Welcome to the Silmarillion

"The Silmarillion is the history of the War of the Exiled Elves against the Enemy, which all takes place in the North-west of the world (Middle-earth). Several tales of victory and tragedy are caught up in it; but it ends with catastrophe, and the passing of the Ancient World"

But what if something changed? What if Feanor never lead the Noldor into Exile? How would Middle-earth be different?
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Welcome to the workshop for The One Ring RPG homebrew setting of the First Age. This was born out of a joke between Vardaen, BBaggins and WBWeather on the Discord, but it turned into some good ideas.

This thread is for general chatter and ideas, brainstorming and the like. We'll make other more detailed ones later.

The basic concept is What If the Noldor never leave Valinor after Melkor takes the Silmarils? What would happen to the Avari, the Edain, to Middle-earth itself?

We will work out some interesting plots and cultures and ideas. Perhaps someone will actually run this game eventually!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Subscribed.

I think the main things we considered were:

1) A "pre-campaign" or "prelude" may or may not include the PCs. Tell the story of the events leading up to Melkor trying to destroy the Trees, but failing. (He has to fail, for I could never imagine Feanor willingly giving up the Silmarils to have the Trees remade). Melkor and Ungoliant's appearance would be caught be the Valar, and they would be chased off.
(There are other options in this prelude that we can explore)

Option:
After they are chased off, Melkor and Ungoliant return with Balrogs and Orcs and assail Valinor with open war. They lose, but the PCs are involved in the battle, and perhaps the victory that Melkor could win would be taking prisoners. OR perhaps the Trees WOULD be destroyed, but Feanor would have been killed in this battle, and so the Silmarils are used to restore the Trees. In the meantime, Melkor and the remains of his army escape to Middle Earth.

2) Melkor (and the rest) go and start making havoc in Beleriand/Middle Earth. Quietly at first. Doriath would be one of the only ones to really start noticing changes.

3) At the birth of Men, things would really get interesting. Melkor would not be mitigated by the Elves in influencing Men. Most men would therefore likely fall under his sway, with very few who remain true to themselves, or perhaps there would be an opening to say Doriath allies itself with one house of Men.

4) Somehow new Istari would be sent to aid Men, to help them rally against Morgoth. Or Tulkas and Orome are sent after him first. Perhaps he is captured and chained, but not before Sauron has been set up or has enough power to take over. Ulmo is another possibilty of someone who would hear of Men's plight (or the Avari/Teleri in ME) and be willing to aid them.

5) Sauron (or Melkor if he isn't captured by Tulkas/Orome, though I'm not sure how that would be possible) is the new Dark Lord, and he rules over men. The Istari oppose him, and the PCs are sent with the Istari to help carry out their mission. The Men in Middle Earth are mostly fallen. Doriath is of course glad that there are some sent to aid, but at the same time remains mostly closed to outsiders for fear/protection/isolation. The PCs could aid one house of the Men, and some of the Dwarves who would probably not be "good" per se, but certainly not allied with the forces of Melkor/Sauron. (I keep saying Melkor as opposed to Morgoth, since that would be his name without the Noldor renaming him.)

This is just as summary as I remember it. There might be more interesting ways to explore this.
There might we ways to get some of the Noldor to come to Middle Earth, without bringing the Silmarils along and having the story end up turning out the same way.