Chapter 1: Caged

Ancient and powerful, the rulers of the Calabim posses a dark secret. Through fell ritual their lives can be prolonged at the expense of others, and by this act Alexis and Flauros have created a decadent vampiric aristocracy. Their battlefield success comes at a price they are only too happy to pay -- the blood of their human thralls, kept in miserable conditions to serve as little more than cattle. This secret would surely incense all honorable nations of Patria, but could even the strongest compare to the might of a vampire lord? Perhaps their enemies are willing to dismiss the ugly rumors as just that, to avoid the danger of sharing the fate of the sad Calabim humans.

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Haven Fara - Searching for Survivors

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 pm

You haven't ever seen Mongo so fearful. The normally brave and brash barbarian is freaking out at all the spiders around an not just little spiders, but big ass spiders, so its even worse. He lags behind, is constantly scanning the web canopy and generally is on edge ready to flee.

Moving toward the noise you sneak up on one of the houses and peer into a window. You see a man inside looting the place. He is dressed in simple clothing, with oddly angular features, similar to Arianne's own. He has a bunch of odds and ends tucked under one arm and is rummaging about for more lootables in the home. He does not seem to hear you or notice you peeking through the open window.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Mongo, desperate to get away from the looming webs all around him, runs right at the house to get to safety. He crashes through the door and dives to a corner of the room, cowering, hyperventilating, and slightly whimpering.
Totally ignoring the looter, just diving for safety. If the door is locked, he instead jumps through the open window to get away from the spiders.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:44 pm

Eyris puts away her bow, gets out her spear and enters the house, standing in the doorway, blocking it. "What doing here, you?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Mongo bursts through the door, he shocks the looter by the violence of his entrance. Yet Mongo's flurry of action is directed at fleeing not fighting and he throws himself into a corner, and half covers himself with a few goat wool blankets piled up there that smell like wet dog.

The looter is a skinny man with a patchy beard, a missing tooth, and a set of oily leather armor. He jumps as Mongo bursts in and then drops all the loot he's taken when Eyris stalks in after spear in hand. He gulps down, "Wha-aa I wasn't doing anything! I was just looking for clues!" He's a terrible liar, but he's only lightly armed with a dagger on his belt and seems the sort to easily be intimidated.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:58 pm

"Who are you, where from? Quick answer or skewer you, me!" Eyris says, pointing the spear at the man.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:52 pm

Arianna joins inside the building, "That is one of Galen's men, a thug and rat." She narrows her eyes.

He nods, "Yes, no, I mean, yes I'm one of Galen's men, Marric,I live in Haven Fara! I'm just looking t-t-t-o see where everyone else went. I'm not rat." He points at Arianna, "I know you, means not everyone is dead."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Mongo isn't listening to the conversation, the chattering sounding like hollow whining in the back of his mind. He slows down his hyperventilation, no longer surrounded by a multitude of spiders and their accursed webs. It will be a while before he is up for a conversation, but he is panicking less now.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:09 pm

"Who is Galen?"

Tolan's long silence is broken by a neutral question as he gazes at Marric.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Started to get his courage back, he stands up tall. "Galen is one of the elders of the village."

Arianna sneers, "He little more than a bully and a thug. If I had to guess it was he that sold us out to the slavers. Cares for nothing but profit."

Marric shakes his head, "No way, Galen is a bit rough, but he would never do that. Or, well he wouldn't have done that. He's missing you know that right?"

Arianna snorts, "Good riddance, got what was coming to him."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:13 am

"Who else is left in the village, Marric?"

Tolan speaks without accusation, but only a fool could miss the intensity of his stare.