Chapter 1: Station

When a mysterious visitor comes to Absalom Station selling items belonging to a lost Starfinder, the Starfinder Society takes note. The PCs are dispatched to discover out how the recent arrival found these items, leading them on a series of quests beyond the Pact Worlds and into the stars.

Run by ManWithDoor
JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:03 pm

Keskodai's mandibles twitch thoughtfully. He is near Raia, and as negotiations begin he keeps an eye on the pawnbroker.
Not sure if perception or diplomacy is appropriate to figure out his minimum price point as negotiations proceed. Either way, staying within ten feet of Raia to use communalism for it and roll twice.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:13 am

"Well, now that's the thing, isn't it. Information is valuable, is it not. Even to a lash-ling such as yourself." He stands tall and wide, his large form dominating the space he is in. "I was going to say 50 for knowledge like that, but you Starfinder folk are repeat customers. For friends like that, I'd say 20 credits would be a generous offer." His tongue again flicks along his dry, scaly lips.
RP out a bit your reaction / 'negotiation'. I'll roll once you start that, with appropriate Aid Another rolls as you back each other up.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:51 pm

He's trying his luck. An equally insulting counteroffer might be in order.

The shirren priest's mandibles chatter in what might be wry amusement, or maybe suppressed rage?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Quig puts the Fuzlehorn to his mouth and blows. Nothing happens.

*** A cross the quad ***

A pair of Andoliuan Fuzle Pups start screaming and jumping about as the 'sound' of the Fuzlehorn drives them mad much to the dismay of the man taking them for a walk. Scout, the drone floats about outside and relays the data of the pups back to the ratman.

*** Meanwhile Back Inside ***

Quig smiles wide, "And it even works!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:16 pm

"Fifty," Raia says with a laugh. "We're not venture-captains, don't you know. In fact, we're just contract employees. Even twenty credits is above our pay grade. It might be worth five credits. I think we can spare that much from our already meager pay."

She doesn't really think that the shopkeeper will go for her low-ball offer. And frankly, the information was worth more. But at least it sets the parameters of the negotiation. The price will go up, it's certain. But with luck they won't have to pay the full 20 he's asking.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:26 pm

After a long moment looking around at the group, he picks at a sharp tooth with a long claw, and then rolls his eyes and backs off. "5 credits aren't worth my time to sit here and debate. Arvin already paid me for the insignias, and the ratling bought something anyways, so I've made plenty of profit already." He leans against his desk and folds his arms. "The seller was named Exegara, and she wasn't from around here. Wore a flight suit, like she had just come off a long trip. Once she had her money, she asked about where to purchase clean skeletons. I don't carry goods like that, so I sent her to the Vat Garden." His face crinkles up in distaste.

"Oh, and one more thing. She was definitely an Eoxian. She looks like a man-ling, but she didn't breathe or blink or nothing. Oh, and she mentioned in passing about hiring some local muscle, 'just in case'. I don't know if it's worth it to you to be messing around with the undead, but that's your business. I'm just a merchant, not some fancy-pants hero of the Starfinder Society." He shrugs, content to leave it at that.
Raia looks to be doing all the out-loud negotiations, so Raia makes the Diplomacy check (+2), everyone else aids. Keskodai is providing mental advice (passed), Quig bought something (passed), and Iseph is looking disinterested and might just walk away (passed as well). I'm not seeing the intimidation/bluster advice you got from Arvin, so no additional +2. But you're also very clearly not just bending to his demands, so no -2. It's a wash.
- So Raia doing a DC 16 Diplomacy check with +8 total ... rolled a Nat 20. OK, yeah, 28 will do.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:18 pm

"Eoxian! Eoxian! What's an Eoxian?" Then he explains and he quints through his goggles, "Oh right and Eoxian!"

The rat man almost steals something, without even thinking about it, then he stops himself and moves to the door. "Vat Garden, that's where we have to go, find this Exegara and her horde of undead skeletons. Wait, what?" He shocks himself with his statement, then shrugs, "Come on, let's go to the Garden!" He steps outside and calls Scout down, the drone buzzes almost happily.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Keskodai follows Quig, his antennae rigid. Once outside, he allows himself a low, predatory hiss.

The Eoxians are peddlers of undeath, my son. Their blasphemy against the Mother of Graves stains the Material Plane. You will see justice done against her, or see your father perish in holy duty.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:53 pm

"Sounds.... bleak!"

Quig walks over to a kiosk and checks the map, "So we are here. We go here?" His tail swishes side to side eagerly.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:50 am

Bleak indeed! Downlow's Vat Garden was once a vast pool of bio-active substances that drained away decades ago. The residue in the pool still enhances the growth of biological organisms, and an enterprising ysoki family purchased the empty pool and turned it into a garden, selling fresh plants around Absalom Station. Demand exceeded their supply, so the family took in any sort of biological waste as mulch to grow their riotous tangle of plants. An open secret around Downlow is that the ysoki also act as a mortuary for the very poor; they take dead bodies for free as mulch for their plants. This side business isn't technically illegal, and the ysoki cultivate good relations with local law enforcement for protection.

As the group of hirelings approach, the station passageways open into an enormous sunken pool, filled with a riotous growth of plants. A narrow walkway leading to other parts of Downlow encircles the overgrown vat, and a spire of some kind of machinery stands in its center. For such a busy section of Downlow, the area is surprisingly quiet. Two ladders and a steep staircase pierce the foliage, and lead down into the vat.

The area is quiet. A little too quiet...