Chapter I: Blood on the Snow - February 25th, 2960

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

geomtje
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Warden

Re: Chapter I: Blood on the Snow - The Horse Eater

Post by geomtje » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Éodir, who is not known with the customs of finding any form of treasure asks “to whom does this belong? We cannot just take it for ourselves can we? What if this belongs from one of the farmers? They might need it to undo the damage of what this foul beast did to their homes.”

It is only after ensuring words of the others that Éodir reluctantly starts to look for anything that might interest him.
J.J.R. Tolkien wrote:...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Torwin nods at Eodir's questions, "Your concern is right. That is why we will bring all of the gold and treasure to the King. The gold he will disperse as he deems right, and certainly it will be used to help those villages harmed by the Horse Eater."

More quietly he adds, "If there is some treasure that you find, then bring it too and submit it to him. King Thengel may not allow you to keep it, but he may deem you have earned a reward."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 pm

Ok. I am back home and am in the process of getting caught back up on life and work. I will try to get the game going again ASAP, thanks for being patient.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Re: Chapter I: Blood on the Snow - After the Battle

Post by Wbweather » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:38 am

Treasure Search Rolls:
Éodir: 8,2
Hereweald: 10,7
Istril:1,2
Sangric: 7, Gandalf!
Théofred:1,Sauron!
Torwin:1,10

Sangric and Théofred both find something. Théofred must pass a corruption test (TN 14) to avoid a shadow point.

Théofred's corruption test: SAURON*,5 Totaling 5: Fail, gain a point of shadow

Sangric rolls 3 success dice - 2,6t,6t: Woundrous artifact wit 2 blessings
Théofred rolls 3 success dice - 1,1,6t: Wondrous artifact
You all take time to search through the cave in the dim light. Mostly you find rusted and broken armor and weapons. Sangric finds a surprisingly well kept cloak that seems to blend into the brush almost invisibly when the wearer stands still and even when moving is difficult to see. It looks like it has been crafted by what some might call magic arts, while others would say it is of elven make. You get the sense that it does have some "magical" properties about it.

Théofred finds a silver circlet, skillfully crafted in a dwarven fashion. In the center is a single ruby that looks to be of considerable value. As he reaches and touches it, he feels a bite of cold shoot up his arm and for a moment he has the thought that he is a small child, hiding in the hills and something is searching for him, wanting to devour him. He shudders, but even after the vision passes, he feels a darkness in his soul. As he places it on his head, he can sense that it has some blessing that it gives its wearer, although what blessing, he cannot tell.

There is little left to do. A fire is built and the body of the troll is burnt. Ulfur's remains are placed on a make shift stretcher and carried out of the Grimgelad. His men see you coming and seem surprised at first that you have all survived. They thank you for returning their leader and seem genuinely contrite, offering many apologies.

What suprises some of you is the sight of Léora and her group waiting with Ulfur's men. The two groups seem to be watching eachother closely. Léora strides forward and examines the body closely for several seconds and then nods to her group with what almost appears to be a smile on her face.

Imhar and his people watch you closely to see what you would do with the treasure and how you will treat them, now that the battle is over and the Horse Eater is slain.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Hereweald take out Ulfur's blade, holding it in both hands, still sheathed. "I give this to you, so you may return it to Ulfur's son or his family. I do not know his situation at home. We give you his body as well, so that you, his men, can honor him properly."

The hunter notices the looks of Leora but says nothing, he turns to the Dunlending. "No its time to go, a share of the spoils are yours, you bleed red just like we did against the beast. Will you return home now? Or is there more you feel you need to do?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Imhar replies to Hereweald, "I gave my word that I would return to the halls of your king, if that is what you wish. Or if you would give us gold to help those of our own who have suffered, then we will take that and with it, our leave."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:36 pm

Théofred should have found a wondrous artifact too. I am reconsidering giving Sangric a famous weapon/armor. Let me think about it tonight and I will edit the post.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Torwin notices Leora and acknowledges her, before responding to Imhar.

"Perhaps King Thengel ought to make this decision. One the one hand, he may be glad that we came to the conclusion he would have and saved him the time; on the other hand I do not want that we overstep his authority. I for one will argue that, if half of the destruction caused was to holdings of your folk, then half the gold should go to you. Or whatever measure is fair, given where the troll attacked. If you are willing to come to the halls of Thengel, then I swear for your protection as long as you are in Rohirrim lands."

Later when they have finished discussing these matters, Torwin approaches Leora, "So what did you find in your search?"

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:48 am

"I think coming before the king is the right thing to do," Istril says, agreeing with Torwin. She didn't spend much time searching the hoard, being preoccupied with those still living. "I would hope that it could provide an opportunity to build a bridge between your two peoples. Additionally, we would not be overstepping our authority, and he would know best how to properly reward these men for their efforts here."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:21 pm

Hereweald nods, "Then you will come to see the King. I too will do what is in my power to keep you safe until we reach King Thengel. We must all abide by his ruling once we are there." He looks to Torwin and Leora and is curious as well to hear what she and her group discovered, it must be similar to have her reached the Grimglade also.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring