Ruins of Brinewall

When a trove of fireworks falls into the hands of the goblins of Brinestump Marsh, the people of Sandpoint fear an explosive invasion. But there's more afoot in the soggy wilderness than goblin hijinks and dangerous pyrotechnics. An investigation reveals mysteries and menaces aplenty, but also a treasure holding the answer to not just one of Varisia's greatest mysteries, but a conspiracy spanning continents and empires. Can the adventurers piece together a puzzle that links the owner of a sleepy village tavern to the unsolved destruction of a fortress-settlement? And can they withstand the ancient forces and secret destiny that have waited for them for decades?

A Paizo Adventure Path.

Run by Emperor Trogdor
AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Outside the Castle

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:44 am

Vilhelm is beginning to tire of the standing around. He looks around for a way to climb up and over the wall. A weathered wall. A tree. Anything that would get him ontop of it.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Outside the Castle

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:36 pm

"Ve could try and go around? Yes brother? Let's try." Brandurskjald joins his brother in looking for another way in, a hole in the wall, a sally port, a tree to chop down to lead against the wall, anything.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Outside the Castle

Post by Trogdor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Vilhelm looks around for a way up, but finds nothing immediately evident. Strangely enough, there aren't any convenient trees or rough wall portions to allow someone to easily climb up to the top of the battlements. It's almost as if the castle were designed to keep people out.

Brandur suggests that they move around the perimeter of the castle, looking for another way in. It's a long shot, he knows. The castle has only been out of use for a few decades, not nearly enough for it to fall to pieces. And there wasn't been any obvious breaches in the wall evident upon their approach. But the warpriest wants something to do, so he starts around the castle.

Meanwhile, up on the parapet, Sintyr moves against the closest dire corbie, but doesn't manage to connect with his bite. The bird man replies with a gash from his claw across the eidolon's side. It wasn't a bad wound, but Sintyr knows that enough of them would bring him down.

Then the other dire corbie charges Sintyr. But a stray piece of rubble trips him up and he almost falls. He catches himself and avoids disaster, but the attack is ruined.
Modifying Sintyr's action to comply with the terrain.

Sintyr moves N and NW and attacks the dire corbie: 9; miss

Dire corbie #2 attacks: 21; hit for 4 damage

Dire corbie #3 charges (+2 charge, +2 flank): "1" (25; normal miss)

FWIW, no matter where Sintyr moved, if he wanted to engage DC2, he'd have gotten flanked by DC3.

Sorry all the action is taking place away from the group. And unfortunately, this is a castle, so all the trees that might have been helpful have been cleared away from the area around the walls. And no convenient trees have popped up in the ensuing 30 years.
Initiative, Round 4: Sintyr 7, Dire Corbies 5
Ander: full
Brandur: full
Khoshta: full
Sintyr: 16/24
Vilhelm: 23/27

Dire Corbie #2: full
Dire Corbie #3: full

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Outside the Castle

Post by Eilandor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Khoshta stands there with a rope in one hand and his quarterstaff in the other. He taps the quarterstaff against the stone wall of the castle several times. "I have one half of what we need to scale this wall. Tell me one of you has a grappling hook in your pack?"
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Outside the Castle

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Vilhelm shrugs at Khoshta."Sadly, I did not bring any gear to scale castle walls."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Outside the Castle

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:10 pm

Sintyr hisses and backs up against the wall, making it harder for the birdmen to flank him. As he does so he swipes with his claws and fangs at the corbie again, trying to bring it down.

Ander kind of does a nervous dance in place, looking up at the wall where his eidolon is doing battle. He then blinks, and rummages in his pack. "Grappling hook, you say? I'd been thinking it would be useful to help pull downed trees off the path, not scaling walls. But yeah, I've got one!"
5' step North. Full attack #2. 3x 1d20+6. Bite is 1d6+3. 2x Claws are 1d4+3 each.

And miracles of miracles, for some reason I bought a grappling hook at character creation.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Outside the Castle

Post by Eilandor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Khoshta grabs the hook from Ander and quickly gets to tying his rope to it. He tugs on in several times as a sort of test, then steps back and starts whirling it. Hoping his timing is right, he releases his grip, sending the hook towards the top of the castle wall.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Outside the Castle

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Brandurskjald stops a twenty some paces around to the right.

"Fool of a priest!" The northman also has a rope with grapple in his pack, in fact its looped around and hanging from the back of his pack out in plain view. "Ve can try and get a few of us going up the valls at vonce!"

Pacing back to the others he straps down his shield and axe and spits on his hands. Then he goes about making some knots along the rope at semi regular intervals to help in climging. "Vhat I vould give for a climbing harness right about now."
Duh, I have Grappling Hook and 50ft of Rope! Up we go in 2 lines

He has 5 pitons too so he could drive a few foot holds into the wall if that would give us a climb bonus. Plus knot the rope up too.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Outside the Castle

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:53 am

"From no way up, to having two ways up. We are a bunch of problem solvers. It is no mystery of how we survived this long." Vilhelm nods and helps Brand.