continued in "On the right track?"