Act 1: Journey Phase - On the right track?

The Battle of the Five Armies is over, Dale and Esgaroth have been rebuilt and a new King Under the Mountain sits on the throne of Erebor.

King Bard has issued a call to all adventurous folk, rallying them to his cause - to clear the lands of the north of all that would threaten the Free Peoples. Will you answer his call

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:52 pm

As agreed the company gathers by the gate to Lake-Town on the bridge the following morning.

There is still a chill in the air, but the wooden walkways of Esgaroth are mercifully free of the slippery white frost that adorned them the previous morning.

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Orin was awake bright and early, and much to the other members of the company's surprise, he had shed his more expensive garnments in favour of a comfortable looking leather jerkin, solid leather boots and a fur-lined cloak that could keep him warm and the rain off his beard. Despite his seemingly pampered nature, he was clearly an experienced traveler, even if not an adventurer.

Still, he can't halt a small yawn from escaping his lips as he makes his way along the chilly walkways, chewing on the remains of his breakfast as he passes fishermen and traders getting ready for the days labour.

"Top o'tha mornin' to ye." He greets the other members of the company cheerfully,"Ready to hit tha' road?"
Volunteering as Scout due to Stealth being the only skill I have worth a damn. :lol:
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:27 pm

Torwald is late, he arrives almost last among the company with a grim look on his face. There is a shadow of doubt on his eyes, and he frowns as he makes the walk across the bridge. Reaching Orin he looks up, "Do not be so eager to plunge headlong into the dark and desolate marshlands. Terrible things may lurk in the shadows of that place." He holds in one hand a map of the region, mostly made by his own travels and marked and annotated in places. "If our goal is the east banks of the Running River, and the lands southeast of Lake-town then we have come the wrong way. I have given thought to this, and we should return to the harbor and hire a boat to row us to the eastern shore of the Long Lake, from there I can guide us through the Upper Marches of the land to seek our goal."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bounder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bounder » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:35 pm

"The top of this morning to you as well.' Eofor reciprocates to the dwarf. He hopes that this journey will, at least, give him an opportunity to understand the speech of these folk.

To Torvald he nods, trusting the wanderer's guidance.

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Omenstar » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:51 am

"Good morning!" says a chipper Dobbin to the companions while munching on an apple.

"A good plan, Mr. Torwald, assuming we don't mind the gossip of Laketown being all about the motley band who hired the loose-tongued fisher to drop them off in the wilds of the east - in the exact opposite direction any civilized folk ever go."

"Then again," the hobbit says between bites of his apple, "no one ever said our mission is a secret, and what are the chances...really...of honest Laketown gossip reaching the ears of bandits a day's journey south of here - and on the wrong side of the river to boot!"

"...right?"
Since it's only a one day journey, I'm guessing the role of Hunter might not come into play, right? In which case, we could let it be picked up by our Guide, on an as-needed, basis. So, in that case, I would suggest Dobbin take the role of Scout, while Eofor and Dolenril share the duty of Lookout (one as Lead; one as the Help) - assuming I'm right to guess they both have better Perception than Orin.
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:00 am

Grunting, Orin gives Torwald a look. He was already getting tired of the mans constant negativity and quite frankly misplaced ideal that he was somehow the most experienced member of the ad-hoc party. He was, but a pup with his tankard half-full after all.

"Terrible things be lying in wait everywhere in this Age." Orin grunts, voicing his displeasure,"Donnae be thinkin' just cause you know the ways of this swamp they be all there is to it."
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Omenstar » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:27 am

"Terrible things lying in wait???" Dobbin says with big eyes, looking at Orin. "With a bit of luck, hopefully we can avoid whatever they are and get a little spying done on a halforc and some highwaymen."

With a big gulp, he takes another bite of his apple.
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:15 am

Dolenril had rested well in the manner of the elves, if not in sleep as the mortals took there rest. He is waiting when the other's arrive. "I agree with Torwald, I think it best if we hire a boat to take us to the eastern shore."

Looking at Dobbin, he says, "Allay your fears for now Master Dobbin. We are a decent sized company and I don't fear too much from a group of bandits. Think of the stories you will have to tell over a mug of ale in your favorite inn when this business is concluded." He smiles reassuringly at the hobbit.

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Omenstar » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Dobbin is visibly relieved by the Scholar's calm demeanor. He looks between the Elf and the Barding, "Well, if that's settled, let's go get a boat and a boatman!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:13 pm

"At the very least Master Dwarf we will be bringing something terrible with us into the swamp, now won't we?" He winks at the dwarf, just what he's suggesting he let's hang there in the air. "If everyone is in agreement, let's go hire a boat and take our little group to the east shore. I know a few fishmen who could use the extra coin to act as ferryman." He walks past Dobbin and pats him on the shoulder, "Don't worry, if we can avoid trouble, we shall." Then he's off to the docks and the fishing boats to try and hire a ride to the east shore of the Lake.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring