Chapter I: Blood on the Snow - February 25th, 2960

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Chapter I: Blood on the Snow - After the Battle

Post by Wbweather » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:43 pm

Ulfúr's sword is given to his followers who take his remains and then prepare to leave. If there is some resentment in their glances, they at least are wise enough to be contrite in their speech as they take their leave. Léora and her people watch them closely and you can tell that there is no love lost between the two groups of people.

Imhar speaks with his people in their own language for a time before he returns to your group. "We have made a decision. I will travel with you to the halls of your king, trusting you for protection. I will present our case before him. Let us see how receptive this new king is to the people of Dunland. He will decide what share of the gold we will receive for our part in the slaying of this beast. I hope that he will show more wisdom in dealing with our people than his father."

Léora and her people stay to assist in the making of camp. That night there is some celebration and your group and hers spend some time interacting and getting to know each other. Several of them are quick to tell you what they know of Ulfúr's reputation. He was always knownbe boastful but strong, and a proud son of the Mark. Most folk liked him, while also knowing to be wary of him in his cups. Many share his views on the threat posed by the Dunlendings, and his easy solutions are popular. It is true that he slew a fellow minstrel, though the cause was often disputed. Some say he was simply jealous of his rival’s clear voice. Others say he slew a man of Dunlending blood, because he couldn’t bear Dunlending songs to be heard in Edoras. When asked about Léora's interest in him, they are generally quiet, suggesting she might be able to tell you more if you ask her.

Later that evening the shieldmaiden does just that, telling you her story. The minstrel slain by Ulfúr was her brother. She had sworn to get revenge on the man and for years has gathered people about her for that reason. She had joined the quest to spy on Ulfúr, hoping to find a way to disgrace him or perhaps even exact revenge. Her people had been following Ulfúr, They soon had noticed that Ulfúr had been following you with the intention of swooping in at the last minute and getting credit for ending the crisis. She and her people arrived to find Ulfúr dead and the troll slain by your hand.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Torwin is glad to know that Léora found a justice in these events that have come to pass, and at the same time, did not have to enact revenge herself.

They sit by the fire, eating, drinking, thankful for now that the danger of the Grimgelad is passed. "I would gladly work with you and your followers again, should the King have the need for us to serve," he says to her. Then looking at the others sitting nearby he adds, speaking to no one directly, "But I wonder if the true problem has been dealt with. It's clear to me that whatever the voice was, it controlled the beast and made it cunning and powerful. I'm afraid we will only hear of problems anew in the Westfold in the coming days."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:35 am

"Torwin speaks for me as well," Istril confirms, her voice quiet. "My mind is unsettled at the possibilities."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Re: Chapter I: Blood on the Snow - Fight or Flyte

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:26 am

The next day dawns with somewhat less chill in the air. The Dunlendings depart, Imhar alone accompanying you to Edoras. Léora and her people will ride with you as well. You break camp and make your way back towards Edoras. Most of the day passes with little excitement. The White Mountains off to your right seem somewhat less menacing than they did on your ride to the Grimgelad. Soon the sun is decending toward the horizon behind you in the west. You send scouts out to look for a safe camp site.

That is when you notice a group of riders blocking your further progress on the road. You draw closer, seeing some familiar faces as you approach. This seems to be Ufúr's ban as well as several more warriors who seem to have joined them overnight. One among them is so close in resemblance to Ulúr as to make you question if you are seeing a ghost. They all hold weapons though none move save that man who spurs his horse forward to confront you.

"I am Héastan, brother of Ulfúr. I know of your allegiance with the Dunlending barbarians. My brother discovered your betrayal and so you had your creature slay him. Well, now that your pet is dead and your barbarians have left you, I will see that you face justice for your actions." As he speaks the men behind him make glances at one another.

geomtje
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Warden

Post by geomtje » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Is Héastan addressing anyone in particular or just the group in general?
J.J.R. Tolkien wrote:...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Torwin begins to chant an old battle song, a song written by a famous minstrel named Ulf of Esgaroth, about the Men of Eorl the Young coming to the rescue of Cirion at Celebrant. The words ring out, though Torwin does not yet know if the meaning will sink in:

The true enemy were and are the Orcs, and their master out of Dol Guldur, who had waylaid the Eotheod on their ride to rescue Calenardhon.
Song 3
Post edited to retcon handing out the sword, since that was already done...
Last edited by Blubbo_Baggins on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Héastan is addressing your whole group.

geomtje
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Warden

Post by geomtje » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Éodir looks around as to what the other will do, but decides to brake the silent tension. “Greetings Héastan, and my condolences. We avenged your brother’s death by slaying the troll that was harassing the farmers in the area.” He now feels very aware of the eye’s that are upon him. Though his knee’s feel heavy, he continues on. “We are now on our way to Edoras to complete our quest set by the King. We were told not to harm any person, when possible, but bring them to the King instead and to led him decide upon fate of the situation at hand. You are more than welcome to join us on our road to Edoras and to witness justice served.” He looks at Héastan in anticipation of his reaction, not acknowledging any possible reaction from Imhar.
Courtesy 2, +6 hope when needed
J.J.R. Tolkien wrote:...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Hereweald, seated atop his horse, just rests his hand on the pommel of his sword. He looks at the group of men, "Héastan? Then your brother's blade has been returned to you by his men?" Its all the hunter adds at this point after the others have a moment to speak. His eyes keep watch on Héastan's men, not trusting any of this.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Istril sits astride her borrowed steed, Windrǣs, in watchful silence, making no move for a weapon. She doesn't wish to accidentally provoke battle with these wayward Rohirrim.