Chapter 3: The Unbounded Wayfarer

When a mysterious visitor comes to Absalom Station selling items belonging to a lost Starfinder, the Starfinder Society takes note. The PCs are dispatched to discover out how the recent arrival found these items, leading them on a series of quests beyond the Pact Worlds and into the stars.

Run by ManWithDoor
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:14 am

Barkley smiles at the intent to stay with the group. "Then you're most welcome aboard, friend Zindfal. Make yourself at home. Let me know if you have any particular needs, and we'll do our best to accommodate them. We were in a bit of a hurry to make planetfall, but now that we are going home we can take our time navigating the orbital debris. We could have our impressive Jalesh rush through, but I think I can make an executive decision that a well-deserved rest is in order. We can handle operations while you recover."
You all fully recover your health and get yourself situated away. If you want you can have more getting-to-know-you RP. Otherwise by Tuesday I'll forward us to the trip home.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Jalesh retires to his quarters for a quick power nap, later on he will join the rest of the crew, but for now the need to rest calls to him.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:14 pm

Quig relaxes, food, shower, nap, then tinkering with Scout and his gear. Eventually he returns to the engine room to lend a hand there, he likes the hum of the drive, but he doesn't do much in seeking out the others unless its at meal time.
I'm good with back to base
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sat May 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Keskodai spends a little extra time with his son on the trip back, while still making time for Zindfal and the crew. Reconnecting with people after an encounter like the one they had is essential.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 pm

Many hours are spent slowly navigating the debris field surrounding the world of Ulmarid. The crewman piloting the ship grumbles that the asteroids seem more agitated than they were upon approach the day before. Warning klaxons blare and the ship lurches side to side. But eventually the Loreseeker rises from the hostile planet into the dark blackness of the void, safe from the storms and chaos below.

Immediately upon clearing the debris field, a large vessel of rusted metal slips from behind an enormous asteroid, its weapons already firing. The front of the ship resembles a stylized shark, a predator on the hunt. The design on the wings are painted with skull and crossbones - a clear indication of space pirates. The computer comes up negative on an Ident of the ship, but it perfectly matches the scans recovered from both the Endless Thredony and the Unbounded Wayfarer. These are the pirates that caused the death of the Starfinders and set this whole mission in motion!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Mon May 06, 2019 2:41 pm

Sitting at the helm, Jalesh reacts immediately when the alarms set off. Speaking over the comms he says. "Everybody brace yourselves, we are taking evasive maneuvers."
Piloting check to evade onslaught
Last edited by Hungry Xenomorph on Tue May 07, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 06, 2019 3:58 pm

Quig is tossed to the side as the ship lurches into evasive mode before he's ready. Once he recovers he races to the nearly control panel and starts a scan of just what is going on. He shouts over the coms, "What-what! What trouble.....oooh I see! Pirates!" He will assist with opening scans of the enemy ship, looking for weakness in armor, or weapon systems.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon May 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Keskodai moves to man a cannon, preferring to remain alive for the moment.

Lathandris
Level 3
Level 3
User Class: Druid

Post by Lathandris » Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 pm

"I believe I am poorly suited to help in this kind of engagement, assuming there is no boarding action. How best can I help or is staying out of the way the best I can currently offer?"
Meta-Gaming I think the best Zindfal can offer up is to man a gun.... but he is not skilled in Piloting or high in dexterity so his attack bonuses will be low

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu May 09, 2019 7:32 pm

Most people think of the Vesk as slow but mighty. Not-so-gentle giants who'll ram a combat pike through your spleen. Jalesh is no weakling, and he thoroughly bucks the stereotype of slow. His reflexes are top-notch, and he activates the thrusters to swiftly roll and turn. The pair of torpedoes that cleared the debris field streak past the ship, missing it by mere meters. What was intended to be a crippling surprise attack has been thwarted. Now all you have to deal with are all the other weapons they intend to throw at you. Huzzah?

While Zindfal tries to find a role in the chaos, the priest of Pharasma goes into action, trying to introduce these pirates a bit early to his Goddess. Keskodai mans the coilgun turret, and manages to send a few high velocity shells right into the front of the pursuing pirates. Their shields are still holding, but at least they know the Starfinders are armed and ready for a fight.

