Act 1: Journey Phase - On the right track?

The Battle of the Five Armies is over, Dale and Esgaroth have been rebuilt and a new King Under the Mountain sits on the throne of Erebor.

King Bard has issued a call to all adventurous folk, rallying them to his cause - to clear the lands of the north of all that would threaten the Free Peoples. Will you answer his call

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Bounder
Level 2
Level 2

Act 1: The Bloody Camp

Post by Bounder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Still scanning the far bank for points from which the party might be ambushed, Eofor says "Climb up on my back Master Hobbit, we'll get you across. And Orin, you'll need to tie your beard around your ears." He then removes his boots to prepare for the crossing.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:54 am

"Come little friend. If you will allow me to, I will bear you on my back. I do not think the river will be so difficult to cross," Donelril offers Dobbin. To the rest of the group, he says, "Let us ford hear, it seems others have shown us that it is possible."

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:52 am

Grumbling, Orin ties his beard around his face and wades in with the rest, not insinuating he might want some help, but keeping near to some of the taller folks in case he slips and starts to drown. He'd found that Dwarves were rather.... poor at swimming.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Act 1: The Bloody Camp

Post by Omenstar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Bounder wrote:Still scanning the far bank for points from which the party might be ambushed, Eofor says "Climb up on my back Master Hobbit, we'll get you across. And Orin, you'll need to tie your beard around your ears." He then removes his boots to prepare for the crossing.
Dobbin clambers up the horseman's tall frame, clinging as he may to belt, backpack, cloak and finally Eofor's tall helm. Although he's grasping with white knuckles, the hobbit manages to keep his voice fairly steady, "You're a fair and decent Man, Eofor," says Dobbin, "and I am also not blind to the irony: that rider now is ridden! If you unstring your bow can you use it like a staff to help keep your footing more stable as we cross?"
Last edited by Omenstar on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Sensing the dwarf's hesitation, Dolenril says,"Orin, it seems that the hobbit is taken care of. Come, hold on to me and steady yourself as you cross if you wish."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Torwald takes Eofor's pack, or Dobbins, since the man is already hauling the Hobbit. He blazes the trail through the river, leading the group, picking out safe spots and avoiding deeper areas and slippery rocks. The water is cold and uncomfortable, but he doesn't grumble or complain as he crosses.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:02 am

Grumbling, but unwilling to risk drowning, Orin wades in besides the Elf, too proud to grab him, but too afraid of what might occur to truly steer clear of the taller companion.
"Aye." He mumbles feeling extremely silly with his beard wrapped around his face and being ready to grab an elf whom was most likely exceedingly frail when compared to his girth.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:30 pm

With Eofor bearing Dobbin on his back, Orin stays as close as his pride allows to Dolneril while Torwald, bearing the extra burden of Eofor’s pack, takes the lead crossing the sluggish Running River.

The group are around two thirds of the way across when both Dolneril and Torwald stumble on some submerged obstacle. Torwald gets a dunking but manages to keep his head above water and regains his footing quickly. However, Dolneril disappears under the water for an alarming amount of time.
Actions please!

For the record, Orin is closest. Torwald is encumbered with an additional pack and Eofor and Dobbin are last in line and encumbered with each-other.

I am assuming Dolneril will be trying to right himself and recover. But feel free to put this into a post.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:36 pm

Crossing the river is of little concern to Dolenril and he places much of his attention on the dwarf, trying to be of assistance without injuring his pride. Thus, when his footing suddenly gives way, the elf finds himself suddenly submerged in the cold, murky waters, a bit disoriented. He flays about a bit before getting control over himself and then attempts to find the riverbed and a foothold so that he can right himself, realizing that the longer he takes the further downstream he is being carried.
So, would this be an athletics check?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Torwald is hoping to avoid slippery rocks, but the rush of the water blinds him to one dangerous one. He starts to slip, "Son of a...<SPLOOSH>" and under he goes. He manages to force himself back to the feet erupting from the water with a splash. He focuses on holding onto all the extra gear he has so he doesn't loose any to the current. "That's cold!" He hasn't noticed the elf has vanished into the water behind him yet as he is struggling with his own troubles.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring