Act 1: Journey Phase - On the right track?

The Battle of the Five Armies is over, Dale and Esgaroth have been rebuilt and a new King Under the Mountain sits on the throne of Erebor.

King Bard has issued a call to all adventurous folk, rallying them to his cause - to clear the lands of the north of all that would threaten the Free Peoples. Will you answer his call

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Act 1: The Bloody Camp

Post by Omenstar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:22 pm

Being at the back of the line, and being atop the shoulders of Eofor, Dobbin has the best vantage on the scene as their Fairfolk companion disappears under the current.

Without pausing to think, lest his fear of water overcome him, the diminutive Wanderer immediately reacts: he snatches the coiled rope off the outside of his pack, hands one end of it to Eofor, saying, "Take this and don't let go!" Then he stands up on the Rohirrim's shoulders and with rope in hand and a big gulp of air, he takes a great leap, dives into the water where he saw the Elf go down.

Dobbin gropes and grasps for any sign or grip on Dolenril...
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:54 am

Orin's eyes grow wide as the Elf and Manling fall under the waves, and in his unthinking state he presses his booted feet firmly down onto the surface and attempts to reach for the Elf, to grab him and now let go.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Bounder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bounder » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:05 pm

Stunned by the quick thinking of his small passenger, Eofor holds firm the rope and braces himself.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:11 pm

Orin feels around in the murky waters for any sign of the elf as Dobbin hands one end of the Rider's rope to Eofor and then dives off the horseman's shoulders into the waters around where he last saw Dolneril.

For his part, the struggling elf attempts to find his footing on the slippery and slimy riverbed. Although he fails to break the surface his movements disturb the water enough that a combination of the sturdy dwarf and the acrobatic hobbit manages to find and grab hold of the elven scholar.

After a brief, but no less worrying time under the water, the slim and waterlogged form of Dolneril breaks the surface of the river, accompanied by the two smallfolk. Between them and the rest of the party, they soon have Dolneril on the western bank of the river, gasping and coughing as he attempts to rid his lungs of the muddy waters.
Due to his exertions, Dolneril has 1 level of Exhaustion.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:40 pm

"My friends, I thank you. I came close to a rather ignoble end to my otherwise immortal life. Not a great showing for one of my people, I am afraid. Nevertheless, I am indebted to you. That was quite courageous of you Master Dobbin. I will not for get what you have done." Dolenril smiles meekly.

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Omenstar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

"Fairly spoken, as ever, Master Elf," replies Dobbin, "but for my part, I shall be glad to soon forget what I just did!"
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!” https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Torwald has reached the bank before he realizes just what is happening. Dobbin has jumped into the water after the submerged elf -- "I didn't expect that," he comments to anyone nearby. A hand out he helps haul folks up onto the bank as they reach it. "So much for a simple crossing, now I'm soaked and so is half our gear. We are going to need to dry out before moving on. I'll start us a fire."

He goes at once to collect something to make a fire with and gets something going for the wet ones to dry off around.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Omenstar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Omenstar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Waiting as patiently as he can for Torwald's fire, Dobbin stamps his feet and rubs his hands vigorously while muttering through chattering teeth, "Stupid hobbit! What were you thinking? You hate crossing rivers. You ain't no Stoor! You're a Harfoot! Daft more than doughty, to be sure, but definitely a Harfoot. Now you'll never be dry. You hate crossing rivers..."

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:42 am

Orin smiles, a bit tired and still shaky from the exertion, but otherwise fine.

"A fine showin' for all of us. Maybe we be worthy of being called company,aye?"
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:31 am

Soaked to the skin, Dolneril, Dobbin, Orin and Torwald huddle round the small fire that the Barding set for the party. Boots are removed and other gear is laid out by the fire in an attempt to dry it out before the journey continues.

While it is spring, the Long Marshes aren’t renowned for their warmth and everyone is shivering and stamping their feet with the chill air on their wet clothes and skin. All in all, a thoroughly unpleasant river crossing.

Dolneril, Dobbin and Torwald – any food carried in your packs or on your person has been ruined by the water.