Quig pulls up the augur systems and begins to scan the enemy raider. What he initially sees is definitely not comforting. While their ship was far speedier than the Eoxian frigate, these pirates know their business. The Lawblight has beefed up thrusters and approximately twice the firepower of the Loreseeker. In a straight brawl they would endure the same fate as the Unbounded Wayfarer, just another broken ship in a broken system. Their are some good notes such as their superior maneuverability in the debris field, better Drift engines, and generally thicker armor and shielding. Better than nothing.

After a couple minutes he notices irregularities in the power readings coming from the enemy engine compartment. A lesser engineer would either have not noticed, or been too absorbed in the danger of the moment. However, Quig is no regular engineer. Analyzing the patterns he notices that the engines themselves are being pushed past their safety limits to power such mighty engines and weapons. Perhaps this could be turned to their advantage in some way?
Jalesh: "Fox, do a Barrel Roll!" Piloting check to Evade: 9+8+1(ship) = 18, Success.
- Note: While armor check penalties generally apply to Piloting, under most Space Combat situations I'm going to ignore the AC penalty since you could unequip the cumbersome armor to get at the controls. If you're trying to drive a car while in Heavy Armor then that certainly makes sense, or doing a hostile boarding action and taking over their cockpit so you can't strip down. That sort of thing.

Quig: Computers check to Scan their ship. Nat 20! 20+9+2(ship) = 31, Critical Success.

Keskodai: Coilgun Turret vs. Lawblight: 17+1 = 18, Hit for 11 damage. Enemy Front Shields almost down.

Zindfal: Lost the Round trying to figure out what to do. ... which makes perfect sense since you're new to the ship and haven't established with the party and crew what to do in hostile situations.
- In the book there is a 'Captain' Role. You've basically a Paladin, so you've got those sweet Charisma stats and skills. Can Aid Another using Diplomacy (+2 on their check), or Intimidate (+4 on their check, may hate you later). Could also Taunt the enemy (Bluff or Intimidate) to try to give them the equivalent of Shaken on their rolls.
I don't find the space combat system in Starfinder all that interesting, so I'm running it far more Cinematically, kinda like the L5R Mass Combat system. You give me your general tactics, I'll bring up Heroic Events and the like for you to choose from. You'll declare your Action, and we'll see what comes of it.

General Ship Comparisons (Loreseeker vs Lawblight):
- They are a pirate ship, so value speed and weaponry. You however have better maneuverability (turning and the like), better armor, better shields, and better Drift engines (i.e. if you can 'warp' out of there, they can't catch up to you).
- Loreseeker Weapons = Front (light laser), Left & Right (light lasers), Turret (medium coilgun)
- Lawblight (enemy) Weapons = Front (medium coilgun and heavy torpedoes), Turret (medium coilgun), Back (light laser)
Heroic Opportunities:
1) "Run Away!" While the Lawblight raider is fast and armed to the teeth, it is also less maneuverable than the Loreseeker, and in the orbit of a planet with an extensive debris field, that matters! It may be possible to weave and juke enough to lose your attacker, and then retreat to the safely of the Drift.

2) "For the Emperor!" Raiders anticipate their prey to either surrender, run away, or put up a hopeless fight. They intend to disable the Loreseeker's engines and Board. You have inferior weaponry and weaker sub-light engines, an ideal combination. But they don't know about the elite freelancers aboard. Why wait and play their game? Either pretend to be crippled and then ambush them when they board, or take the offensive and board their asses!

3) (from the Critical) "No, Not Like This!" Pirates aren't always the best engineers, even though they live or die according to how well run their ships are. Nobody promised consistency in the universe. The Lawblight's thrusters and weapons systems are sucking up more power than this model was designed to output, making their engine redline. If the chase goes longer than anticipated they might be forced to stop to prevent a catastrophe. Alternatively, you know, you've got weapons too. While dangerous to get closer to their arsenal, a few nudges in the right direction might tilt the engine redline into a veritable fireworks show!